We are now home owners...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is what 240k buys you in the hudson valley NY

Some of my backyard

our first garden.... :)

Here is a pic of the basement we demo'ed.
There was a full apartment down here, now we're turning it into a kids room, a tv room and an office.

We have a lot of work on our hands now. First thing is painting the pink chimney. :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Good work Storsh. That actually does look a little like my house. I dig the pink chimney and all the land. 9 acres you say? Post pics of the creeks.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
**** man I just bought a house for around that same price and it definitely doesnt have that much land!

But then again, it is waterfront on a reservoir AND I bought in Taxachusettes ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think hucking the deck is in order. :D

Congrats. Having 9 acres would be awesome.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Good work Storsh. That actually does look a little like my house. I dig the pink chimney and all the land. 9 acres you say? Post pics of the creeks.
I was going to walk down to the creek this morning when I took the pics but I didn't have the time. I'll get some for you over the weekend.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Nice Stosh, good price. I just closed on my house yesterday. Hasn't quite set in yet. doesn't help that it's in SLC and I'm still in VT. Moving West in 2 weeks!!!!

Keep riding Stosh, I have a few friends who have entered home ownership and almost stopped riding all together.. Enjoy!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nice Stosh, good price. I just closed on my house yesterday. Hasn't quite set in yet. doesn't help that it's in SLC and I'm still in VT. Moving West in 2 weeks!!!!

Keep riding Stosh, I have a few friends who have entered home ownership and almost stopped riding all together.. Enjoy!
Congrats! SLC?

I also have a 1 yr old and I'm in night school so I haven't been riding at all lately.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
congratulations Stosh!
That is a nice looking property ... and DIRT cheap from my perspective.
We've been renting it for 2 years while the owners subdivided off 10 acres. We had it appraised back in Oct for 295k it was just appraised by the bank for 265k.

Also the program we qualified for changed the credit score limit a few days after we locked in. The market continues to change, I can't imagine there is going to be an end within the next year.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
We've been renting it for 2 years while the owners subdivided off 10 acres. We had it appraised back in Oct for 295k it was just appraised by the bank for 265k.

Also the program we qualified for changed the credit score limit a few days after we locked in. The market continues to change, I can't imagine there is going to be an end within the next year.
Actually while I hate seeing people getting screwed by their mortgages, I hope that it doesn't end for another year. My wife and I will be actively looking for a house by this time next year. Hope to be in a home finally before Christmas next year.

I just wish we could get the amount of land that you did for that price. We've always considered buying in upstate NY (My wifes folks are from the Syracuse area) but my job is here in Boston so...

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Congrats! SLC?

I also have a 1 yr old and I'm in night school so I haven't been riding at all lately.
Yup, GF got into grad school at the University of Utah so were heading west for a few years. Tough to leave but a change of scenery will be nice + Moab is a few hours South if the snows bad.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
People don't get screwed by mortgages... they get screwed by themselves...
A lot of them, yes. They definitely took on more than they could afford and didn't do the research, but by the same token many people didn't understand what they were getting in to, so I can't agree that it's quite that simple.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
A lot of them, yes. They definitely took on more than they could afford and didn't do the research, but by the same token many people didn't understand what they were getting in to, so I can't agree that it's quite that simple.
So they borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars and didn't know what it was all about?

Sounds like a bad idea to me. :nopity:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Bloomin' 'eck you lot don't know how lucky you are sometimes! :shocked: That's a real nice house by the looks of it!

Me and the g/f just bought our first house over here for basically $240,000 - lets just say that we didn't get quite the same deal! I'll see if i can find photos to show you what the same $$ buys on this side of the pond.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You said homo.

That place is not wee, nor not so wee. It's FRIGGIN HUGE!

Congrats. Where will you keep your wok?

I don't even know what the means....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:shocked:

Where exactly in the Hudson Valley are you?? I had thought Orange County, but that's more like upper bumble-f*** pricing... regardless, awesome score!
Well IMO the Lower Hudson Valley is from like Rockland County up to Kingston. My mailing address is Sullivan County but part of my property is in Orange County.

Geographically speaking you're not out of NYC commuting metro area till you cross the Shawangunk Mountains which my house sits at the base of.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We've got 11.75 acres and I think is garden is the same size as mine ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!
I haven't had a garden in like 15yrs.

This was my first shot, when I built it I was like "This thing is HUGE!!" then I planted about 3 plants and I was like "Why the F' did I build this thing so small?"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, I really can't disagree with you. Somehow people think they can afford a $500k loan while making 75K a year. Silly.
When we originally went in our loan was at $3k/month. We walked out and said there is no way we can afford that. We talked the owner down 40k and cleaned up our credit just a touch to get into a better program. Our interest rate is at 6 3/8 FIXED so we're pretty happy about that. Part of our decision was the advice our lender telling us he thought we probably couldn't afford it. We managed to drop our monthly payment almost $1k.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
When we originally went in our loan was at $3k/month. We walked out and said there is no way we can afford that. We talked the owner down 40k and cleaned up our credit just a touch to get into a better program. Our interest rate is at 6 3/8 FIXED so we're pretty happy about that.
FIXED being the operative word there. Good for you!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Nice house! I would try to convince the wife that dirt jumps, or a minimoto track, would look great around the house :p