Quantcast

VP-free size?

Feb 7, 2006
Hello , I am interesting in buying new VP free , but i dont know what size is best for me (small or medium)? I am 5'8''. I will ride DH and FR combined.
Thank you!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There was just a thread about this, do a search with a few variations of the name and you should find more good stuff.

I am 6' 1" or so and ride a medium with a 70mm Marz 888 stem. It feels great but I like my big bikes small.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Fits me like a glove, but what I would recommend is that you;
A. Find someone who rides a VPFree and test ride theirs
B. Go to your local Santa Crus dealer and see what sizes they keep in stock or who in the shop has one that you can test ride.
But as it stands, you are 5'8" So I would recommend a small, unless you are still growng. How old are you?

Feb 7, 2006
I am sixteen , so i will grow more (i think?) :)
But if i buy small and grow up to 6' can i do something to make my bike bigger or i will kick bars with my legs?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No you should not count on making your bike bigger. You can add a longer stem or a laid-back seat post but those are pretty much band-aids that will compromise your position.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Black Imperator said:
I am sixteen , so i will grow more (i think?) :)
But if i buy small and grow up to 6' can i do something to make my bike bigger or i will kick bars with my legs?
You might be able to get away with this on a road or an XC bike, but if your height changes by 2 inches or more, that typically puts you on the size bigger.

On the other hand, if you got a larger frame, your position on the bike would be horrible.

The third solution would be to get the correct sized bike now, then sell it later if you grow...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm 6'1 and riding a medium. You might want to get a small. But then again, you are still pretty young and a medium might be a good idea just in case you gain a couple inches in the next few years.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Total Heckler said:
I'm 6'1 and riding a medium. You might want to get a small. But then again, you are still pretty young and a medium might be a good idea just in case you gain a couple inches in the next few years.
The problem with getting a medium now is it might be way too big for his current height.

Standover and reach could be at the limits, and if the reach too short even with a 50mm (or shorter) stem, then he could have a serious problem on the first drop-off.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Yeah, definitely get a small. Never buy a bike that is on the big side of things. It's way better to end up getting a little cramped on a small, fun bike that stretching out trying to ride a monster bike. Besides, in two or three years another cool bike will come out, and you'll want to sell the VP in order to get the latest and greatest. This happens to everybody. I repeat, never, ever buy a bike that is too big for you. I still ride a 13.5" XC frame comfortably and I'm 5'9". Go for the small!

Feb 7, 2006
look, my friend has bike that is same as vp medium (height,wb) and i feel great on that bike (it is not too small or to big) , but i have P3 that has ssame msurments as small , and i find it to small. What do you think about that?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Most people only ride their frames 2 maybe 3 seasons. You will probably be getting a new bike before you need a medium. Get the small.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
SC have long top tubes wich is the only measurement that counts in my books. Get the small,you'll learn much quicker and have more fun.If you out grow it just sell it,or start smoking now.