Quantcast

VP Free chainline and x-type

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
I decided to start a new thread instead of posting to "Santa Cruz VP-Free and external BB cranksets." Moderators can merge this thread with that if they want...

What is the final word on the x-type dilly with this frame? Any updates from people using x-type? Some people say 'no way Jose' yet others were saying they use Saint with no problems (Five). The Speedgoat article says that SC said it was ok to run the Saints, which is in direct contrast to the VPFree FAQ on the SC webspage. :confused: Appears to be a whole lot of waffles on this topic... :monkey:

I was also confused when that article said that SC said it is ok to machine off part of the non-drive lip to face the bb. Is that just to face the bb, or is that to actually fit the x-type bb?

I dont know anything about x-type bb's--I kinda have the feeling that the flange on the bb cup is wayyy bigger than the tiny amount of material that youd machine off to face the bb. Which would mean that the x-type bb cup would actually cover up part of that pivot when installed. (?)

Does the Speedgoat article mean that they use a spacer to effectively push the faced area of the bb out to be flush (or even outboard) of that lip? Then you can just thread the cup in and tighten it against the spacer? I would think that it would mess up the chainline if you shift the whole bb towards the non-drive side... (but again, Ive never even really seen an x-type, so I have no idea how they work--or maybe the few mm's that you need to shift the bb over to get flush with that lip isnt significant?).

And speaking of 'significant' chainline... Im using a Gigapipe bb and my chainline is about 60 or 61. Is that significantly far off the 57.5 that SC reccommends, or am I good to go?

Should I just call SC? :o:

<edit> guess I should throw in the link to the original thread for those who didnt see it:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140676&highlight=vpfree+chainline

kevster

Chimp
Apr 5, 2006
I ran Race face Atlas and now have Shimano XT Hollowtech. I followed the setup for a 73mm BB E-type which means no spacer on the non-drive side and putting the chain guide in as the drive side spacer. I'm running them with a 34/22 ring, E-13 Bashguard and LRP chain guide. I have an early frame and had to face off the extra material around the pivot on the non drive side. Doesn't interfere with that pivot at all. I think the newer frames are flush so you wont have that problem. I haven't had any issues with drivetrain. I use Sram twist shifters and X-9 rear deraileur, and xt front.

Attachments

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
Werrrrd, thanks Kevster. No problems facing that lip? I have the older frame, too. Does the external cup sit flush on the frame once you get rid of that material?

Im doing the same thing with an ISIS bb--using the chain guide backing plate as the spacer...

Nice rig, man.

kevster said:
I ran Race face Atlas and now have Shimano XT Hollowtech. I followed the setup for a 73mm BB E-type which means no spacer on the non-drive side and putting the chain guide in as the drive side spacer. I'm running them with a 34/22 ring, E-13 Bashguard and LRP chain guide. I have an early frame and had to face off the extra material around the pivot on the non drive side. Doesn't interfere with that pivot at all. I think the newer frames are flush so you wont have that problem. I haven't had any issues with drivetrain. I use Sram twist shifters and X-9 rear deraileur, and xt front.

kevster

Chimp
Apr 5, 2006
No problem facing the shell and removing that little lip. After that the cup will fit flush against the shell. I ran an isis when I first got it together and had to face the shell anyway to get a truvative BB to fit. This bike is so fun. I hit things aon this I would have never even thought of in the past.

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
Right on. I never got the shell faced--I should probably do that. :o:

kevster said:
This bike is so fun.
Definitely. I had a Boxxer on mine, too for awhile, and then went to a 66RC. Made the bike even more fun--less bulky, more turning radius... But yeah, fun bike for sure.

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
Ended up going with the Saint 805. Seems to work well. Im not sure if the chainline is optimal, but I probably just need to tweak.

Do you have a Free and are choosing a crank?