Quantcast

Volvo peeps...question about models...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I want to get some sort of daily driver. I have Tundra right now, but spending too much on gas, especially driving by myself 20+ miles to go riding with one bike in the back.

Volvos seem like they can be had relatively cheap and are pretty reliable (maybe not, I dunno). Looking at something I can easily put a hitch on for a two bike rack (already have a 1up USA rack) or possibly a wagon.

I prefer something with a turbo and like to tinker. Manual tranny is preferred. Point me in the right direction with some models and years or let me know if there are other cars that might suit the task. Also considering a WRX, but they always seem pricey or hammered. I figured it would be easier to pick up a Volvo off some middle aged couple that lives its life in the burbs. Budget would be $5Kish, but the cheaper the better to a point. I enjoy doing my own maintenance and anything short of the engine/trans blowing up I can fix myself.

:confused:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2497787081.html

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I want to get some sort of daily driver. I have Tundra right now, but spending too much on gas, especially driving by myself 20+ miles to go riding with one bike in the back.

Volvos seem like they can be had relatively cheap and are pretty reliable (maybe not, I dunno). Looking at something I can easily put a hitch on for a two bike rack (already have a 1up USA rack) or possibly a wagon.

I prefer something with a turbo and like to tinker. Manual tranny is preferred. Point me in the right direction with some models and years or let me know if there are other cars that might suit the task. Also considering a WRX, but they always seem pricey or hammered. I figured it would be easier to pick up a Volvo off some middle aged couple that lives its life in the burbs. Budget would be $5Kish, but the cheaper the better to a point. I enjoy doing my own maintenance and anything short of the engine/trans blowing up I can fix myself.

:confused:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2497787081.html
Older but faster and 4wd!
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2557003205.html

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that car is a pretty good deal.
im loving my V70 2.4L but i do wish i got the 2.5L T5. im also loving the 24-30mpg that i get with it...especially coming for my truck's 9-13mpg.
the ride is super soft on the Volvo as are the seats. they do have a ton of understeer and the turbos have a tremendous amount of turbo lag.

the are huge inside, especially with the seats folded down. i was able to fit a full size mattress and box spring in mine.

heres mine

the R's are sweet...but the one he listed is a newer body/chassis style

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've had a couple. If you're looking just stupid cheap and bulletproof, a 240 is awesome. It will not be even slightly fast or interesting to drive though. There are turbos to be found. The V70 R above would be a LOT quicker but I wouldn't expect one in budget to be in very good shape. If you don't mind FWD, I think something like the T5 V70 you posted is a win. The low pressure T5 isn't as powerful as the higher boost one in the R, but service intervals are longer and it'll be more reliable long run. The second gen V70s ('01-'07 IIRC) have a bunch nicer interiors than the first gen, and the engines are a bit more refined. Reliability should be good either way.

Edit: IH8Rice is right about the turbo lag. There's a LOT, though I haven't driven the T5 with a manual, only an auto.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
that car is a pretty good deal.
im loving my V70 2.4L but i do wish i got the 2.5L T5. im also loving the 24-30mpg that i get with it...especially coming for my truck's 9-13mpg.
the ride is super soft on the Volvo as are the seats. they do have a ton of understeer and the turbos have a tremendous amount of turbo lag.

the are huge inside, especially with the seats folded down. i was able to fit a full size mattress and box spring in mine.

heres mine

the R's are sweet...but the one he listed is a newer body/chassis style
What year is that? That is perfect...so that same car comes with a 2.5L turbo motor? Is the one that you have a regular 4 cyl? Do those come in sedans as well? You sound like the same situation I have. I have the truck that I love, but it just gets crappy gas mileage, especially for longer trips just to ride solo.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I would also have to add that a 240 with proper maintenence, a set of Bilstein HD's and decent tires is not a boring to drive vehicle.

Any RWD Volvo is a good bet, 240, 740/940 wagons are my favorite. Cheap parts, plentiful in junkyards, and will run forever (much like an 90's honda) if taken care of.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What year is that? That is perfect...so that same car comes with a 2.5L turbo motor? Is the one that you have a regular 4 cyl? Do those come in sedans as well? You sound like the same situation I have. I have the truck that I love, but it just gets crappy gas mileage, especially for longer trips just to ride solo.
There aren't any 4 pots- they're all I5s. I've got an '06 that looks EXACTLY like that, same color and wheels and everything. The closest sedan approximation (size wise) is the S80, which is on the same platform, but is meant to be more of an upscale luxury sort of deal. There's also the S60 which is again on the same platform, but a little smaller, though more comparable as far as trim levels and whatnot.

Edit: to elaborate, mine's the 2.4L normally aspirated engine with a manual. It's super comfy, and nice to drive as a highway cruiser and whatnot, but isn't really exciting to drive. The controls are all really light, suspension's soft, etc, so as a daily driver it's great, it just isn't set up to be exciting. The R is AWD, a lot more powerful, and has adaptive suspension and whatnot so you can firm it up if you want, I'd just be worried about one in the 5k range since they're typically quite a bit more expensive, so if one's going that cheap there's probably a reason.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There aren't any 4 pots- they're all I5s. I've got an '06 that looks EXACTLY like that, same color and wheels and everything. The closest sedan approximation (size wise) is the S80, which is on the same platform, but is meant to be more of an upscale luxury sort of deal. There's also the S60 which is a little smaller but more comparable as far as trim levels and whatnot.
So they are all 5s with and without turbos? And the V70s are all wagons with the S's being the sedans?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Two things- first I was getting the S80/60/40 sizes all muddled up. The S60, not the 80, is the approximate sedan version of the V70. Also, if you want a manual, it'll either be pre-'01 or the base 2.4 non turbo. And I think you want a manual, I was really unimpressed with their auto transmission, especially the variant with the "manual" mode- it picked the strangest times to shift, and the combination of the turbo lag and the slow downshifts when you tried to get on the gas hard were infuriating.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I almost bought one a few years back. There are a few trouble years 00-02? but after that I haven't heard of any major $$$ issues.
The v70 platform has the most comfortable car seat I've ever experienced. A bit roomy for spirited driving, but for highway hauls, unbeatable.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its a 2006. and as HAB said, they are 5cylinders.
yeah, i love my truck and its super fun to drive but now that the closest lift operated mountain is 3hrs+ away, it doesnt make sense to drive my truck there.
the S60 is actually the comparable sedan of this car and obviously isnt anywhere near the size inside.
the auto with Turbo is very frustrating. my mother had a C70 T5 and it was a ton of fun to drive when the turbo was spooled up but downshifts seem to take decades and when you floored it, it took even longer

while pre 2000 Volvos are great, the 2000.5-2007 are huge improvements in both fit/finish and overall ride comfort

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sounds like a winner. I actually like the idea of the wagon, especially for camping or bike trips with two people, even more so when it's the lady and I footing the bill for all the gas. I burned almost 4 tanks of gas in my Tundra to Northstar and back with is ~1100 miles round trip. It's ridiculous to road trip in the thing with two people and gas pushing $4 gallon.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sounds like a winner. I actually like the idea of the wagon, especially for camping or bike trips with two people, even more so when it's the lady and I footing the bill for all the gas. I burned almost 4 tanks of gas in my Tundra to Northstar and back with is ~1100 miles round trip. It's ridiculous to road trip in the thing with two people and gas pushing $4 gallon.
The wagon is fvcking awesome for trips. If you're rocking it solo you can get a bike in with both wheels on and the seats down easy, and toss a rack (roof or hitch) on and there's a stupid amount of room in back.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, the 850 is largely the same car as the V70, just a bit older and with a bit less interior/ ride refinement. I had one that still ran like a champ at 200k, but ditched it when the steering rack blew up. I was driving it with no power steering for a while, which actually wasn't that bad, but it wasn't going to pass inspection like that and the steering rack cost something like 4x the KBB value of the car so it was time to call it quits.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Although I'm finding quite a few that look relatively perfect for 3-4K, so maybe not. Something like the salvage one though I would just lowball the crap out of him and if it ever blows up just tow it to the junkyard.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Although I'm finding quite a few that look relatively perfect for 3-4K, so maybe not. Something like the salvage one though I would just lowball the crap out of him and if it ever blows up just tow it to the junkyard.
If you're going to go that route get a 240. I had a friend who had two, both over 400k and going strong. Those things are bombproof.

I'm gonna repeat again what IH8Rice and I have been saying about the turbo autos- super super annoying. If there'd been a turbo manual I would have bought it but since that doesn't exist for the newer ones it was the easiest decision ever to go with the less powerful manual.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So which cars actually come in a manual?

Any idea on why the turbos lag so bad? Is it a tranny issue or a turbo issue?

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

The S40, V50, S60, and V70 all were available with manuals. Given the market segment of the buyer however, they are hard to find.
I actually didn't find the lag bad. Is that your opinion from a test drive or a forum?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Having not driven a turbo manual it's hard to say on the lag. I did still hate the auto transmission in a non turbo so I kinda think that might be it but I'm speculating.

Things that come in a manual:
-'97-'00 V70
-'00.5-'07 V70, 2.4 non turbo only

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not that it's strictly relevant to this thread, but some people have done some nutty engine swaps in 240s. The Corvette LS1, with twin turbos to boot, comes to mind. :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The S40, V50, S60, and V70 all were available with manuals. Given the market segment of the buyer however, they are hard to find.
I actually didn't find the lag bad. Is that your opinion from a test drive or a forum?
I drove a couple turbos when I was shopping for what ended up being the V70 I've got now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a manual S60 T-5, if for some stupid reason I was going to buy another Volvo I'd get a FWD V70R or a 240 wagon(estate, whaterver you call them) and turbo that.

If you do buy a 2000+ model Volvo they can absolutely cripple you with repairs and it is pretty much gauranteed you will have to replace all of the smaller boost/vac lines along with all of the split core wire covery stuff in the engine bay.
Swedish rubber and plastic isn't as good as the Japanese stuff. You will also have electrical problem after electrical problem if you get a bad one and if you get something like an ABS fault it could cost you your purchase price to get it fixed.

Buy a Honda or a low KM Subaru, they aren't as comfortable but they are better in absolutely every other department.

However if you end up with a Volvo, after a tune and a full exhaust you can be looking at around 230KW and some pretty quick 0-100Km/h times.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Had some issues, I take it? Also considering a WRX. Also considering just putting a hitch on my future wife's Corolla.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I have a 04 xc, hitch mount bike rack. I love that car. I had a diesel benzo wagon before that was nice but the Volvo is a better car. The v70r is awsome, super duper comfortable seats but my driveway is a little to nasty for one.

I also use mine for work so I don't allways have to drive my crewcab dually. I have folded the front seat down and loaded the **** out of it with 8' 2x4s, I have had a mortar box in it with bags of cement and buckets of sand. Seriously used the car as a truck getting 21mpg.

Great car, awsome brakes to.

The wrex is like a japanese volkswagon, you don't want one of those.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a 2007 XC70. I would not say the turbo is really that difficult to control. Its no sports car of course but its an amazing cruiser. I drove to Knoxville, TN and back and had the DH bike inside the car and slept in the car too. Amazing for long trip and super comfortable even on busted NYC streets.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you want "reliable transportation" stay the FVCK away from a turbo...
I don't really uderstand this, if you don't flog a turbo car it will last almost as long as a NA engine. My car has ~140000miles on it and it is still on the original turbo and I will soon wind the boost up and see how long it takes for the turbo to go boom.
I have worked on a an old Leyland truck that was on it's original turbo and being a tow truck it was held at full throttle for extended periods of time.

To the OP I haven't driven a car tuned for your rubbish fuel but I imagine bringing boost on early with low octane fuel would cause some dramas with pre ignition.
A tune will bring them on boost earlier and remove the laggy feeling but I wouldn't know by how much improvement you could get on 93 octane.:shocked:
Sadly Australia removed the new 100 octane fuel from petrol stations due to low sales so we can only get 98 octane.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't really uderstand this, if you don't flog a turbo car it will last almost as long as a NA engine. My car has ~140000miles on it and it is still on the original turbo and I will soon wind the boost up and see how long it takes for the turbo to go boom.
I have worked on a an old Leyland truck that was on it's original turbo and being a tow truck it was held at full throttle for extended periods of time.

To the OP I haven't driven a car tuned for your rubbish fuel but I imagine bringing boost on early with low octane fuel would cause some dramas with pre ignition.
A tune will bring them on boost earlier and remove the laggy feeling but I wouldn't know by how much improvement you could get on 93 octane.:shocked:
Sadly Australia removed the new 100 octane fuel from petrol stations due to low sales so we can only get 98 octane.
California octane fail. We only get 91. I have worked on plenty of tuned cars and agree with you about the reliability of turbos. If they were that much of an issue, they wouldn't be on big rigs for 1M miles plus. The biggest risk you run is some soccer mom oil coking the crap out it from flying in to the supermarket parking lot and shutting it down while coasting into a spot.

Fails the KISS principle.
Turbos are about as simple as it gets for a power adder.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Plus most of the Volvo turbos are running pretty low boost so they're really not adding much wear and tear wise. Wouldn't worry about it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They are worth the added maintainence(sp?) because they save you quite a lot in fuel over the life of the car and you can get easy power out of them and they still use factory fuel amounts when not thrashing.
On an NA car you can replace the exhaust and intake but all the power adding mods after that will use more fuel, my first Mini(old style) used the same amount of fuel my Volvo does but I would go back to a Mini any day.

Don't buy a Volvo unless you have some serious spare coin lying around, everything wers out quicker than a real car, dampers, breathing system(which leads to rear main seals leaking) and electrics are Bosch and they ain't cheap when something dies.
I have been pretty lucky with mine but I am still scared going on larger trips, I have a DSTC fault but that turns the traction control off so I like it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My take. Been driving a '91 740 for 7+ years.

If you want AFFORDABLE (sorry cheap just makes me think of Hyundais & Geo Metros) like a solid car with lots of life left, then I would look for a 240 (AWESOME!), 740 or a 940. Those models are pretty much bullet proof, can be had cheap, are easy to work on, will last 500k miles easy...they are just great cars & there is a ton of support from forums & stuff on the net.

I didnt see your location but mine has started right up in -15º weather & can handle the snow (with rwd even).

I am not really educated on any of the newer models, so I cant speak to those models.

My second vote is for a 60's era Amazon.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes - turbos are not a terrible idea if you're looking to add power for some reason or another. But it's just more $hit to go wrong if you're looking for boring transportation.
I agree but going through a lot of information on Volvo boards when I researched the XC70 it was not something I saw people talking about so it would not be the biggest concern.