Quantcast

Video Hosting for the dumb

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Next question.

Just got a badass ninja camcorder and badass ninja editing software and I'd like to teach the world to sing. Either that or show off my friends and my riding schtuff.

I'm aware of putfile but do we have a better contender? Free or close to free is nice of course. I'd be posting them places like here so a charge/bandwidth thing would be a negative.

tanks

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't know how "close to free" you'd prefer, but ...

www.kidwoo.com ?

Maybe it's worth it to set up your own website. Especially if this is something you intend on doing often. Sure, there is some expense up front and for annual renewals, but you'd have more control of file size, transfers, etc.

You could probably even get the go daddy girl to come over and help you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nick said:
I don't know how "close to free" you'd prefer, but ...

www.kidwoo.com ?

Maybe it's worth it to set up your own website. Especially if this is something you intend on doing often. Sure, there is some expense up front and for annual renewals, but you'd have more control of file size, transfers, etc.

You could probably even get the go daddy girl to come over and help you.

Whoa sweet. Somebody used to own that domain name. Seems open now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but by hosting a site, don't you get a given amount of bandwidth to use? Meaning if it's high traffic, especially with videos, you can theoretically get "maxed out" and you have to wait until next month for active downloads again?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am very tempted to register kidwoo.com. :evil:

I was looking at hosting option the other day and found that if you only need one domain and a basic website Godaddy.com does have some decent packages.

I run a virtual server thingie where I can host almost unlimited domains so it wasn't as cost effective for me. I could sell you hosting with a ton of bandwidth but I can't beat godaddy's prices.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
kidwoo said:
Whoa sweet. Somebody used to own that domain name. Seems open now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but by hosting a site, don't you get a given amount of bandwidth to use? Meaning if it's high traffic, especially with videos, you can theoretically get "maxed out" and you have to wait until next month for active downloads again?
better get it while it's available then.

Correct, but you can get pretty large bandwidth packages that would allow for many d/ls, it depends on how much content you make available and the size of the files. That, and how much $ you want to spend.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/jump_pages/host_compare.asp?se=+&app_hdr=99&ci=4776

Pete's site has 100s of mb of video available at any given time, and it's fairly well known. I'd be curious what his monthly transfer rate is on average.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Nick said:
Pete's site has 100s of mb of video available at any given time, and it's fairly well known. I'd be curious what his monthly transfer rate is on average.
Video-only is 4.3 GB of content.

Video-only monthly bandwidth is usually 420-440 GB.

Hosting prices/bandwidth allowances have gotten really cheap/relatively big in recent years.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
justsomeguy said:
Video-only is 4.3 GB of content.

Video-only monthly bandwidth is usually 420-440 GB.

Hosting prices/bandwidth allowances have gotten really cheap/relatively big in recent years.
Good to know. I was curious myself.

I have grandiose delusions of high output right now and your site would certainly be considered the upper end of the spectrum as far as usage.

I appreciate the GGG footage you've put together in years past btw .

Anyone care to teach me how to use premiere?:help::D

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Putfile.com won't work for monkies in Europe, and the YouTube quality of my .avi movie is so poor you really can't see much.

I'm trying www.dominatevideos.net, and that eengodideee.au thing kinda might work too. Sheesh, a whole website for just an occaisonal vid? Dang.

If it's free it's for me.

*fingers crossed hoping dominatevideos.net works*

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
SCOTTAY said:
i got some bandwith i dont use, lemme know if you still need help.
Thanks man. But I'm actually going to get my own site. It's a lot cheaper than I thought and It might keep me motivated to stay active with the camera(s).

you cant film ninjas......
Nor would I try. But by using technology on par with ninja badassness, I should be able to obtain bike video badassness. Limited only by my severe lack of talent of course.