Quantcast

Visiting the East Coast......

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
My mom and I are doing the whole tourist thing over there at the end of September and I need a little traveling info....

We are flying into Boston, staying there for a couple days, and then taking the train into NYC. We are visiting NY for 3 days then have reservations in Rhode Island and Martha Vineyard.

I'm NOT driving in Boston and NY, but I'm not sure how to get to Rhode Island. I was thinking of taking a train to New Haven or some place in Connecticut and driving from there, but I'm not familiar with the distantness, and connivance.

Any info from you East Coasters would be great! Thanks in advance! :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
visit harvard square in boston, walk around the yard. don't rub john harvard's shoe! :dead: (people piss on it). to get there take the red line towards alewife. other good touristy things to do/see: freedom trail, of course: http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/ ; maybe walk around beacon hill, rub elbows with kerry's secret service agents? :D

to get to rhode island you should be able to take the commuter rail, no problem. amtrak is your friend. you can catch them and buy tickets at south station (again on the red line), but you probably should at least check schedules on the amtrak website first.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'd skip Rhode Island. There is nothing to see there. :D

New Haven would be a good place to stop. It's about halfway between NY and RI on I-95. Problem is, if you stop in New Haven, you're in New Haven (not exactly a pretty city). There are much nicer train stops along the way into NY. Fairfield and Greenwich come to mind.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rhode Island is about 1 1/2 hours south of Boston and about 2 hours from New Haven CT along the I-95 corridor. The train also stops in Providence RI. You can rent a car (Enterprise) about a block away from the train station. Providence is about 1 1/2 hours away from the ferry to Marthas Vineyard. These times may vary with traffic. Have fun......jdcamb

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
bella said:
why are you going to RI?
there really is nothing there but a few good places to boulder.
I don't know why you guys are slamming RI. Granted Providence is nasty. But the rest of the state is cool. Newport is awesome. The southern beaches are some of the best in NE (Matunick even has surfing), Block Island is cool, and Pawtucket has a kick ass baseball stadium (McCoy stadium). Providence also has one of the best Public Markets anywhere and Federal Hill has awesome Italian Dining and delis. Just my .02.....jdcamb

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ooh, newport. :thumb: newport is very cool, especially in music festival season. unfortunately, september is not that season. :think:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't know, I've always thought of Rhode Island as kind of ghetto compared to the other New England states. Sure Newport is nice, but it certainly would not be at the top of my recommended New England must see list.

Eh, just my opinion. I don't want to turn Snacks' thread into a debate. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
We are staying Newport for one night then heading to Martha's. I'm thinking we'll take the train from Penn Station to RI, Thanks!!!

I thought RI was nice? Oh, well....at this point we just want to get over to the East Coast and see what it's like! The farthest east we have ever been is Utah before this, so we're both really excited.

In Boston we are staying the Back Bay area(??) plan to tour the city for a couple, see the Sox play the Yankee's :sneaky:

Yippee! I'm getting excited! Now I just need to get over my fear of flying :(

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
you have yanks sox tickets already right?
block island is a good time. newport is ok but seriously the rest of the state is fairly worthless and i like MA or ME beaches better

ooh flying is awsome. what about it scares you?

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
haha no chance hell get tickets. unless hes scalpin them and that will cost absurd amts. i tried to get tickets to some game against a nobody team a while back and i got 1 standing room.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
bella said:
haha no chance hell get tickets. unless hes scalpin them and that will cost absurd amts. i tried to get tickets to some game against a nobody team a while back and i got 1 standing room.
Good tickets can be found on Ebay, but they are expensive as hell.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yep, already got the tickets back in Feb. the day they went on sale :thumb:I think we're in the nose bleed section, for a bargin price of $75, but that's cool. I just wanna see Fenway Park.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Okay, now that I know how to get from NYC to RI....Can I get some recomendations for good places to eat? Please!?!?!?!

We want to try all the great East Coast food while we're over there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Snacks said:
Yep, already got the tickets back in Feb. the day they went on sale :thumb:I think we're in the nose bleed section, for a bargin price of $75, but that's cool. I just wanna see Fenway Park.
Cool! Fenway Park is awesome. I'm biased mind you, but I have been to a lot of Major League ballparks and Fenway is the best. Red Sox/Yankees is always entertaining. :)

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
hey i love those bleacher seats.
im going to a game tonight :)

For Italian food the north end is the best - hop on the oraneg line and goto hay market. youll see the signs for the north end. if you can get there from 10 -2 any day on the main st there is a place called umbertos . its unbelieveable pizza, calzones, rice balls, paninis, etc. then theres modern pastry (much better than mikes pastry)

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Narrengansette (sp) Bay is one of the coolest coasts on the East. It's like a little Maine. Newport and Providence are a great time...I lived in Newport for a year when I was 18 on the Naval Base. Let's just leave it at "there are plenty of things to get into in Newport". The rest of the state is really Classic N.E. Small towns...Americana, Rockwellesque

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Snacks said:
Okay, now that I know how to get from NYC to RI....Can I get some recomendations for good places to eat? Please!?!?!?!

Almost anyplace on Atwells Avenue in Providence (Federal Hill). Almost anyplace in the North End of Boston that you can get a reservation at. Legal Seafood in the Back Bay of Boston for seafood. The Marshall House for seafood also (kind of touristy). Cambridge and Somerville have some awesome places and a trip to Rockports Dock Square is a good place to start. Lots of street food in Boston. Newport has awesome dining. Heck bascially anywhere you can get a reservation in any of these places are awesome.....jdcamb

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
theres very few places in boston that you dont get good food. and im lacking in the money so i tend to eat at the non reservation places :)

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
Snacks said:

what are you looking for for food? I would say, that if you are on the east coast, and close to the coast, go with seafood. too bad you can't get out to Cape Cod, they have some of the best seafood anywhere.

on Martha's, try any small seafood shack and ask what they are known for.

as for CT, in new haven (if you want to stop), try Peppe's (sp?) Pizza.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
bigbirdie said:
what are you looking for for food? I would say, that if you are on the east coast, and close to the coast, go with seafood. too bad you can't get out to Cape Cod, they have some of the best seafood anywhere.

on Martha's, try any small seafood shack and ask what they are known for.

as for CT, in new haven (if you want to stop), try Peppe's (sp?) Pizza.
Or Bimontes (SP?). Now thats some tasty pie!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
visit harvard square in boston, walk around the yard. don't rub john harvard's shoe! :dead: (people piss on it). to get there take the red line towards alewife. other good touristy things to do/see: freedom trail, of course: http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/ ; maybe walk around beacon hill, rub elbows with kerry's secret service agents? :D

to get to rhode island you should be able to take the commuter rail, no problem. amtrak is your friend. you can catch them and buy tickets at south station (again on the red line), but you probably should at least check schedules on the amtrak website first.
Havard Sq. is not in Boston, it is in Cambridge.