Quantcast

WD-40 Chain Lube Argu . . . er, I mean Debate

Old_Dude

Monkey
I had a "heated" discussion with a friend of mine - a recumbent rider - the other day & he insisted there was NOTHING better for cleaning & lubing his chain than WD-40.

I mentioned over and again how "expert" sources indicate bicycle specific lubes are better, but I didn't have any "proof". I thought WD-40 would certainly lube his chain but also leave a lot of sticky residue which would attract dirt. (we are mostly road riders, if that matters)

Is there some evidence I can get to prove this guy is wrong.

Or is he somehow right?

Thanks,

OD

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
WD-40 isn't a lubricant, it's a solvent, essentially. It has a TINY bit of VERY light lube in it but nothing that would do anything for actual lubrication.

My suggestion is to drop it, it's not worth fighting, the dude is an idiot and eventually it'll dawn on him why his chains last 1/4 as long as everyone else's.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Old_Dude
Why do I always seem to be a magnet for ignorant, arrogant bike people?

Genetics?

:confused:
Georgia :monkey:

Anyhow I use Boeshield T9 to clean and lube my chains after every ride. Environmentally unsound but cheap, quick and easy - for 5 bikes a can lasts about 6 months.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Old_Dude
Why do I always seem to be a magnet for ignorant, arrogant bike people?

Genetics?

:confused:
So you are friends with biker fox!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
WD-40 was designed to keep water from condensing on ship-board nuclear missles. WD=Water Displacement. It just happens to work well as a solvent. Like already mentioned, once it dries, its done. I think it might have Keroseen in it, but not sure.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Of course, they deleted my reply which indicated they're dealing with a degreaser and blah, blah, blah . . .

I can understand not knowing about something and trying to learn more accurate information, but shooting down the truth unveils an ugly situation . . .

morons!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Recumbents are the sum of the mesquito of the bike food chain. They're just barely below tri-geeks.

If you have a recumbent, be sure not to admit it. It's like admitting you went to a REO concert.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I use it to only clean my chain, then I use pro-link.
:confused: why, prolink does a pretty good job by itself w/ cleaning up a chain there's really no need to do that......but whatever :D

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I once lubed my chain with WD-40 and two kittens who were watching me DIED instantly. Coincidence? I say no.

My friend Serial Midget saw WD-40 in my truck one time and beat me nearly to death because my bike was also in my truck and he knew what might happen if some touched my chain. He kept yelling, "Haven't enough kittens died?"

I now only use PB Blaster to lube my chain.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by ummbikes
I once lubed my chain with WD-40 and two kittens who were watching me DIED instantly. Coincidence? I say no.

My friend Serial Midget saw WD-40 in my truck one time and beat me nearly to death because my bike was also in my truck and he knew what might happen if some touched my chain. He kept yelling, "Haven't enough kittens died?"

I now only use PB Blaster to lube my chain.
True story?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Over your lifetime the number of chains you would save by not using wd40 proberly wouldn't be worth thinking about.

I can't see the advantages of wd40 over a big bottle of cheap oil. Also a spray has disadvantages against liquid.

If you ride in good conditions, like the motorbike(could be a nice weather rider) and the recumbent proberly does the wd40 is proberly disolving the original lube and moving it around. Then when the wd40 evaporates it could make the chain feel like it had been lubed.

Also single speed town type bikes with good chainlines and covered chains go for years and years with no oiling or cleaning.