Quantcast

wanted: a simple, cheap phone with simple, cheap plan

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
time to get my own cell so my wife & i don't keep swapping, so i just want one that
  • makes/receives calls
  • nothing else
again, nothing hi-end, just functional w/ a reasonable plan. a little higher end than those old-fart phones you see advertised at the back of reader's digest. i don't talk a lot, and don't need sms nor web. gps would be nice, but not necessary. also, i'm not loyal to any brand.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
does your wife have verizon? If she does you could go with the family plan with both phones, $49.99 for the first phone, $9.99 for any aditional lines. Oh, and the razor is a nice phone, thin and light, easy to use too.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
we're on sprint, and our current obligation for the current phone is up, so i'm considering one of those free-after-rebate upgrades, and going to the local radio shack for a new line. i'll never go to a sprint store again; horrible cust svc & bloody ages to get what they think you need.

i'll check back here before i pull the trigger later this week.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Wirefly.com worked well for me and has very good prices. I've heard good things about Amazon too. Both were cheaper than going to a store the last time I checked.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
does your wife have verizon? If she does you could go with the family plan with both phones, $49.99 for the first phone, $9.99 for any aditional lines. Oh, and the razor is a nice phone, thin and light, easy to use too.
The Razr is a pile of ****. It likes to break.

Amazon.com is the place to go for cheap phones if you don't mind a 2 year contract. I can't recommend any specific phone, as everything I've owned has sucked donkey balls.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Older looking nokia phones are pretty tough, go to a store and ask for the phone with a security system, when they look at you wierd say, "you know a phone that is so big when someone tries to jack it you can throw it at them and knock them out." I've got one from t-mobile, which aside from having crappy coverage, is great for me. I get 300 minutes and unlimited weekends for 29.00, I think the phone was like $30 and they gave me free activation.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wirefly.com worked well for me and has very good prices. I've heard good things about Amazon too. Both were cheaper than going to a store the last time I checked.
Wirefly = cheap as fvck.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Wirefly = cheap as fvck.
damn, no kidding.

2 things happened in the past 24:
- corporate approval for one time expense of pda device
- corporate change of camera phone policy (allowed to possess, but not use)

with that, whadaya think of the motorola q-phone? is it just a repackaged razr w/ a qwerty keyboard? i like the expandable memory, so it can be stupid toy.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
with that, whadaya think of the motorola q-phone? is it just a repackaged razr w/ a qwerty keyboard? i like the expandable memory, so it can be stupid toy.
I've heard mostly bad things about them from a few people. A friend has one and he said that it works great 80% of the time, but that means it's malfunctioning for a bit over four hours a day.