Quantcast

Warped Front Rotor

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
After two years of use the front rotor on my bike has become warped. Is this right in terms of longevity for a rotor?

Also, can it be straightened or am I going to have to purchase a new one?

Oh yeah, I run Magura Louise on my bike.

Thank you for the help...:help:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
you can heat it up, then it get´s easier to unwarp.
Remove the rotor from the wheel, heat it up with Acetylen or LPG or any other gas and when it get´s very hot it´s easy to make it straight.
Just don´t touch it with your hand.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

From a metalworking standpoint - safer to buy an new rotor.

Yeah, two years of constant use sounds about par for the course on something like that. As for straightening it yourself, this would be a bad idea in my book. First of all, you will never get it as straight as it would come from the factory - ever. Bending it, even a little, stresses the metallic structure in ways it was never designed to. This may cause your rotor to crack and possibly seperate, causing a spectacular endo most unexpectedly. Heating the rotor to the point where it is malleable is also bad because that will change the overall crystalline structure of the steel in one particular area. The only safe way to bring it back in true is to heat it up to red - bright red on the scale (for stainless) and to put it in a hydraulic press and then air quench. This is something I wouldn't take part in even with some experience in metalworking.

Spend the extra few bucks... It's like when my wife complains about the price of bike helmets - "how much is my head worth to you honey?" You'll ride safer.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!
Spend the extra few bucks... It's like when my wife complains about the price of bike helmets - "how much is my head worth to you honey?" You'll ride safer.
You are right...I had to open up the pads a little than I cared for while riding this weekend.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and order a new rotor this week.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
No way around it. even if you don't burn your fingerprints off your hand trying to flatten the rotor, the "memory will allow it to warp anought o be a continuios problem for you. Spring for a new rotor and save yourself a long headache.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
If it isn't worn from the pad, then I would just bend it back. You haven't warped it beyond it's plastic region, cause it still ride in between the caliper. And when you bend it back, as long as you don't bend it beyond it's plastic region it will be fine. SS can take a lot of abuse.

a friend of mine run a rotor for 3 years, finally had to replace it cause the middle of it (in comparison to the pad) was wearing thin.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
If the rotor is bad enough that you need a mallet 2 cresent wrenchs go buy a new one ,But if it`s only a slight tweak just use your hands :rolleyes: the rotors are only .0625 ;)