Quantcast

vpf owners, or anyone for that matter

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
how many of you guys climb with your bike? im in a sit where i need to only keep one bike, so i need to sell the v10 and bullit. i have a 150mm 66 and an 06 888rc2x. i think ill keep thoes two and swap out depending on the ride. also, i have a shorter rear shock i could slap on for am rides. this sound like a feaseble plan? how well do these things climb? what other bikes should i be looking at? thanks

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Put the shorter shock on (if it's an 8.5x2.5, you'll still get 7.7" out of your Free) and run the 66. It'd be a sweet do-it-all bike. You could also sell the 888 and get the 66 with ETA.

They climb halfway decent. Nothing to get excited about, but they'll get you up stuff in the granny gear.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
lately ive been doing alot of XC rides on my free my 66 sl feels very nice on both XC and DH runs. The free climbs pretty well in my opinion but im used to big DH bikes. Asside from climbing I will say that one of the vp frees strongest attributes is its ability to sprint. Hope that in some way helps.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree that you will want ETA or something like it for climbing anything approaching steep on a free. With a full seatpost and ability to run a granny ring, you can do fine but being able to drop the front end is a big help.