Quantcast

Wanting to ride Windrock

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
And some other AM type stuff.

I realize that this is the DH board but many of you do some trail riding too.

We will be leaving OKC at the beginning of april. Bringing both trail and DH rigs.

We are going to stop in AR and ride the Syllamo trail and then head into TN. We were thinking about riding at Pisgah and then finishing up with a couple of days at Windrock on the DH bikes.

Questions:

When is Windrock open? Will it be open on April 1st?

What AM type of trails are around. Looking for multi hour rides Climbing is fine but we will be on 4-6" travel trailbikes.

Is there any really good trails (Tech, flowy etc.) between the Syllamo
and Windrock?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock (DH trails) should be open by then. Joey is playing it by the weather this year, since we opened a little too early last year. But you shold be just fine by April.

As far as AM type style, you can stay lost at Windrock on the XC bike for weeks. Its all jeep and 4wheeler trails but the climbing and decending will knock you out. I really enjoy XC riding out there. A 5/6" travel bike is perfect.

Just up the road from Windrock is Lone Mountain State Park. They have some excellent trail riding some awesome singletrack.

Haw Ridge is also really close to Windrock and its more of pure XC network, but its tight and technical and a favorite place of mine to ride.

Then if you feel like driving another 2 hours from Windrock you can be in Pisgah (Asheville, NC) or the Ococee (Chattanooga, TN) and both offer unbelievable trails deep in the mountains.

In fact, I may go on a XC ride at Windrock today.

check these out...

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Our group has went to Windrock on the Weekend around April 15th for the last 3 years. in 2004 and 2005 we had good weather. Last year, we had to wait until noon on Saturday to ride once the trails dried out from the monsoon on Friday night. That was fine since we got tons of riding in anyway and we didn't tear up the trails.

Since the ATV spring festival is that weekend, we think Joey is going to push the opening date to April 21st. Of course, that is completely weather dependant and he will be able to predict it better as the time nears. That said, he will keep the trails closed no matter how far you drove if riding them would do damage. Last fall, we drove down 10 hours and turned around without riding. While it was dissapointing, I completly agree with not damaging the trails. Also, Joey closes the trails during weekends with the big ATV/Jeep events so I am pretty sure that April 14th and 15th are out.

PM DHBuilder