Quantcast

W.w.j.d? Pro chick used carbon dorado vs. New alum dorado/same price

SCARY

Not long enough
why ask for our opinion if you arent going to listen to it? new fork or used fork...seems like a pretty easy decision to me
Oh....oops.I didn't know the question dictated that I do whatever the vast majority opinion says.I actually got alot of good feedback from everyone but you(joke)So I was able to ask he right people the right questions.I was actually going aluminum till I talked to the tech that has rebuilt the fork several times.

It may verywell be ghey,but when my bike looks tight ,I get excited too ride it.Take everthing "race "looking off it and black it out,cover it in dust.Not so much.Same with my mx,too.I got over it a while ago. Motivation is motivation .So,if you feel baddass not "advertising for the man,and wearing flannel,have at it.I love carbon ,titanium ,and anodized parts.My name is Larry ,and I hold my head high and will not apologize.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was actually going aluminum till I talked to the tech that has rebuilt the fork several times.
youre still buying a used fork vs a new one...regardless of who rebuilt it
and i did give you advice btw. (no joke)

Last edited:

SCARY

Not long enough
Right,that's why I put (joke)in there.Didn't really think that needed to be spelled out further for you.
Thanks for the advice.I took it all in consideration and then made up my mind based on the facts ,along with my personal biases and preferences.

Used isn't that big of deal to me.Knowing by whom and the backstory is helpful.
I've bought one of Melissas' frames before,years ago for my wife.So there is some sort of history there that makes it easier.

Oh....And I love rice,too.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Not saying the carbon isn't durable or has issues. I just feel the alloy legs would be able to withstand a little more rough handling/riding before needing replacement (theoretically).
So you are saying the carbon isn't as durable. I'd get the carbons. Assuming they were just overhauled by a good mechanic they could be better inside than the factory assembled new fork. They're also lighter and look cooler.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
some places carbon is just not worth the "bling" factor, the fork is one of them. It's also a no brainer on a new fork. The bs the carbon doesn't age is just that. It does break down just like any other material. Alum gets a scratch no big deal, carbon gets a scratch you have to worry about the integrity and delamination.

SCARY

Not long enough
I've had carbon bars,seat posts,forks,chainguide ,brake levers and seat post clamp.The only failure was the seat post that my fat mechanic extended the seat post out on a Foes Mono to put it in the stand,then took it off and sat on it,with an inch and a half left in the seat tube.

SCARY

Not long enough
First ride impression is that it's 92.875%better than the boxxer at this point.We serviced one leg but didn't have time to do the other before this morning.So...it had I sticky leg and still in 7"travel mode ,and I was hitting crap sooo much faster and harder.It is a perfect match for the 951.Can't wait till we get it dialed.

Oh ,and you can feel some deflection on the initial part of the stroke,but tha part is so stuck to the ground,it don't matter and I don't care.I thought the 10 boxxer was actually too stiff.The 08 felt good to me.So,that's it so far.

SCARY

Not long enough
What happened is we changed the travel setting and the dude working on it put it back together in a way that caused negative cavitation?suction?inside the fork leg.So it effectively had 7" of travel.
The fix was pretty easy.It was just the order in which stuff went back together.The service manual didn't make a point of that being important,I guess.Whatever,it's all good,now.It's exactly what I wanted a fork to behave like.Yippee for me !

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What happened is we changed the travel setting and the dude working on it put it back together in a way that caused negative cavitation?suction?inside the fork leg.So it effectively had 7" of travel.
The fix was pretty easy.It was just the order in which stuff went back together.The service manual didn't make a point of that being important,I guess.Whatever,it's all good,now.It's exactly what I wanted a fork to behave like.Yippee for me !
When that happens all you have to do is re-set the air pressure and fill it up with the fork topped out. At least with the newest internals that's all it is...

Sounds to me like you could have avoided some headache by just buying a new unit for the same price.

SCARY

Not long enough
Actually ,now I know how to go into the fork and service it.I was afraid,now ive seen the light....and its carbon("light"..."carbon"....see....carbon is light....)Plus I found out one of manitous' former top techs who knows this thing better than anyone,lives near me.So suck it.;/
I know you two can't stand it.Face it ,it's destined from almighty God!

And I'm not sure what the pdiddy thing is.It certainly looks complimentary.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That fork is really really damn easy to work on. I like how I basically needed a 13mm wrench and a vice to do the basic service on it.

I've got to stop with that whole logic thing. This is RideMonkey and there is simply no tolerance for that sort of thing around here.