Quantcast

Washington coast help

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
two major trail heads, birch st(WF park) and Galby lane(Samish way/padden), the birch or north side is the more xc/singletrack entrance, galby lane/south side is a road you climb with some xc loops but most people just push/pedal up the road, i like singletrack more than fireroads myself but it is quicker to the towers on the galby lane side, you'll have to look at some trail maps of galby to really see.

there are afew other entrances but they exit at random places in neighborhoods

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks so much for the info. Anyone else have suggestions?

I was looking at houses in Sudden Valley today. There are some good buys in there. From the map it looks to be only 6-8 miles back to town. That doesnt seem that far.

What else is so bad about Sudden Valley beside the road in the winter and the darkness from the trees?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the darkness also comes from the sun not coming up over the hill in the winter, also mold can be an issue, winter time everything stays wet.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
If you don't mind the feeling of living in a temperate rain forest then Sudden Valley isn't that bad. It really is quite pretty in its own way, its just that not all people are able to handle that type of surrounding for very long. So I guess you have to ask yourself if you can handle long, dark, wet seasons cause it going to be about the same there from October through May or June.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I never thought 6-8 miles from town would make that much difference. Thanks for the heads up. Im going to just look for a cheaper house near the Whatcom Falls Park. hmmm

Im going to call the realitor today and see if I can get my house on the market in the next month or two.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Just remember the further up into the hills you get the more the clouds stack up and rains. When you're closer to the coast the winds help drive the clouds inland and make for some occasional sun breaks. In fact its pretty common to have it raining and the sun shining all at the same time in town.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im looking at houses as close to Whatcom Falls Park as possible. Im going to stop and look at houses on my way to Whistler in a couple weeks. Im keeping my fingers crossed that we find something reasonable and close to the park.

I have a couple houses to look at on Alabama Street.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Here's a secret. Galbraith is not the only place to ride in Bham.

I personally would not consider a house east of I5, unless it was on the lake, but that's me. I would look hard at York, Sehome Hill, and Lettered neighborhoods. History, character, short walk to downtown, 15min pedal to the woods, and you know some nasty townhouse development isn't going to pop up next door.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just want to live next to a trail sytem, when I move. I want to be able to leave the house on my big DH/FR/Trail bike and hit the trails for an hour before or after work. Are there any other areas like this in B-Ham?

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I just want to live next to a trail sytem, when I move. I want to be able to leave the house on my big DH/FR/Trail bike and hit the trails for an hour before or after work. Are there any other areas like this in B-Ham?
I would agree with Thad on this one.

The pedal out Lakeway from downtown is easy as pie, tons of folks do it. It's a gradual uphill on the way there, with a little dip to rest your legs/lungs. On the way home you can coast the most of the way. York district (west of I5, east of Ellis and north of Lakeway) is really cool, but has a fair amount of college rental places. Lettered streets (literally, look at a map) are further from the trailhead but a little more grown up. Both have awesome old houses and nice yards, etc.

Whatever though... I wouldn't know what to do if I was moving someplace I had never been (?) and asking a bunch of strangers ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I found a couple jobs. One wants me to start Nov 1st. Im not sure I can make it that soon. Ive got to sell my house and that might take awhile.

Ill be in B-ham looking at houses on Sept 8th to get a feel for the area of where I want to buy a house.

Thanks for all the info. If anyone has anything else to add, Id appreciate it.