Quantcast

Wafer Thin DH Pedal Thread

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
So there are alot of ultra thin pedals coming out these days. Such as the Spank Spike, Twenty6 Prerunner, Canfield Crampons, Point1 Podiums.... Im looking to get some new pedals for my 450 so i can switch my Straitlines to my AM rig. Does anyone have experience with any of these pedals? Are there any pros and cons of the super thin DH pedals you have seen? I'm worried about switching to a super thin pedal because im used to the insane grip that the Straitlines provide. Most of the thinnner pedals coming out these days lack pin placments, but thats just me. Let the battle begin. Whats your favorite wafer then DH pedal....

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
in the last year or so, i've used wah wahs (good grip, but the big square shape tends to catch rather than slideon rocks), point1 podiums (really nice quality and durability at reasonable weight, but felt too narrow for my size 12 feet), twenty6 prerunners (awesome grip, nice shape, but not wafer-thin), and most recently the spank spike.

so far the clear winner is the spike. has inboard bearing + outboard bushing--smoove and durable. has intelligent shape--quite wide under the ball of foot, but tapers at the front and rear rather than being square. And has heavily chamfered edges that slide over N* rocks well. Weight around 410 g, which is light enough for me. thick alu everywhere -- it's not like a blackspire sub4 waiting to crack. and for a hundred bucks, the value is good.

i remain curious about the straitline amp, the new thinner twenty6, and the specialized pedal in development, but the spike is the benchmark IME.

I'm a weekend hack though. YMMV.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland

Tioga Zero Axle Pedals
•Maximum thickness of 7 mm (in some places it reaches 4 mm)
•Milled from a single piece of CrMo alloy
•Bearings and pins are replacable
•Weight is 450 grams
•Over two years of development and intensive testing
•Available this fall
•$99 US

Sniped while I tried to figure out how to post just a single image...

Attachments

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
remember too those tioga's are not designed for DH and specifically say for xc and all mountain riding.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Been hammering it out on crampons for 2+ years now just retired 1 set (sold bike with em on it) got in 2 more pair white and red as well as replaced pins with stainless steel silver long on the Sunday.
The old set saw rain, snow, mud, sand and grit, heat and never gave me issues as well as saw a ton of rocks face to face.

Pins look like a hillbilly grill sticking in a few different directions and some gouging but still rocking on.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I am currently on Canfield crampons and point one podiums. I personally like the canfields a bit more for DH since they are thinner and grip really well. A few people don't like that they can feel the bulge on the outside of the pedal but I personally like it because of that. I give you something to push on while cornering and helps to feel exactly where your foot is at all times. I didn't like them as much for AM use since the pedal would squeek on my shoe but that was a pretty small issue.

The Point one podiums are also nice. I have them on my AM bike with no complaints. For strict DH though I would still go with the crampons

The new spanks look very promising. I would love to get my hands on a pair and test them out.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am currently on Canfield crampons and point one podiums. I personally like the canfields a bit more for DH since they are thinner and grip really well. A few people don't like that they can feel the bulge on the outside of the pedal but I personally like it because of that. I give you something to push on while cornering and helps to feel exactly where your foot is at all times. I didn't like them as much for AM use since the pedal would squeek on my shoe but that was a pretty small issue.

The Point one podiums are also nice. I have them on my AM bike with no complaints. For strict DH though I would still go with the crampons

The new spanks look very promising. I would love to get my hands on a pair and test them out.
Another HUGE vote for the canfield products, I am still riding the Original Generation with the single spike that goes through the pedal body, they will not die! Great grip (coming from a straitline) and I cant find a single flaw, except that they squeak on the bottom of your shoe when they are new. This usualyl stops after the first ride.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I am currently on Canfield crampons and point one podiums. I personally like the point one podiums a bit more for DH because the bearings have held up to two years of abuse. While the Canfield crampons feel great the bearings are starting to feel notchy. I like both pedals but feel the Point 1s have the edge.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Canfields are good. I just feel like the grip isn't quite as good as the straitlines. I'm going to go back to them and try their new thinner one. I'll report back with a comparison of all 3.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Can't imagine anyone needing more grip than this. I run the full pins front and back with old 5/10s, and just one or none long pin front and back with new 5/10s. Totally satisfied. Curious about the new HTs though.
34624_10150244514725473_454339650472_13671929_3188208_n.jpg

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I had Wahwahs on both my dh and am bike for 2 and 3 years respectively. The Spank Spikes are better, and nearly the same price. Thinner, better ground clearance and the angled edges don't catch on rocks as easily. The Wahwahs on my dh bike were retired after bending a spindle, I barely caught the edge of the pedal on a rock and it slammed me down, hard.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Been hammering it out on crampons for 2+ years now just retired 1 set (sold bike with em on it) got in 2 more pair white and red as well as replaced pins with stainless steel silver long on the Sunday.
The old set saw rain, snow, mud, sand and grit, heat and never gave me issues as well as saw a ton of rocks face to face.

Pins look like a hillbilly grill sticking in a few different directions and some gouging but still rocking on.
Couldnt be more on point. My crampons look like they have been hit with a rock hammer... 175's and an ultra low bb... and they still amazing me when I ride. After a year and a half I just bent a spindle a bit. But with some heat its back to normal. Cant even say enough about these pedals.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
podiums are the best pedals I've ever owned.
I'm a big Point1 fan and I was saving for those pedals, but a couple of friends have broken them and I've heard of problems with the bushings/bearings.

Even though they're not super thin, I'm sticking with my Easton Flatboys until I'm confident that anything lighter isn't going to die on me. Breaking pedals sucks.

good4nothing

Chimp
Jun 15, 2010
Big vote from me for twenty6 and the prerunners. Every time twenty6 products comes up, especially the Prerunners, they always take a hit on durability and cost. While I will definitely concede that they're on the spendier end of things, I think that the value is easily worth the price.

After 2 seasons beatering around on one of my sets of Prerunners, breaking off about half of the outer pin cages, and thoroughly thrashing the bushings, I sent them back to Twenty6 to see if they could tune up the bushing play. I mailed them on a monday, heard from Tyler that he'd tuned them up on wednesday, and opened a box from him the same Friday. Said box contained these:

New cages, new pins, new bushings/bearings. Also, the new cage design is a definite step-up in durability, bearings are way smoother, and the Ti pins are pretty sweet.

I've had a lot of good experiences with gear manufacturers over the years, but generally not in mountain biking, and certainly not in DH. This stuff is almost all essentially consumable, and most companies don't seem to have a lot of sympathy when I beater their stuff off of 3000 rocks, 20 trees, and it happens to explode. Especially pedals.

So, when a company is willing to throw down, upgrade something that I destroyed in the natural course of it's life, and do it for free, that's legit. I'll definitely keep buying twenty6.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
So, when a company is willing to throw down, upgrade something that I destroyed in the natural course of it's life, and do it for free, that's legit. I'll definitely keep buying twenty6.
That's exactly my experience with Crank Bros. Good to hear other companies compare.
And back on topic, I like my prerunners, but have never tested them on dh. Curious how the other thin pedals compare, so they're up for sale, if anyone's interested...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I still think wah wahs offer more grip than prerunners because of better pins but I hear the newer model prerunners have a different pin type. Still great pedals. I'm just not that much of a fan of non threaded pins.