Quantcast

Wanted: 2 hour hill climb within an hour of Seattle

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
Can anyone suggest a nice climb somewhat close to home? I'm looking for an hour plus uphill - hopefully 2 hours - and I'm not too fussy about the decent.

Thanks for any ideas you may suggest.

-Neal

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
Ok - I'll try Kacheese this weekend - Crystal next weekend. I'm looking for dirt trails and I just couldn't think of any. Thanks,

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Neal said:
Ok - I'll try Kacheese this weekend - Crystal next weekend. I'm looking for dirt trails and I just couldn't think of any. Thanks,
we really don't have that kind of elevation around here. Around here (bellingham) a 3-4 mile climb can give you almost 2,000 feet of elevation gain. So you either want a not so steep long climb or what? You are going to have to go up into the mountains if you want a serious climb of 10 miles length... Like climb up to mt baker ski area. Or climb over both passes on highway 20.... Or maybe highway 2 up to stevens pass. Maybe climb up I-90 to snoqualmie pass???

You could do laps of the freund canyon (spelling???) climb... It's about 1800 foot elevation gain in 3-4 miles or so....

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
Well, I'm just getting back into longer rides. Now that the legs are able to ride Tiger and I don't have to push up the I-90 exits anymore, I'm trying to find rides to stretch it out a little more. There's always riding Jake the Snake on the roads, too, but I figure I can do that from Monday to Friday. While the weather is nice and there's no snow..might as well hit the steeps, find some new trails, and get out of the house.

Maybe in September I'll even get to the dry side of the state for some real epics...

Thanks all.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Green Mt. and Capitol Forest and Galbraith can be good climbing trails since they're right off of the freeways. They may be more miles away but timewise it's a little over an hour. Plus you get some pretty good payoff. Galby you'd pretty much have to climb up to the towers twice, but since there are so many trails you tailor your decent to what you want.
Also yes there are tons of epic riding off of highway 2 near Leavenworth and off of I-90 in Cle-Elum and the Greenwater stuff. All worthy and only available for a limited time (snow/fire closure).

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
While on this topic, i just wanna complain on how frikkin stupid we don't have more legal trails open to mt. bikes in King County.
Just wanted to keep my stance on that fresh.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Skookum said:
Green Mt. and Capitol Forest and Galbraith can be good climbing trails since they're right off of the freeways. They may be more miles away but timewise it's a little over an hour. ).

an hour???? wtf... that's a 20 minute climb to the towers... less if you are racing or tting. I go up from whatcom falls and hit the towers twice and it takes me not much more than 2 hours.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Word of advice if you hit Kachess Ridge...bring Deet!!! Of all the trails I've ridden this year so far, that one is easily the most mosquito-infested trail. It's all good as long as you don't stop.:eek:

Off Hwy 410, you have Corral Pass which hooks you up with 3 solid/sweet singletrack DH's. Directly across the highway lies Suntop. Both climbs are pretty demanding - Suntop is consistent and the fireroad is smoother. Corral Pass is steep, steeper and punishing steep in spots - plus, the road is very not smooth at all. All of the trails in this area provide for the most epic view or Mt. Rainier available.

Have fun!:thumb:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
While on this topic, i just wanna complain on how frikkin stupid we don't have more legal trails open to mt. bikes in King County.
Just wanted to keep my stance on that fresh.
Mountain Bikers fought the battle on Cougar years ago and lost- most of it was closed to bikers. Cougar would be the ideal place to have some trails open to bikes. Its the least steep of the Issaquah Mountains. The Talus development in Issaquah has set aside some pretty large opens space-maybe someday in the future some new trails?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mattv2099 said:
an hour???? wtf... that's a 20 minute climb to the towers... less if you are racing or tting. I go up from whatcom falls and hit the towers twice and it takes me not much more than 2 hours.
Good for you speedy.

Borregokid said:
Mountain Bikers fought the battle on Cougar years ago and lost- most of it was closed to bikers. Cougar would be the ideal place to have some trails open to bikes. Its the least steep of the Issaquah Mountains. The Talus development in Issaquah has set aside some pretty large opens space-maybe someday in the future some new trails?
Maybe, King County is where most of us live, but there isn't anything to ride near the city. i'm glad you bring up Cougar, many of the trails up there were cut by the old skool mt. bikers. Then all this business of Middle Fork Snoqualmie being closed a second straight year to mt. bikes WHEN THE FOREST SERVICE HAS DEEMED MT. BIKERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO RIDE THERE. But due to stingy hikers they keep throwing a monkey wrench in the works to keep us out. It's b.s. i'd really love to have real epic trails close to the city, there's no real reason not to open up a few singletrack trails to multi-use, within King County. The only reason is ignorance and/or selfishness on a truly pathetic scale.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Cant agree with you more. I hiked some of those trails and very few hikers use the trails. Harvey Manning and the Issaquah Alps were pretty persuasive in argueing against bikes. It would be great if there were a nice race-type course that was maybe 8-10 miles long and not too steep in King County. The Seatac course can only be worked to maybe 4.5 miles plus there is no climbing. Seatac I think is a bit underrated. Great course for learning to turn tightly.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
Cant agree with you more. I hiked some of those trails and very few hikers use the trails.
The truth is hikers barely use any of the trails because they have so many frikking trails open exclusively to them it's disgusting. But since they don't want mt. bikers ruining there "dream" solitude hippy nature feeling, they've been hording every last trail they can.
The amazing thing is that 90% of hikers i meet on the trail are totally cool, and i have a positive experience sharing the trail with. Are these people all two-faced and raising the stink? i don't think so, but i'm sure they pitch in their 2 cents unwittingly abiding by the insanity that is the Sierra Club and WTA.

roundnround

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Skookum said:
Then all this business of Middle Fork Snoqualmie being closed a second straight year to mt. bikes WHEN THE FOREST SERVICE HAS DEEMED MT. BIKERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO RIDE THERE. But due to stingy hikers they keep throwing a monkey wrench in the works to keep us out.
This is a little off topic from the thread, buuut:

It's not the hikers that obstructed the opening of the MF trail recently. There's an unrelated bit in the plan about closing the MF Rd (#56) beyond Dingford, and some jerk who doesn't believe in decomissioning roads has vowed to appeal that all the way to the end. That holds up the finalization of everything else in the MF plan.

The next appeals deadline is some time really soon. I don't think anything has been filed yet. Then we'll have to see whether the Forest Service is too busy with summer craziness to open the trail...

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
This is more than an hour from Seattle but the Mission Ridge Trail in Cashmere has a 13+ mile climb up a Forest Service road. If you want to do the Devil's Gulch trail you climb the same road up for around 11 miles. You can also climb up the Devil's Gulch trail for a singletrack climb if you wish. I'm a pretty slow climber and we climbed the Mission Ridge road in about 2 hours last Sunday.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
roundnround said:
This is a little off topic from the thread, buuut:

It's not the hikers that obstructed the opening of the MF trail recently. There's an unrelated bit in the plan about closing the MF Rd (#56) beyond Dingford, and some jerk who doesn't believe in decomissioning roads has vowed to appeal that all the way to the end. That holds up the finalization of everything else in the MF plan.

The next appeals deadline is some time really soon. I don't think anything has been filed yet. Then we'll have to see whether the Forest Service is too busy with summer craziness to open the trail...
Thanks for the scoop. Someone needs to decommission the jerk.