Quantcast

VP-Free Flex

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
For the VP-Free owner/operators out there:

If you grab the rear wheel and tire near the top and push/pull left/right, does your rear triangle flex somewhat?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
odiwik said:
For the VP-Free owner/operators out there:

If you grab the rear wheel and tire near the top and push/pull left/right, does your rear triangle flex somewhat?
No, like Peaches and Cream: "Solid as a Rock." :p

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Strange.

I just rebuilt my VP-Free after noticing it and all bushings and bearings look great, all tolerances look good, and everything came apart and was put back together relatively easily. It still has about 1/4-1/2 inch of flex or twist in the rear triangle when really pushed and pulled on.

It rides fine and feels stiff when I am on it, but if I put one hand on the seat and one hand on the top of the wheel/tire and push/pull, the rear triangle flexes a bit. Nobody else has this problem!?

What should I do to try and fix this? All the machined faces were good, all the linkages had no play in them when installed, everything is well-lubed; I don't know what to do if nobody else has this little bit of flex.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Mine and it seems everyone else's VP Free is swaggle free, so if you are really concerned about it run it up to your LBS and/or contact Santa Cruz to see if it is a warranty issue

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I have wheel flex along with the rear triangle flexing (I can visually see it twisting). I am pretty sure the play is from the bearings/bushings. I have to push/pull somewhat hard to get the triangle to twist a little bit, but I guess I will take it somewhere and have it looked at if nobody else can feel any twist at all when pushed/pulled.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
odiwik said:
I have wheel flex along with the rear triangle flexing (I can visually see it twisting). I am pretty sure the play is from the bearings/bushings. I have to push/pull somewhat hard to get the triangle to twist a little bit, but I guess I will take it somewhere and have it looked at if nobody else can feel any twist at all when pushed/pulled.
"Flex" and play are different. If you are feeling play, you either have blown bearings or something didn't get back together right. Bring it to a dealer or call SCB tech support.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
My apologies, I don't have any play whatsoever.

The bike feels extremely tight and great suspension-wise, but if I push on the seat while pulling on the tire, I get ~1/4 inch of flex or twist in the rear triangle. Granted, I have to push and pull fairly hard to see it, but it's there. I can see the triangle twisting, not just normal wheel flex (of which I get almost none of).

Frustrating after repressing all bushings and sanding/cleaning everything!

My buddy's Giant HT has the same amount of flex in the rear section of the frame, as does his old Schwinn Straight-8. My other buddy's Yeti ASX feels a little stiffer, but it is only about half the wheelbase (exaggeration). I am going to assume that I noticed and questioned something that is normal and not noticeable unless a perfectionist. :thumb:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I can see a touch of wheel flex on mine. If you've got a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of flex in your triangle then somethings wrong. If I push and pull super hard, to the point that I think I might bend my rim, then maybe I can see like the smallest tiniest flex. It could just be my imagination or all the blood rushing to my head as I strain to see this mysterious flex.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Alright, I'll tear her apart and try one last time before a trip to the LBS. I can only really see it when I push then pull then push then pull somewhat fast and hard. I can't see it at all if I just push in one direction.

I'm 95% sure now that I'm just being a crazy perfectionist.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
odiwik said:
Hey better safe than sorry, but really I think you should only be concerned with the bearings (unless you have a crack or bend in the traingle). If they're solid with no play then you're good to go. I remember putting in some new bearings after our super rainy winter in Socal. It was hell trying to get them in perfectly straight. Do yourself a favor, step away from the bike for tonight and come at it fresh in the morning. Oh, and buy that custom bearing tool from SC. Have fun in whistler.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
odiwik said:
Alright, I'll tear her apart and try one last time before a trip to the LBS. I can only really see it when I push then pull then push then pull somewhat fast and hard. I can't see it at all if I just push in one direction.

Every bike shows some flex with that kind of twisting, it doesn't really mean it's flexing that much when you ride it. It's like kicking the tires or something, probably doesn't mean much. Did you ever see if it did this new? I just wouldn't worry about it unless you feel some weirdness when you ride it.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
ncrider said:
... I remember putting in some new bearings after our super rainy winter in Socal. It was hell ...
You should have seen the vices and contraption I had going on with the lathe (don't worry, the lathe was not spinning :p). But I got them in and out safely and easily after all that prep in the end.

OGRipper said:
I just wouldn't worry about it unless you feel some weirdness when you ride it.
The bike is riding and tracking fine after the rebuild; I think this was just the first time I've noticed it. I noticed it messing around after my last run in the parking lot, but like I said I have to push and pull somewhat fast and hard to notice it at all. RM owns. :monkey:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have seen this on a few VPfrees. I really dont know why some are flexier than others. One guy told me it was so bad he could feel the flex when riding and he was going to try and warrenty it. He showed me the flex and you could see the entire rear end move 1/4-1/2" side to side. You might call SC.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
odiwik said:
You should have seen the vices and contraption I had going on with the lathe (don't worry, the lathe was not spinning :p). But I got them in and out safely and easily after all that prep in the end.
The bearing tool available from SCB makes it a lot easier. Tech support should know how to get one, so if you call about your frame you might want to ask. The only ones I've ever felt with any movement had blown bearings.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I think I have to disagree with a few people on this thread. I maintain my pivots flawlessly, all bearings are in tact and running smoothly, my Hadley hub is tight and working fine.....but it is an undeniable fact that the rear triangle on vp-frees have lateral flex. Let's face it, that is a pretty damn long rear end attached by 2 pivots on 8 bearings....it WILL flex. I can't say I feel too much while riding, but there IS some flex.

I sure do love that damn bike tho.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dusty Bottoms said:
I think I have to disagree with a few people on this thread. I maintain my pivots flawlessly, all bearings are in tact and running smoothly, my Hadley hub is tight and working fine.....but it is an undeniable fact that the rear triangle on vp-frees have lateral flex. Let's face it, that is a pretty damn long rear end attached by 2 pivots on 8 bearings....it WILL flex. I can't say I feel too much while riding, but there IS some flex.

I sure do love that damn bike tho.
I don't think anyone ever said they have zero flex. I agree the free has some flex, all bikes do. We've been trying to figure out if he has an unusual amount of flex or more likely some play from a bad bearing or assembly. But congrats, it sounds like you take much better care of your bike than me.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
OGRipper said:
Every bike shows some flex with that kind of twisting, it doesn't really mean it's flexing that much when you ride it. It's like kicking the tires or something, probably doesn't mean much. Did you ever see if it did this new? I just wouldn't worry about it unless you feel some weirdness when you ride it.
I'd say a bike would flex more under hard riding considering some of the forces involved.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
My suspension feels tight, there is just a little torsional flex that I think I may have overreacted on. Perhaps I am just ultra-buff. I think it has more to do with the fact that I am a perfectionist when it comes to my bikes.

I f'n love the feel of this bike though.

At least it isn't rootbeer and flexy... ;)

DDawg

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
Sherman Oaks, CA
There is definite flex when doing the forementioned test on the VPFree. I did it to my friends in the back of my truck when I still had my Fly. It didn't stop me from getting one though :). It reminds me of the "putting the front tire b/t your legs then twist hbars to check fork flex". It doesn't seem to translate to the trail.

DDawg

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
Sherman Oaks, CA
Kanter said:
DDawq....How does the VP compare to your FLY?
Dusty could chime in as well..

Pros vs. Fly(2003)
1.XL size provides better fit for me(6'2")-especially while climbing
2. VPP does a better job on square edge hits
3. Full length seat tube-although it was close, the Fly setup worked for complete seat height adjustment
4. bolt on 12mm axle
5. VPP design allows lower shock platform settings giving better small bump compliance.
6. Mainstream Shock size = more choices

Cons vs Fly (2003)
1. More maintenance
2. BB sizing-harder to find. Difficult to fit outside bearing type cranksets/BB
3. 150mm rear hub-limits compatibility for UGI
4. Chainguides need modification to fit properly (E13)
5. Crappy powdercoat & sticker kit
6. Some chain feedback on technical climbs
7. Everybody has one-if I spend that kind of $$$, I want some exclusivity damit! :D

In the end they're both great bikes, but I have a well known reputation for changing bikes (UGI). I prefer the asthetics of the 1st gen Fly over the VPfree, if only they had made it in XL.
A Pushed Fox Vanilla on the Fly made a huge difference over the Romic.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive seen the flex on the EARLY vp and they flex a lot. Is yours a early model or later?