Quantcast

Vote for Steve Smith!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He is learning slowly. Last year was a huge leap forward for him. At a few races he was easily the fastest through any given section, but then he'd bin it 2 sections down the course. Once he can link them together he will be deadly.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
While I think its great and all to support downhillers and the sport, i do beleive the case is that SS hasn't actually done anything. Yes, there was the US Open win, but other then that, its a lot of "potential", rather then results.

The other candidates actually have some impressive and tangible results, even though xc is a completely wiener sport.

I fully say this without a complete history of what SS has done this year, but I just don't recall anything standing out. Am I wrong?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
While I think its great and all to support downhillers and the sport, i do beleive the case is that SS hasn't actually done anything. Yes, there was the US Open win, but other then that, its a lot of "potential", rather then results.

The other candidates actually have some impressive and tangible results, even though xc is a completely wiener sport.

I fully say this without a complete history of what SS has done this year, but I just don't recall anything standing out. Am I wrong?
I'd say a top 10 at a world cup is "something", especially when added to beating Sam Hill fair and square at the US open.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yep, its something, but I dunno that its nearly deserving of the vote. The others did much, much better in thier respective fields, which again i'm not a fan of but I suppose its to be respected.

Not baggin on Smith at all, just throwing ideas out for conversation. ;)

I will fully admit though, if Smith can keep growing at the rate he has, he'll be terrifyingly good.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Top 10's at DH world cups is uncharted teritory for Canadians. Thats something to brag about, and I'm sure it wont be his last. He got my vote.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Top 10's at DH world cups is uncharted teritory for Canadians. Thats something to brag about, and I'm sure it wont be his last. He got my vote.
Naw. A couple of men (Andrew Shandro, Dustin Adams etc) and 4 or so women have done it before. Last year you had Claire Buchar, Micayla Gatto and Steve Smith who all placed top 10.

Never the less, for a guy, it's a pretty bad ass result and it's been a long time coming for Steve. I think he definitely deserves credit for one of the top performances of last year (top 3 will be announced).

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Naw. A couple of men (Andrew Shandro, Dustin Adams etc) and 4 or so women have done it before. Last year you had Claire Buchar, Micayla Gatto and Steve Smith who all placed top 10.

Never the less, for a guy, it's a pretty bad ass result and it's been a long time coming for Steve. I think he definitely deserves credit for one of the top performances of last year (top 3 will be announced).
I donno if its a long time coming for him, he is only like 18 right?

Still though, already a contender in the WC circuit with loads of untapped potential, he's one of the riders I'm pulling for at every race

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I guess uncharted was a poor choice of terms, Shandro was over a decade ago and Adams...........forgot about him.

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
Dropmachine always has a great comment.............

Steve Smith has done alot 10 ten WC, US Open win and more to come. Really he is pushing it and still young. Also we must consider the fact that it is hard to get faster when you are the fastest rider in the country. Who is pushing him in canada maybe Dropmachine can he seems to answer posts really fast..........

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I think you could argue that Premont or Pendrel turned in a better overall performance this year, what with the two of them at one and two in the UCI World Cup standings and with Pendrel with a 4th in the Olympics. They're both incredible riders and a real credit to Canadian mountain biking.

But in terms of a single individual performance (remember- that award category is not for "cyclist of the year" measuring all their accomplishments, only for the best single individual performance), I think Stevie beating Sam Hill at the US Open takes it.

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Steve Smith is what Canada needs right now in biking. IMO making it to the WC makes you a phenominal rider let alone top 10.