Quantcast

Wanting to turn a DJ bike into a more trail friendly ride

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
So what i have is a Black Market riot with an argyle fork, rear brake only (avid Juicy 5) single speed. Looking to add a front brake, rear derailer, probably something like 36 front 10 sd rear. the trials around me seem to be singletrack with some uphill sections then some quick downhill with some technical parts involved. getting to old to be dirt jumping and breaking bones. opinions welcome please!

Vandal

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
I did that with my Specialized P1 years ago. I went with a 1x9 and a front brake. It was awesome until my friend pulled the seat out way too far and bent the post enough that it wouldn't drop back in. So be careful about that.

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
I ride a DJ bike on all the trails around here, they're fun, and definitely rewarding on the downhills, make your earn your turns. No matter what you do to the bike, know that the geometry was never meant to ride trails on a consistent basis. I've come to terms with this and pretty much ride everything with a dj setup, single speed, single brake, maxxis holy rollers, yeah its sketchy, but when I get on my dh bike, I'm definitely faster. I stand up most the time too, I'm building up an older Trek Remedy 66 right now though, so my dj trail days are numbered!!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I ride a DJ bike on all the trails around here, they're fun, and definitely rewarding on the downhills, make your earn your turns.... single speed, single brake... yeah its sketchy
agree with everything ive snipped.. i ride single track trails on a dj.. its an SS with just a rear brake..

i recently went to a wayy more techincal and steep trail, it was hard since it was mostly rock and my (only) brake kepy wanting to lock up. got sketchy couple of times, but i still had a blast! cant wait to start dh'ing & fr'ing on the 8" bike :D