Quantcast

WE got any watermen here?

May 25, 2006
Surfers, bodyboarders, skimboarders, windsurfers, kiteboarders etc?

I'm heading off to go skimming at Seal Beach right now, so I thought I'd ask if any of you mix it up?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
bodyboarder = waterman..... thats a good one... :rofl: :rofl:

in another life (most of my 20's) i travelled around the world surfing and working... more surfing than anything :)... home (australia), indo (bali, lombok, northern sumatera, nias and other western islands), portugal, ireland, japan... good times for sure..

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
<--board head, (skim, skate, snow, wake, sail)
in fact i was just down in rodanthe, nc today and it was HOWLING!!!! solid 22-24 knots with gusts in the upper 20's and low 30's. today was the first time i sailed my new rig, a seatrend 2.75mtr, 105 ltr with a hifly RAF 5.5m^2 sail. unfortunately ive not sailed in wind like that in a long time and i actually had to call it quits while it was stilll blowing. i had to dirve 150 miles one way to get there and it was worth every mile. i was going from waterstarts to full on plane in seconds...it was EPIC!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
ridetoofast said:
<--board head, (skim, skate, snow, wake, sail)
in fact i was just down in rodanthe, nc today and it was HOWLING!!!! solid 22-24 knots with gusts in the upper 20's and low 30's. today was the first time i sailed my new rig, a seatrend 2.75mtr, 105 ltr with a hifly RAF 5.5m^2 sail. unfortunately ive not sailed in wind like that in a long time and i actually had to call it quits while it was stilll blowing. i had to dirve 150 miles one way to get there and it was worth every mile. i was going from waterstarts to full on plane in seconds...it was EPIC!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
that is sweet, I am heading to Rodanthe Aug. 6th, we stay on North Holiday. A few years ago I bought a piece of land as an investment down in Salvo ocean side of rt. 12!

I cant wait to get to the shore again. It will have to wait till after Monkeyfest though! (I can hardly wait for that)

so I guess before I derail any further,

I am a landlocked surfer wannabe! I try hard for the 2-3 weeks I get to surf a year. It sucks to be a teacher and watch the surf reports as the waves start to really kick in just as I am starting to teach in the fall! I have to say we have had SAWeet luck a few years we have been there, when the hurricanes have been offshore pushing head high to double overhead sets at the beach! it is a killer feeling to have to paddle to get outside of a set that comes in double overhead when you have been set up to catch all the head high waves you want.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
small world huh? i was sailing off corbina drive, right next to the midget reality sign. one of the local sailors is a radiologist so he has a second home on the sound side down there. its a pretty sweet deal as he has a standing offer to any windsurfers from the area to come down and sail whenever he is there (and sometimes even when he isnt if you know him well enough) we have a grassy rigging area, showers with HOT water which is god send in the colder months, and of course the shallow water of the sound. today is was like groomed ski runs. the water was so flat and the wind was so strong. christ i havent had that much fun in i dont know how long. for the non sailing :monkey:s, if you ever get a chance to try it, i HIGHLY recommend it. the sensation you get when you learn to go fast is as good or BETTER than any dh run ive ever been on, and the water is a little softer, but not much with speeds like i was hitting today.

how long you gonna be down there for? bring your bike if you can and ill show ya some good trails up my way on your way home if you'd like. have a selection of both xc and a couple of dj spots too...

May 25, 2006
partsbara said:
bodyboarder = waterman..... thats a good one... :rofl: :rofl:

in another life (most of my 20's) i travelled around the world surfing and working... more surfing than anything :)... home (australia), indo (bali, lombok, northern sumatera, nias and other western islands), portugal, ireland, japan... good times for sure..
Tell that to this guy:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i can t see anything, but lemme guess... it s a photo of a guy riding an esky lid at somewhere like 'the box' in S/W oz...

real surfers stand up...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I guess I count as a waterman?
I surf, bodyboard, kayak, do Surf rescue, Surf rescue IRB driver (boat designed for driving in the surf break). :)

Ooh and I can doggy paddle pretty good too! :rofl:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DaveW said:
I guess I count as a waterman?
I surf, bodyboard, kayak, do Surf rescue, Surf rescue IRB driver (boat designed for driving in the surf break). :)

Ooh and I can doggy paddle pretty good too! :rofl:
And you are the golden shower master.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DaveW said:
I always make sure I flush the toilet when flying over Aussie. ;) :rofl:

Edit alas I cannot return the rep (yet) :(
Is it true the birds fly upside down over Kiwiland? Not worth crapping on.:rofl: :rofl: ;)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
ridetoofast said:
small world huh? i was sailing off corbina drive, right next to the midget reality sign. one of the local sailors is a radiologist so he has a second home on the sound side down there. its a pretty sweet deal as he has a standing offer to any windsurfers from the area to come down and sail whenever he is there (and sometimes even when he isnt if you know him well enough) we have a grassy rigging area, showers with HOT water which is god send in the colder months, and of course the shallow water of the sound. today is was like groomed ski runs. the water was so flat and the wind was so strong. christ i havent had that much fun in i dont know how long. for the non sailing :monkey:s, if you ever get a chance to try it, i HIGHLY recommend it. the sensation you get when you learn to go fast is as good or BETTER than any dh run ive ever been on, and the water is a little softer, but not much with speeds like i was hitting today.

how long you gonna be down there for? bring your bike if you can and ill show ya some good trails up my way on your way home if you'd like. have a selection of both xc and a couple of dj spots too...
Yep it is a small world, Last year I met a guy that was teaching kiteboarding at the "REAL" shop and he was trying to get me over there to ride. Here I find out he went to CMU about 10-15 minutes from my house depending on trafic. The area is great but it is starting to get pretty populated with all the upsidedown McMansions!

I will be there for a week. It is my families yearly beach thing! I would love to take you up on the riding, but I will have my wife and 2yo with me, It may not work during that week! but I may just have a reason to pack up all my riding and surfing gear for the future!:thumb:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
undertheradar said:
Surfers, bodyboarders, skimboarders, windsurfers, kiteboarders etc?
Hahahahaha! Here in MD, if you say you are a waterman, you are saying something altogether different. Our Eastern Shore indigenous commercial fishermen- watermen- even speak their own dialect, hon.

May 25, 2006
llkoolkeg said:
Hahahahaha! Here in MD, if you say you are a waterman, you are saying something altogether different. Our Eastern Shore indigenous commercial fishermen- watermen- even speak their own dialect, hon.

Hmmm, well, I grew up in Hawaii, and over there it simply means that you are fully capable in the ocean. :)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
llkoolkeg said:
Yeah and waterman is pronounced something like woodermin.

(Now that I moved, I can actually spit in the bay from my back door.)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
And you are the golden shower master.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ;)
reminds me of a funny story...

about 5 years or so ago my folks got themselves connected to the internet... so my father, who likes sports of all kinds, decides to look around on the web for pictures etc... he does a search for cricket and football etc and finds some cool stuff... then he types 'watersports' into the search engine...

needless to say he saw some photos of 'acts' that didn t really fall under the heading of sports... :rofl: :rofl:

awesome

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I surf whenever I can. Typical of my luck, I got an awesome deal on a Channel Islands board that was perfect for me and have surfed a total of about 3 times since then. (mostly due to MTB induced injuries). I was also a certified surf lifeguard for a while. I can handle myself reasonably well in the water.

I have a love for surfing that borders on spiritual. Mountain biking is a sport. Surfing is a religion. (Then again, the commitment, then moment of free-fall off of a good sized huck before sticking the landing comes close.)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jdschall said:
Now that I moved, I can actually spit in the bay from my back door.
You should not be spitting in the Bay...you should be casting a line into it. If I lived there, I would be late for work every day chasing the morning bite. I have yet to get a striper or a blue so far this year.