Quantcast

watching laptop videos on TV?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd like to watch videos from my laptop on my big screen TV. What should I do?

Is there a reason to go with a third party device instead of just going s-video (laptop) to s-video/RCA (TV)? Seems like my laptop supports laptop-TV-dualmode.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
how big if your tv? is it hd?
what resolution are your videos?

s-video isnt that good. and it kinda sucked on my tv, although i suspect on a smaller tv (like <42") would look better.
RCA flat out sucks. but if your videos are like 320*200, it wouldnt be so bad for full screen video anyways...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
36" TV

Resolutions are 320 to 640.

S-Video looked fine going laptop to TV (just found the s-video cable). But I guess s-video means just that, so I'd have to hook external speakers to my laptop.

If I go this route, I'll want a 6foot+ cable instead of the 2' one I have so I can keep the laptop on the table between the couch and TV.

Other than this inexpensive option, what else?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
also, and most important... is s-video hot-swappable? I don't want to have to power down the laptop everytime I want to add or remove the cable.

EDIT: in case anyone's interested :) I'll take an 1/8" male to 2 RCA male connectors to get the audio from laptop to TV. Probably buy 12' cables for audio and video, tape 'em together.. $20?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
also, and most important... is s-video hot-swappable? I don't want to have to power down the laptop everytime I want to add or remove the cable.
i´ve hot swapped many times s-video without any problems.

get a longer s-video cable. the best one you find. it makes a lot of difference.

s-video is, IMO, the best option. your videos are 640*480, thats pretty close to the 480 lines that s-video can carry.

if your tv supports 720p or 1080i you *could* buy a dvi/vga-component thing, but last time i checked they were like 100-200 bucks, but i remember they tend to have overscan problems and can require a significant deal of fiddling. but since the limit to full screen playback is the resolution of your videos, you´d be fine with s-video.