Quantcast

watershred sunday

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
this is not a picture of brian tearing it up at the watershed... it's a picture of the IDEA of brian tearing it up at the watershed. got it? :eek:

great friggin ride today guys. damien, hope that shoulder feels better.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
thanks for sharin'! Good to hear you boys gettin some ride time in, I did a 5 hour ride today it was great! Good times!

Nice shot!

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
what a day for riding! now that i've made the clipless plunge on the big bike, i need to figure out how to stop crashing on the XC part of the rides :D

brian is my hero... representing 10-10-50 on the 45! ;)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I was hoping to come out with a nice spectrum of purples on my shoulder to admire but alas no. I think I'll have to settle for just the torn rotator cuff. It definitely feels worse now than yesterday. This is one of the few times I wish I drove an automatic instead of stick - driving to work today just about killed me. I'll bet I looked pretty funny though trying to drive a stick with an immobilized right arm. The left thumb feels like it's broken but it's probably not. I never realized now handy opposable thumbs are until now.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
ugh, that sucks man... i've got a pretty good ortho guy if you need a recommendation.

i guess we should have some buckets lying around at the top of E :p

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Damien, I got pretty good at the "itsy-bitsy spider" technique of manuvering my arm around the car. It worked fairly well, but I hurt my left shoulder. I am feeling for ya brother. Get that thing checked out for real if you haven't.

10-10-50 Representing
-bp

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
DamienC said:
I was hoping to come out with a nice spectrum of purples on my shoulder to admire but alas no. I think I'll have to settle for just the torn rotator cuff. It definitely feels worse now than yesterday. This is one of the few times I wish I drove an automatic instead of stick - driving to work today just about killed me. I'll bet I looked pretty funny though trying to drive a stick with an immobilized right arm. The left thumb feels like it's broken but it's probably not. I never realized now handy opposable thumbs are until now.
What'd you tank it on? Were you uppin' the ante or did you eat it on something you probably shoulda cleaned?

I rode the blue trail on Saturday from Gambrill to the bottom of Hamburg, etc. on the Chaparral and was feeling very wild and squirrily compared to the Scream. Had I not pvssed out in a couple sections, I would have been very purple. I can't believe I used to do that stuff on a hardtail Stumpjumper w/80mm Z2BAM. If I tried that today, I would need to be airlifted out of there. :dead:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
llkoolkeg said:
What'd you tank it on? Were you uppin' the ante or did you eat it on something you probably shoulda cleaned?
Pilot error, picked wrong line on that one trail with all 'dem rocks ;) :p :D.

Looks like I missed out on some good action after I left.

Brian - yeah, I'm getting pretty good at lurching around my car to reach certain controls. I'm pretty sure it's just the rotator cuff like you said yesterday. There's no discoloration, tenderness, or funny bumps. Just hurts like a mofo when trying to reach higher than about ear-height.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I havent been to the shed in a while. Now that I have my P.1, maybe I will come out more. Might go up there on 4/24 and ride with my friend and his sister who lives right at the top of the Piperun. Lucky. Let me know if any of you are going up. I am sure we will need a shuttle.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Damien I can't remember the techincal term for my problem but it was basically that the rotator cuff was messed up and was pinched, which was the pain when I moved it. The test they gave me to determine the problem. The shoulder jointit sits loose in the joint when your arm is parrallel to your body. But it begins to pinch the cuff when you begin to raise it. It is at it's tightest spot at perpendicular. It will begin to loosen up when you start going higher. So the test is to try and duplicate the abobe scenario. Hang your arm at your side. Begin to raise it outwards. It will probably begin to hurt like a sob. Try to take your arm all the way above your head. I was pretty much healed when I had this done, so I could do this, but you might need some assistance to get past the point of pain. It should hurt less with your arm at the top. I still felt some pain at this point but a lot less. This is what they did with me. I can't confirm anything with this test, since I am not a doctor and all, but it may give you an idea what you are dealing with. I would recommend getting it checked out if I were you. I don't think surgery is unusual with these things.

I had another crash today -- handlebar in the gut. So now I am like the old guy in every town that walks around at a 90 degree angle.

-bp

AV

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
Damien if you need a good orthopedist try Chris Annunziata. His office is in Arlington hospital. Did my wifes collarbone surgery. He comes highly recommended as one of my friends who was chief resident of orthopedic surgery at Georgetown told me if he had to see an orthopedist that is who he would go to. Feel better and just crank up the music while driving so people will think you are just rocking out man.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
_bp said:
I had another crash today -- handlebar in the gut. So now I am like the old guy in every town that walks around at a 90 degree angle.
and i have pictures... how you feeling grandpa? good riding today. i think my camera is a curse against you. it felt good to hit up 495 with the transfer and have DBR clean them suckers too!

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Big D,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Man get it checked out.

I had my should checked out like BP said when I wrecked at mountain crack. I also went thru a separted should test. Basically follow your collar bone up til it meets your shoulder, press down easy on the collar bone until you get to the top of your shoulder. If it hurts you prolly got a separation. No big deal I think they put you in a brace for a few weeks. Also try to push your are up like you are going to do the "wave" if that hurts at the top of your shoulder, that indicates a possible separation. But like Bp said I ain't no doc so get it checked out

Feel better dude

And remeber just use your left hand it will feel like you just got a new girl friend!

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Cool...thanks for all the good advice guys. It's already feeling a bit better but still limited in mobility. I tried all the tests suggested above...most likely not separated (doesn't hurt if I press down anywhere along the collar bone). I can raise my arm until it's almost parallel to the ground before it starts to cause pain. I'm going to have it checked out Thursday. Even though I AM a doctor (okay, so not the kind I could probably use at the moment), it takes some pulling of teeth to get me to go see (a real) one.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Mine got better pretty quickly over the course of a week, then stopped. It stayed the same for the next five weeks or so.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Dang, Damien; hope you heal quickly! I had a super fantastic time out there with ya'll...
I think Wendy's going out sheddin on Thursday... :heart:
Nice to meet you two, too, Brian and Corey!