Quantcast

Want to build some new wheels, looking for rim suggestions.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I weight the same as you and have the same tires, but I only mount them for mellow trails and run that pressure in front but 33 in back. Any less and I'd expect to dent my NoTubes Flows. For Moab Enduro I'd expect to cut that tire or dent a rim so I ran 2.4" Minion DHF Exos at 29/34 psi. I raced on a Scott Genius LT.

So I don't think those carbon rims are any weaker than Flows. If I rode Porcupine with 2.4 MKIIs at 28psi I'd probably dent my Flows beyond the ability to hold air or be repaired. That damage looks like it would hoto ld air and be rideable so I'd say they look handle impacts better than Flows. That fat lip looks like it's less likely to cut the sidewall too.
That's strange. I run flows only as front but on my dh rig and I've been using them for the last 2 seasons which included 3 very gnarly crashes, 4 weeks of Maribor riding (including the rockgarden) 2 weeks of Morzine/PDS. I run 28psi all the time, maxxis ust so 1.5ply sidewalls. Maybe it's your wheelbuilder?

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Wheelbuilder has nothing to do with rim dents. It's a factor of pressure, tire volume, tire casing, and how fast and hard you're hitting stuff. There's a 5psi difference between what I can get away with on smoother trails and what I need for race speed on rocky trails. Porcupine is a lot of fun but racing on it is gnarly. Lots of sharp edges you hit hard at speed. There were lots of flats and crashes in the pro field and I played it safe so I could push without worrying about my tires.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So Woo... how 'bout a long-term update on the Enve rims? This seems like an appropriate thread to bring that up? How are they holding up?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So Woo... how 'bout a long-term update on the Enve rims? This seems like an appropriate thread to bring that up? How are they holding up?
I have no idea, I can't afford that shlt. :D

All I know is that the only way I'll ever take a 29er seriously is with those spokes and rims on it. I was pretty damned inpressed with a pair a buddy brought by my house.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wheelbuilder has nothing to do with rim dents. It's a factor of pressure, tire volume, tire casing, and how fast and hard you're hitting stuff. There's a 5psi difference between what I can get away with on smoother trails and what I need for race speed on rocky trails. Porcupine is a lot of fun but racing on it is gnarly. Lots of sharp edges you hit hard at speed. There were lots of flats and crashes in the pro field and I played it safe so I could push without worrying about my tires.
No idea how rocky it is. If it's pointy than yeah since even the Maribor rockgarden I mentioned isn't pointy if you pick the line and manage to stick to it (if you won't you're screwed but that's a case for any trail). For some reason I started riding different and charging into stuff so my rims get killed less but I know it may be slower.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have no idea, I can't afford that shlt. :D

All I know is that the only way I'll ever take a 29er seriously is with those spokes and rims on it. I was pretty damned inpressed with a pair a buddy brought by my house.
woooops, silly me. I thought it was you that had done that review on BlisterGear, but it was Marshal Olson... I guess it's always good to double-check your sources, even on the internet!

But.... any chance you're in touch with him? you know how his rims have been holding up?