Quantcast

WC Round 2 Fort William

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
So, no news yet on the next WC? No one rolling in the pits yet?
What's the weather forecast like? I heard the weather was pretty ****ty in that region last weekend.

BRING IT ON :cheers:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Weather was indeed harsh for the last 3 weekends (bikes not allowed on chairlifts each w/e due to high winds) the high winds have finally ****ed off and the weather's taken a turn for the better here recently and is predicted to be good for the weekend.. ;D

Hope Gwin wins again this weekend, but only if he cracks out a Bling Bling again (I want Maxxis to bring those things back sooo bad, and preferably at the prices from their era ;) )

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I'm up there at the moment, did a track walk yesterday and got some photos, they are up on my teams blog Give it a check out, I'll have updates throughout the weekend and a video after practice.

The track was very nice yesterday, apparently it has had a lot of rain, but aside from section before the new drop you wouldn't really know it. Everything is mint on it at the moment. The weather is crap today, but meant to be getting better from tomorrow onwards.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I want to see Gwin for the win, and Gracia flipping out in his race run :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Your contest is too hard. you want me to guess times?!?!?! :D

but seriously, I'm finding this one way too hard to call. Gee, Steve, Hill and Minnaar have all won there in the past, and Gwin is on fire. Stevie seems to be on a tear too.

Weather will be a huge factor, and we don't know much about course changes.

On the womyns' side, we don't know how any of them are doing given that there hasn't been a recent race where they've been able to show their stuff... (that I've seen anyways). Hard to bet against Rach though. Maybe Emmeline?

I bought a new computer so that I could watch this live on Freecaster and hook it up to my TV... I'm looking forward to it!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Isn't it this weekend? Weird nothing has really been online yet about it. Looking forward to the race, not looking forward to getting up at 5am again to watch another one heh.

Gwin for the Win! GFTW.

USA USA USA

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I think it'll be checkers or wreckers for Hill; he's the James Stewart of mountainbiking. If he wrecks a lot of different guys could take the win this year.

Is Kitner doing WC's this year? She seems to be riding well and I doubt bad weather would slow her don much since she's been living in the PNW.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I think it'll be checkers or wreckers for Hill; he's the James Stewart of mountainbiking. If he wrecks a lot of different guys could take the win this year.

Lol, James Who? Havent you heard about his retirement?If Hill is anywhere close to what Bubba is, it means he didnt have enough time to prepare during the off season and wont be racing WC this year.:thumb:

I want either Minaar, Smith or Gwin on the top step of that podium, and Miranda Miller is going to kill it in the ladies..

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Lol, James Who? Havent you heard about his retirement?If Hill is anywhere close to what Bubba is, it means he didnt have enough time to prepare during the off season and wont be racing WC this year.:thumb:
I think Bubba will come back swinging next year just like Hill did at MSA for worlds.

I compared the two because when Hill is on it he smokes everyone just like Bubba; but when they aren't on it they grenade. They both also take the craziest lines on the track that others don't even see.

Last year at Ft Bill the rocks that Hill was gapping was crazy. The speed that he hit that drop in Andorra narrowly missing that rock and eating a snow cone.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Damn I really hope the weather is better, it was horrific up there 2 weeks ago with that wind, leaning into the wind on the boardwalk and getting blown off line all the way down the hill is no fun!

The new drop out of the woods can only really be described as a bit weird, I can see people landing in the berm at the bottom to be honest.

Jun 1, 2011
Denver
To make up for for totally ruining my fantasy team at the first round Needles and Brendan are going 1, 2 this weekend. Brendan on top, simply because I really want to see him win a world cup.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I compared the two because when Hill is on it he smokes everyone just like Bubba; but when they aren't on it they grenade. They both also take the craziest lines on the track that others don't even see.
Might want to fact check that a bit. Hill doesn't hit the deck nearly as often as you make it seem, and has crashed himself on to the podium more than a few times.

Now Hannah on the other hand . . .

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I'm up there at the moment, did a track walk yesterday and got some photos, they are up on my teams blog Give it a check out, I'll have updates throughout the weekend and a video after practice.

The track was very nice yesterday, apparently it has had a lot of rain, but aside from section before the new drop you wouldn't really know it. Everything is mint on it at the moment. The weather is crap today, but meant to be getting better from tomorrow onwards.
Is it just me or does your numberplate say Fort Hate? :D

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
People are just rolling into the pits now. It has been monsooning all night and day. SO wet. Supposed to clear up tomorrow tho?
Fraser, best forecasting site for that area is here: http://www.mwis.org.uk/

Not going to be a pleasant start......

Westerly in the range 30-40mph gusts 45-60mph in morning, and 15-25mph, gusts 25-40mph by early evening.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Might want to fact check that a bit. Hill doesn't hit the deck nearly as often as you make it seem, and has crashed himself on to the podium more than a few times.

Now Hannah on the other hand . . .
Bubba gets a few more chances to hit the deck in an SX season (~17 races) versus Hill in a WC season (~6 races) though. They both crash hard and they both win can win races by huge margins when they're on it.

I agree with you on Hannah he seems to kill it in qualifying and grenade in the finals.

Fairclough is another guy that needs to put a run together.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
My money says Gee wins. My heart is hoping for someone new to break through. Bryceland or Hart.

For the ladies, I'd like to see Rach win. No idea why she missed S.A. though, is she healthy enough. Would really like to see Kintner on the podium. Maybe too early for that though. She'll probably get lots of tear-off practice though.

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
My money says Gee wins. My heart is hoping for someone new to break through. Bryceland or Hart.

For the ladies, I'd like to see Rach win. No idea why she missed S.A. though, is she healthy enough. Would really like to see Kintner on the podium. Maybe too early for that though. She'll probably get lots of tear-off practice though.
Jill's from Seattle, I don't think the rain will bother her, :thumb:

I hope Gwin can keep it up. He's killed it at the ProGRT's along with the US Open. If he can take that confidence combined with winning SA, he will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

-KT

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
To make up for for totally ruining my fantasy team at the first round Needles and Brendan are going 1, 2 this weekend. Brendan on top, simply because I really want to see him win a world cup.
Yeah, Brendan isn't gonna quite be up to speed, unfortunately:

brendan-fairclough#/blog 2011.06.01 said:
So he's riding w/o an ACL? say what?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Athletes do it all the time. The brace will make up for some of the lack of stability. He'll get it fixed after the season, it's a long recovery process.
Yeah, its normal. Though it is adviced not to go overboard with using the non acl-ed leg ;)