Quantcast

WCU biking video

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
H20bomberman said:
Hear is a video that is some footage of urban around WCU campus and of the atv park near by.

http://media.putfile.com/Cullowhee-Part-One
hey brother. I went to Western. Have you ever ridden the "Goat Trail" across the road from campus that is out past the local school? My buddy Mike Mooney built it. Tech and fun. It's on the road that crosses the back of the mountain.

Anyway...don't you guys know how to shuttle Wayehuta from the Parkway. It's an all day event. You guys didn't even hit any of the big jumps up top. You know, take Trail #2 to the very top, then right on #3, then left out to #9 and then the 2+ mile jump trail all the way out to below the parking lot! Please tell me you've done that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
OK...dammit. I've got the bug. Who's up for doing a big, bad burly ride at Wayehuta? It's an all day event. The place is water bar after water bar after water bar. From the top of #2, it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the bottom...and oh, the berms are THE BEST!!! You're in the air on that trail system more than on the ground.

H20bomberman

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Asheville (Fairview), NC
I didnt know that you could shuttle it. It would be awesome to be able to shuttle it. We were trying to get to the top for the jumps but we were trying to get back to campus to hit some urban. I am up for ride at Wayehuta. One of the best rides around cullowhee.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
H20bomberman said:
I didnt know that you could shuttle it. It would be awesome to be able to shuttle it. We were trying to get to the top for the jumps but we were trying to get back to campus to hit some urban. I am up for ride at Wayehuta. One of the best rides around cullowhee.
there are two shuttles, technically 3...
one leads onto it just before you get to the Parkway on a paved road on the right going up Highway 19..really short and fire road(you can climb to the top of this one (Trail 13) if you take the first paved road on the right on Old Cullowhee Highway just past Pizza Hut heading away from campus(lots of professors live on this road and it turns to gravel after a mile or two)..and is way less trafficed.

The second way..probably the way you should go if on campus...is to drive to the very end of Moses Creek. At the end of the dirt road, it just dead ends into a big giant pile of dirt. Behind the pile is the top of trail #2. You want to push up the straight up hill to your left to the peak. Once at the top of that, just start DROPPING!! and staying to the left. If you have the trail map, there is only one place you have to climb back up (you turn left onto #9) to get to the trail (I think #3) that comes out at the creek 1/8 mile below the parking lot. That is the ****! If you can go from the top of #9 to the bottom of #3 without stopping...you're a big dawg.

The 3rd is to drop in from all the way near Balsam Mtn on the parkway. There is a little bank to your right that has a tiny foot path that stays overgrown. Just past this path about a 1/4 mile up is a paved parking area that you park at and ride the paved road back down. It crosses a hump, usually really weedy, then starts to open up. Then you bust out into the Forest service blown out old off road trails and kind of stay right until you just pop out in Wayehuta. It takes a good 30 minutes to get to Wayehuta...maybe longer. That top part is burly and fun as hell. If you hit a gravel fire road, you've gone too far left and landed on Moses Creek. You'll have to turn right and do a 6 mile climb up the dirt road to get to the trail. We've done that one before and the dirt road will wear you down if you don't have a granny ring. We did the dirt road on 40 tooth DH bikes..me, Herndon, Fred Schuldt and few others. On a triple ring it wouldn't be too bad.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
if you go to shuttle Moses Creek, let me know. I'd love to drive over and do it. Heck, the ideal would be to do it the day after the Icycle at Fontana since everyone would be coming back through Sylva on their way home. I had thought of talking to the ATV club about having a mass start DH there one weekend.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
whoa, i'm totally in that vid. I was the faster guy in red. Actually the only other guy in red was just the clip after you see me jump that little creek off the rock. we didn't really pick prime spots for the vids... the guy that was shooting was like "this looks cool, hike up a little and come back down so i can get a vid."

and i'm still mad at that drop for kicking my back wheel up so far (weird, sharp edge to the lip) and giving me a flat.... and hurting my knee. ugh...

It would be so awesome to shuttle that one day. although i don't think that my crew would be up for the day after fontana. They'll probably be a little hung over, and we need to get home asap sunday.... my parents are bitchy, and reluctant to let me go to the race to begin with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
H20bomberman said:
I love the trails out there. Right now is a good time to ride one it since it is closed to motorized vehicles.
closed to motorized vehicles? You mean cars and trucks right. Not ATV and motorcycles. It's still an active ATV and moto park right?

I had heard some rumors about the Forest Service starting to change their minds about it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
H20bomberman said:
Its closed during the winter months to the ATV and motocycles for erosion problems. The only problem is the hunters on saturday.
oh yeah...I remember now. I've climbed up from campus before on the paved road and when I got to the dirt road, I had to get off and walk in sections that were iced over. Trails were always dry though...

One time, I had to jerk out my seatpost and wield it as a weapon when this bastard ran me off the dirt road and I flipped him off. He came back and tried to hit me with his truck.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I've got my new DH bike, but I'm on baby watch. Our daughter is due any day now so I can't travel too far away.

Hey, H2O...can you scope out Moses Creek and see if it's accessible still? Like I said...all the way to the end of the dirt road (around 6 miles of dirt) and you run into a dead end and access the loop there. You'll know you're there if you can see the trail going damn near straight up if you go in and turn left.