Quantcast

Want a black fox 160 rc2 air, how do I get one?

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
I really want a black 160 rc2 that is air sprung, which is not an option from Fox. I'm not that hung up about the color, but do want air and rc2. I can get a float, but then it's the RLC damper. I cna get a talas which si black, but then it's still the RLC damper.

Could I swap out coil for air on a vanilla if it's brand new or will the spring have already scratched the inside of the stanchions too much for the air to hold?

Should I just run the vanilla and call it good?

This is for my 6 inch bike that does XC and FR duties and might see a few days at whistler as well.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sucks hey.

I have to be honest, I'm really annoyed that the trend in the industry is to think that no-one is riding 6" air forks hard enough to want something stiff and with decent damping. All these 150mm travel forks with 32mm legs and 15mm axles do nothing for me. Bring back the 36 Float RC2, and build me a frame with a warranty for it. Bikes like the Stumpy evo, Remedy etc look awesome except for the lack of warranty with decent forks.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Sucks hey.

I have to be honest, I'm really annoyed that the trend in the industry is to think that no-one is riding 6" air forks hard enough to want something stiff and with decent damping. All these 150mm travel forks with 32mm legs and 15mm axles do nothing for me. Bring back the 36 Float RC2, and build me a frame with a warranty for it. Bikes like the Stumpy evo, Remedy etc look awesome except for the lack of warranty with decent forks.
You could always lower the 36 Float to 150mm. Most warranty hounds would still probably frown on it, but it sounds like that's what you want.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
UHHHH I have a 36 Float RC2 with 160mm of travel. Its white but who gives a ****. Mine is a 2009, and I believe the 2010 is pretty much identical.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Could I swap out coil for air on a vanilla if it's brand new or will the spring have already scratched the inside of the stanchions too much for the air to hold?
I don't think the Stanchions are what hold the air inside. There is a cartridge inside the fork that does that. No way those dust wipers could be air tight.

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
UHHHH I have a 36 Float RC2 with 160mm of travel. Its white but who gives a ****. Mine is a 2009, and I believe the 2010 is pretty much identical.
Yep, but 2011 they moved the float to an RLC only. I have a hard time finding a used fork since my headtube is huge and I need a really long steerer tube.

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
I don't think the Stanchions are what hold the air inside. There is a cartridge inside the fork that does that. No way those dust wipers could be air tight.
Your right, the dust seals don't hold the air, the air cart is sealed by o-rings that sit against the inside of the stanchion tubes. I asked fox about swapping the coil for air and they said it can't be done, but they usually say that about anything :rolleyes:

I wonder how much the spring can scratch the tube if it's never been ridden, just installed. I could always try it, but if it didn't work I'm out the cost of the air spring (and wasted time).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What's the difference between RLC and rc2?

The RLC I had many years ago felt pretty good imo.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
What's the difference between RLC and rc2?

The RLC I had many years ago felt pretty good imo.
RLC= Rebound, lockout, compression
RC2+ Rebound, High-speed compression, Low-speed Compression.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Buy a 36 Van RC2 and before you ride it, replace the string with Air Piston Assembly (820-02-082-KIT) for 160mm or (820-02-080-KIT) for 180mm version. Also buy a new top cap (820-05-066-KIT). It should not be too expensive.

But, RC2 cart for Van and Talas has bottomout circuit, that shall be avoided in Float version as Float is progressive, so it don't need it. You'll not get full travel with it.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Yep, but 2011 they moved the float to an RLC only. I have a hard time finding a used fork since my headtube is huge and I need a really long steerer tube.
Why not buy a Float 180mm RC2 and lower it internally to 160mm? Other than the color it would fit all your requirements.

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
Why not buy a Float 180mm RC2 and lower it internally to 160mm? Other than the color it would fit all your requirements.
I've thought about that a lot also. Only downside is that the vanilla 160 is actually lighter than the 180 float, so it seems weird to buy a heavier fork to get an air spring (just a mental hang up I have)

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
But, RC2 cart for Van and Talas has bottomout circuit, that shall be avoided in Float version as Float is progressive, so it don't need it. You'll not get full travel with it.
hmm, didn't realize that. Sounds like I should just get the vanilla rc2 and quit worrying.

I like air springs for their infinite adjustability and haven't had good luck with getting coils to match my weight (165#). My coil experience is pretty limited though,a 2008 pike and a 2000 manitou. In your experience are the fox coils a good match?

Last edited:

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
hmm, didn't realize that. Sounds like I should just get the vanilla rc2 and quit worrying.
There's a option to cut few mm of the shaft, so you'll get more linear air spring. It was widely used on fox 32 floats.