Quantcast

Warning to future intense M6 owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
assuming that you took your own advice, your bikes suspension is set up all wrong

I respectfully disagree, and anticipated that everyone would rant about how they "need" to bottom out their shocks if they are to be set up properly. I am not saying you should never bottom out your shock but rather that if you set it up properly for the course or terrain you are riding you should effectively use all your travel (with the exception of several mm for a safety cushion) while only going over the limit and bottoming when you make a mistake and come up short, hit a bad transition, or get off on a line you didn't intend. If you are bottoming your suspension then you are not allowing it to do its job properly and putting unnecessary stress on your equipment and you. Not to mention that if you bottom then it means that with a better adjustment you could have taken that obstacle better, faster and more hooked up. In every form of motorcycle racing it is essential to dial in your suspension to the race course, weather conditions, rider ability, and how aggressive the rider needs to be to win the race. However I have not seen very much of this same enthusiasm for proper suspension set up filter down to the bike community yet. To really set up your suspension properly it takes a lot of data and a lot of sharing information, plus a few suspension guru's to help make sense of all the information. I am hoping my suspension guru from motorcycling will get more involved in the bicycling community, until then I will just pick his brain when I can.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
assuming that you took your own advice, your bikes suspension is set up all wrong

I respectfully disagree, and anticipated that everyone would rant about how they "need" to bottom out their shocks if they are to be set up properly. I am not saying you should never bottom out your shock but rather that if you set it up properly for the course or terrain you are riding you should effectively use all your travel (with the exception of several mm for a safety cushion) while only going over the limit and bottoming when you make a mistake and come up short, hit a bad transition, or get off on a line you didn't intend. If you are bottoming your suspension then you are not allowing it to do its job properly and putting unnecessary stress on your equipment and you. Not to mention that if you bottom then it means that with a better adjustment you could have taken that obstacle better, faster and more hooked up. In every form of motorcycle racing it is essential to dial in your suspension to the race course, weather conditions, rider ability, and how aggressive the rider needs to be to win the race. However I have not seen very much of this same enthusiasm for proper suspension set up filter down to the bike community yet. To really set up your suspension properly it takes a lot of data and a lot of sharing information, plus a few suspension guru's to help make sense of all the information. I am hoping my suspension guru from motorcycling will get more involved in the bicycling community, until then I will just pick his brain when I can.

True, and you'll also notice that the top moto guys bottom out far more often than we do.

the rest of your arguement is rubbish, by the way.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Did you hear a lout 'bbzzzzzt' when he landed?

edit: you need to post some more photos man. I don't think I've ever seen a bad one from you. And this place could use the riding content.

With the company you keep, I know you're sitting on some gems.
Did a photoshoot with JD and Matti a few weeks ago, all day, M6, DH, dirtjumps, casing, big hits, full DH runs, no buzzing.

But for what its worth, I heard Intense has some different dropouts to de-tune the geo....but don't take that as fact, its all erumour yo!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Did a photoshoot with JD and Matti a few weeks ago, all day, M6, DH, dirtjumps, casing, big hits, full DH runs, no buzzing..
Please share

But for what its worth, I heard Intense has some different dropouts to de-tune the geo.
Good to know.....

Get one of these things and come up here for a test ride. IE let me test ride it :D

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
After talking to Intense on three different occasions, sending them pictures of the problem, they finally admitted that the tire does rub on the frame.

and what did they say about it?

they doing anything about it?
INTENSE offered me NO SOLUTION at all. The gentlemen I spoke with who handles the warrantee issues went on to tell me that Chris Kovarik won the Fontana nationals on his M6. I told him that was great but by no means does that negate that fact that my tire hits the frame. He then told me, out of the all the intense M6’s that were produced, my buddy and I were the only people who have called and complained about the rubbing issue. What a great company …

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Official response !
First off thanks to the M6 owners for being patient waiting for me to get involved and everyone else who has gotten involved for you concerns. I wanted to analize what was really going on here so I could provide the correct answers. We have a replacement drop out that will allow running a 2.5 Intense FRO tire ( same as 2.7 maxxis )with room to spare @ bottom out, it will also raise the BB by 1/2".
The M6 replaceable drop out setup (also used on Socom, SS, Uzzi, M3 ) was origanally designed with the intention of being able to offer different dropouts for tuning purposes, unfortunatly we haven't quite gotten around to producing all the options I planned just the 150, 135 & Maxle to date.Here we go, we will make the new M6 drop out available no charge to current M6 owners that want to make the change. With in a week or two we will make them avail through distributers and dealers. We will also ship all new M6's with the new Drop out. Also the drop out will be available for purchase to anyone wanting to modify their Socom , SS, Uzzi, or new M6. Might be nice for anyone using their SS for more trail application to help in the climbing geometry.
I realize my mistake here with my intention to give the consumer a DH exactly like our top WC racers run ( Matti, Chris etc.) a true FRO (for race only)and not some deluted down model but see now that this is not for everyone and was a bad idea. Intense has always pushed the geometry envelope starting way back with Palmer. Just because it works for Chris or Matti doesn't mean it will work for everyone. One guy posted a comparison to a BMW but my intention with the M6 was more like athe BMW m3 GTR and yes the tolerances are tight and at times on the track it will throw sparks and burn rubber and most of us would never get it out of the pits with the 6" clutch & flywheel. Yes most of us would love a GTR but what we really need is a sport coupe.
I think the Drop out is a great
fix and will allow either setup choice. I was, am really proud of this bike and hope that no one has been discouraged with this thread as I have never seen a WARNING posted like this. The bike is the best performing Intense DH frame to date. The new drop out solves the tire issues and allows for more range of adjustment with the BB height as fork clamp placements seem to be all over the place and really affect BB height.
Again hope this is acceptable and my mistake.
JS

Status
Not open for further replies.