Quantcast

Video-St Eds and Finn

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Uh both videos I downloaded from your site, the full length clips wont play it says its "not a file Quicktime can understand"

guess streaming is fine, cuz it works

marz

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Spokangeles
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Uh both videos I downloaded from your site, the full length clips wont play it says its "not a file Quicktime can understand"

guess streaming is fine, cuz it works
Thanks for the feedback. I've got plenty of bandwidth so feel free to stream the videos. If the video streams properly it is likely the file is OK. When you downloaded the movie did the file extension get changed? It should be .mp4 or .mov if it's not, Quicktime will bork on it. I'll see if I can trouble shoot the problem.

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
If you DL it, rename the .MOV file to .MP4 and it works fine.
Looks like QT isnt smart enough to figure out that its an MP4 file with the wrong extension.

marz

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Spokangeles
I've replicated the problem with the download on win 2000 and Quicktime 6.0.2 It appears that the problem is not with quicktime because the file on my server is .mp4, windows decides to put the .mov extension on instead for some reason when you download the file and save it to disk. Could those of you who have downloaded the file and got a .mov instead of a .mp4 please post the versions of Quicktime and Windows you're using. To determine the version of quicktime go to the quicktime control panel, there should be an "about quicktime" pull down menu choice which will list the version number, you can also just right click the application and choose "properties" which will list the version number of the quicktime .exe file. Thanks for the input!

marz

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Spokangeles
Originally posted by Honeywell
Quicktime 6.5
Windows XP Home

Same deal, won't play the .mov file and renaming it to .mp4 didn't work.
Renaming the file to .mp4 does work. However, you need to tell windows to show file extensions. By default all versions of Windows I've used hide file extensions. You set windows explorer (not internet explorer) to show all file extensions. To make the setting open my computer, go to the "Tools" menu, pick the "Folder options..." submenu, click the "view" tab and then uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types". You should then see the file you downloaded is called Saint_Finn.mov at which time you can rename it to Saint_Finn.mp4 and you'll be able to watch it. I'm still trying to figure out how windows decides to add the .mov extension instead of leaving it .mp4 as it is on my server.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by marz
Renaming the file to .mp4 does work. However, you need to tell windows to show file extensions. By default all versions of Windows I've used hide file extensions. You set windows explorer (not internet explorer) to show all file extensions. To make the setting open my computer, go to the "Tools" menu, pick the "Folder options..." submenu, click the "view" tab and then uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types". You should then see the file you downloaded is called Saint_Finn.mov at which time you can rename it to Saint_Finn.mp4 and you'll be able to watch it. I'm still trying to figure out how windows decides to add the .mov extension instead of leaving it .mp4 as it is on my server.
Thanks, that worked. I tried to rename it .mp4 but I guess I had to have the "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked first.