Quantcast

Ways to Prevent your Pedal from mudering your shins?

Farkel

Chimp
Apr 23, 2009
Union City, California
I know Im a big noob but I'm getting fed up with my left shin getting eaten up by my pedal

I was bunnyhopping a stairset and for some god dam stupid reason my left leg just had to slip off and I got slashed all the way up my shin

i dunno about wearing shin guards when riding street but I might start doing it, I just cant predict when my leg will slip off

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
i dunno about wearing shin guards when riding street
any elaboration on why you don't know?
It's the only answer. Wear them, unless you think it's cool to have a shin that looks like a piece of rotten hamburger for the rest of your life. Mine does (from the few times I forgot to wear them), and it's not cool, nor do chicks dig it, despite what public belief says.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
rock the guards under your jeans if your so worried about people seeing you in them. sticky shoes help to but mostly it will just get better with time.

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
1. go with some shin gaurds and put them under jeans like others have mentioned.

2. learn better technique

3. get grippier shoes, 5.10 freeriders should work good for street and still look somewhat cool

4. get flatter pedals. the flatter they are the less they will want to roll out from under your feet. check these out, expensive but i haven't slipped of them in the 3 months of DJ's, DH, and lots and lots of freeriding. have them on 2 of my bikes.
http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/pedals

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I won't ride hard without shin guards. Nothing like flaying your whole shin open, filling the wound with dirt and ruining a shoe by filling it with blood.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
4. get flatter pedals. the flatter they are the less they will want to roll out from under your feet. . . .
??
seems like that's the point of concave pedals . . . .

Primo Stricker pedal - Mag sealed
$69.95
9/16" only; Josh Stricker signature pedal, smaller and lighter than the traditional Super Tenderizer; lightweight concave magnesium body with replaceable theaded pins; 12mm heat-treated cromoly spindle

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6668

Demolition Team pedals - sealed

$59.95

1 lb, 8.6 oz; 9/16" only; sealed cartridge bearing version - features vertical and horizontal concave for better grip and feel; replaceable pins and heat treated cromoly spindle

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
its all about your technique, unless u're doing something super gnarly.
you're riding street? no need for the ugliness of 5.10s - let it hide in the woods, get some nice and soft 6.0s, or Vans with a good pattern.

plastic pedals help, but you can still teach yourself a lesson with those.
just stay calm, stay focused and you wont slip yee pedals.

def dont spend 100$ on street pedals. 15$ plastics work perfecto.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
its all about your technique, unless u're doing something super gnarly.

just stay calm, stay focused and you wont slip yee pedals.
isn't that just a tad too much generalized? I've seen guys with mad skills getting their shins stripped because of slight mistakes on moves that weren't exactly super gnarly.
Small things can make you bail bigtime, and it can happen to everyone, skilled or not..
Last time I praised myself for wearing shin guards, I was doing some gap into a grass bank. Went perfect, except that one small piece was really muddy but I couldn't see it because of the grass. I landed right into that muddy part, bike got stuck and I was of my pedals in no time. Not sure on how a better technique could account for that, or is inspecting every single inch of the spot where I'm going to land before trying part of good technique?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
hey there. dont yell at me, mister!
i'm just talking from personal experience. when i stared i used to slip my pedals hopping a curb because i would think to hard about it. i would blame it on my pedals, my shoes, this and that. and while all of those factors are a part of it, time/practice/confidence reduced pedal slipping events to freak accidents and not to a norm.
obviously its possible for anyone to slip a pedal.

and yes, checking out your landing before you go for it is part of good technique ;)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
??
seems like that's the point of concave pedals . . . .
kind of....
the closer your foot is to the axle the less it will try to roll out from under your foot. Im sure some scientific type could explain it better but go out and try it. i have gone from standard type pedals (wellgo, sun ringle) to 17mm (deity, wah wah, corsairs) to the canfields and there is a big difference. the pedal doesn't try to tip on you from one side to the other.
just going from standard to 17mm will show you how much of a difference there is. the canfields take it one step further.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
No need to disect, just get some lizardskin shin guards. They're slim and fit under your jeans, they breathe decent and are solid.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
while all of those factors are a part of it, time/practice/confidence reduced pedal slipping events to freak accidents and not to a norm.
This. I don't think I know anyone that wears shin pads. Not that there's anything wrong with it... it's just not necessary for most riders.

Tiresnag

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
BRONX, NY
This. I don't think I know anyone that wears shin pads. Not that there's anything wrong with it... it's just not necessary for most riders.
ya, I rarely slip off my pedals anymore. back in the day when I was just getting the hang of riding trails, it was a real problem.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
^^^^ I think street is more of an issue on pedal slip. I mainly grind and pedal slip is often, I'm not a noob but I'm not a pro. There was a couple Solid riders I'd run into while riding and their shins were nasty. I know a good amount of street riders in my area that wear guards.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Lots of people wear shin gaurds, imo its alright if you got them under your jeans or something.

Random pictures of people rocking knee/shin gaurds that works:

jonroksit

Chimp
Oct 24, 2009
i wear Skinny jeans when im just riding around town, but when i hit the park i usually wear a bootcut jean and i put my 661 veggie wrap knee pads and lizardskins shin guards underneath. they are both pretty slim compared to my race face knee/shin combo