Quantcast

Watershed Question single ring riders

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I see people ride the shed with single rings up front.....not just the shuttle trails but the drop trails too where I would think you would need a smaller ring up front.

What size ring are you guys using up front and can you still do wheelie drops when those tight, between tree 3-4 footers come up?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I run 22/32 up front but i dont recall ever dropping to granny at the shed except to do the horrible climb out at the end of the day.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by vogey40
How do you get to the Shed?
Try this. The Mapquest directions are from St. Charles, MD. Not sure where you are in relation to that but if you x-reference this with any road map you should be able to figure it out.

Also do a search for Frederick Watershed directions or Gambrill directions. They've been posted several times before.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by jmvar
I see people ride the shed with single rings up front.....not just the shuttle trails but the drop trails too where I would think you would need a smaller ring up front.

What size ring are you guys using up front and can you still do wheelie drops when those tight, between tree 3-4 footers come up?
38t on my DH bike never had any trouble hitting anything on any of the drop trails. 36t on the Evil. I use 11-30 XT cassettes.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I ran a 42t/11-30 on my DH bike and a 40t/11-34 on my HT and don't recall having any issues with the drops at the Watershed due to gearing.

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA

not sure how many teeth i'm running up front as i've never paid much attention and my bikes not in front of me but i ride a 53lb RM-9 and i don't have an issue on anything at the Shed but those phucking climbs!!!!

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Hi guys,

I got directions to a Hamburg Rd. When I get there is that where the trails are, or how will I know where to go from there?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by vogey40
Hi guys,

I got directions to a Hamburg Rd. When I get there is that where the trails are, or how will I know where to go from there?
Once on Hamburg Road there's a parking area about 200 yards from the intersection of Hamburg and Gambrill Park Road. That's also where the Catoctin Blue trail crosses Hamburg and it's a good starting point for entry into the Watershed. You could start here and explore but you'd probably be best served by hooking up with someone who knows the area as it's somewhat difficult to describe in words where the usual routes are. Let us know when you want to come up and ride and we'll see if we can set something up.

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004

I use a 32T up front (17T in the back), but I usually walk down any drop higher than 1'. You guys must be massively strong to do all the uphills with front rings of 38-42!

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by D�R
umm.......yeeaaah...........that's it.........:p ;)
heh heh...yeah, more like 1st or 2nd gear while gunning the gas pedal for the 'uphills' ;) :D.

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
I was just ;) .

I've done the full suspension thing, and I'm through with it.

:D I'm one of those rigid singlespeed fools that get in your guys' way. When you think downhill, I see up! :D