Quantcast

WC Kit for Boxxer Team?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Who was it that had the $100 upgrade kit for 06 Team internals? I know someone posted they had it a little while ago.

Was it a RS kit or a "homemade" kinda thing?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Thanks Lanky!

Suspect, could I just order those parts from a distributor like BTI or QBP or would I have to get them from you?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
anyone tried putting a rag with car polish and a dremel with a flex shaft inside the stanchion and honing the air stanchion themselves? i guess it should work.

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
Ma
Bicyclist said:
Thanks Lanky!

Suspect, could I just order those parts from a distributor like BTI or QBP or would I have to get them from you?

I havn't seen the parts listed in either of those two places, so best bet is stright from sram

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If Sram releases more stock of the pistons, then you will be able to order them from a distro. Sram doesn't sell dealer-direct, and they have orders to tell dealers that no retro-fitting is possible. Those are lies to preserve profit-margins.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So how do you get the kit? And it would be $180 for both stanchions and internals (cause I want 2 of the same colored stanchions), right?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If you want to waste money to have 2 stanchions that are the same color, go ahead. It really makes no difference in the way the fork performs. Any dealer could theoretically get the parts, if they become available again.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Suspect has 2 different colored stantions. It took him half a week to notice (I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out). They look very similar.

SuspectDevice said:
If Sram releases more stock of the pistons, then you will be able to order them from a distro. Sram doesn't sell dealer-direct, and they have orders to tell dealers that no retro-fitting is possible. Those are lies to preserve profit-margins.
So true,so true.'
Every year at I-bike the sram guys will confirm upgrade potential but the tech's at the RS boxxer call center always say sorry no go.
Hardy ,har,har......
I hate to commit dealer price qoute taboo but FYI the stanchions are $67 a piece from BTI if you got a hook-up.
If you go to your LBS they can get all the RS small parts that you'll need from QBP and BTI but only BTI has the stanchions.
:teacher:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
betcha you dont need the stanchion either.

you guys have no clue how understood im feeling now after i spent so much time getting runaround answers back in 03 with the whole race-to-team upgrade thing

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
vitox said:

you guys have no clue how understood im feeling now after i spent so much time getting runaround answers back in 03 with the whole race-to-team upgrade thing
If there's no mods for '07, I'll go for the upgrade.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
vitox said:

If you have a previous year world cup (03-05) then you don't need the stantion. Otherwise you do.

With the oldstyle worldcups QBP lists those stantions with the same part number as the 06's yet lists different years. So assuming that they are the same internally then your previous year WC's could become 06 WC's.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
bballe336 said:
If you have a previous year world cup (03-05) then you don't need the stantion. Otherwise you do.

With the oldstyle worldcups QBP lists those stantions with the same part number as the 06's yet lists different years. So assuming that they are the same internally then your previous year WC's could become 06 WC's.
hmm i wouldnt bet on that, they might be listing them that way, but then again neither sram nor qbp are concerned about people modding the forks themselves, the listing you see is probably just cost based, the more expensive stanchion goes on the wc, the cheaper one on the others, i cant really see why RS would be honing the inner surface of a stanchion in 2003 when it would have a spring scratching the he11 out of it and solo-air was 3 years away.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
vitox said:
hmm i wouldnt bet on that, they might be listing them that way, but then again neither sram nor qbp are concerned about people modding the forks themselves, the listing you see is probably just cost based, the more expensive stanchion goes on the wc, the cheaper one on the others, i cant really see why RS would be honing the inner surface of a stanchion in 2003 when it would have a spring scratching the he11 out of it and solo-air was 3 years away.
lol so is there a way to turn an '05 world cup into an '06 world cup without spending $400 something? my '05 works great...but if i can upgrade something at low cost...y the hell not right?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
LOOnatic said:
So true,so true.'
Every year at I-bike the sram guys will confirm upgrade potential but the tech's at the RS boxxer call center always say sorry no go.
Hardy ,har,har......
I hate to commit dealer price qoute taboo but FYI the stanchions are $67 a piece from BTI if you got a hook-up.
If you go to your LBS they can get all the RS small parts that you'll need from QBP and BTI but only BTI has the stanchions.
:teacher:
I work at a shop.

So then it sounds like BTI is the best bet if they have the stuff in stock.

I'll need the stanchions, the air top cap, and what else?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Bicyclist said:
I work at a shop.

So then it sounds like BTI is the best bet if they have the stuff in stock.

I'll need the stanchions, the air top cap, and what else?
The solo air cartridge. I think that is about 40 dollars.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
LukeD said:
lol so is there a way to turn an '05 world cup into an '06 world cup without spending $400 something? my '05 works great...but if i can upgrade something at low cost...y the hell not right?
you could always turn it into an '06 Team (spring, not air) for ~$100 I think. Would come with the motion control, shim stack and 1 spring (so you're losing the weight of 1 spring), and it's a relatively easy upgrade. you only need to go nuts if you want the air spring instead of the coil.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bballe336 said:

The stantions are backward compatible (not forward). You can use a 2006 WC stantion on a 2005 WC cartridge but not a 2005 stantion on a 2006 WC cartridge.

The techs have always told me upgrading older forks was possible. However, they also have said that it would be cheaper to sell and buy a new fork rather than buy all of the parts at retail. I think their correct.

On a side note, I really like the tune-ability of my 2006 Team. It is the closest DH fork to my MX fork (KTM250SXF and YZ250F) without being stupid expensive or heavy.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
ChrisKring said:
The stantions are backward compatible (not forward). You can use a 2006 WC stantion on a 2005 WC cartridge but not a 2005 stantion on a 2006 WC cartridge.

The techs have always told me upgrading older forks was possible. However, they also have said that it would be cheaper to sell and buy a new fork rather than buy all of the parts at retail. I think their correct.

On a side note, I really like the tune-ability of my 2006 Team. It is the closest DH fork to my MX fork (KTM250SXF and YZ250F) without being stupid expensive or heavy.
Chris,
Which spring are you running in your fork?
I now have the soft and it feels better, but the fork still feels "tight."
I think it is just taking a while for the seals to break in.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Jeremy R said:
Chris,
Which spring are you running in your fork?
I now have the soft and it feels better, but the fork still feels "tight."
I think it is just taking a while for the seals to break in.
I have been running the stock yellow (medium) spring. However, I just obtained some additional springs. I put a soft into mine to try out this weekend in VA. I weight 195 so if it is too soft, I'll switch back. However, I have found that RS over-springs every boxxer due to huckers e-bitching about bottoming on a 15' drop to flat. I have ran a soft and a medium every year since 2002.

I put an extra soft into Stacey Omland's fork (expert women on team HGR). We'll see if that does the trick for her 125 pounds. At Windrock, I didn't have any 2006 springs to help her out. So I threw in a 2004 yellow spring with a 2004 long spacer. Worked good.

Use teflon lube under the dust wipers to fix the stiction. Look me up this weekend if your at VA and I'll lube your stantion.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Jeremy R said:
:hot: I am not camping no where near you.:rofl:

Ha, thanks man, I'll see ya there.
Seriously, I'll have some teflon lube with you want to try it out. If you want gross, I have this tire sealant from Tractor Supply that freaks anyone out. :hot:

Bill Stevens and I are coming down to the race this weekend. We'll have his Asstek. We may have our teenage superstar with if he can get out of diver's training. Staying at the hotel at the hill.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SuspectDevice said:
If you want to waste money to have 2 stanchions that are the same color, go ahead. It really makes no difference in the way the fork performs. Any dealer could theoretically get the parts, if they become available again.
Mickey you noob,
Clean out your PM box.:)