Quantcast

Visual Awareness of Cyclists

Sep 11, 2015
As I understand it, blinking lights may interfere with a driver's ability to judge the rider's speed and distance, but they do grab attention best. Considering the most common issue is driver inattention, seems like blinky is the way to go, especially in the daytime. I would argue that awareness in general takes precedence over judging speed and distance precisely.

FWIW, blinking headlights are obnoxious. I'll always run mine solid. Rear lights are up for debate, though.

I could be wrong, of course. Happens quite often.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Nice content in a thread started by a high school student! :D

Anyone else waiting for his Aster commuting backpack?

I can't wait to use it as a travel bag for business trips. TSA is going to go nutz! :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nice content in a thread started by a high school student! :D

Anyone else waiting for his Aster commuting backpack?

I can't wait to use it as a travel bag for business trips. TSA is going to go nutz! :D
Is this the one from the fellow who took RM's advice? :brows:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As I understand it, blinking lights may interfere with a driver's ability to judge the rider's speed and distance, but they do grab attention best. Considering the most common issue is driver inattention, seems like blinky is the way to go, especially in the daytime. I would argue that awareness in general takes precedence over judging speed and distance precisely.

FWIW, blinking headlights are obnoxious. I'll always run mine solid. Rear lights are up for debate, though.

I could be wrong, of course. Happens quite often.
Oh hell yeah, I like when it's dark actually, because then my strobe gets the attention of people that really turning in opposite directions compared to where they are looking. These people will plow into you without ever "seeing" you.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the only cyclists i encounter are guys pushing their drunk bikes in the middle of the night in oncoming traffic....my headlights reflcting off thir shiny sixers of budweiser.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the only cyclists i encounter are guys pushing their drunk bikes in the middle of the night in oncoming traffic....my headlights reflcting off thir shiny sixers of budweiser.....
There are cyclists, and then are bums wth bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so a cyclist would never ride his bike in the midfle of the night to get a cold six pack...?
No, that'd be dumb. A cyclist would have a flask. Otherwise, they just ride from brewery to brewery.