Quantcast

We might get a Velodrome!!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
There is a proposal in to build a velodrome just a couple of blocks from my house!! Its going to be indoor and they are trying to get the 2009 national championships....hopefully the city accepts the proposal. I've never raced track, but I'm excited to try it! Anyone on here ever race track??

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, I've been following some of that. I've never track raced either, but it always interested me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think I am going to try and push the local MTB club to put in a flat dirt track in a field at one of the county parks. It would be really easy to build. Anyone who was at the North East Monkey Gathering at the Kingdom trails this year knows how much fun that can be. Drifting through corners moto style. I think pursuit races like that would be a blast, cardio and skill required.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think I am going to try and push the local MTB club to put in a flat dirt track in a field at one of the county parks. It would be really easy to build. Anyone who was at the North East Monkey Gathering at the Kingdom trails this year knows how much fun that can be. Drifting through corners moto style. I think pursuit races like that would be a blast, cardio and skill required.

If you had longer straight sections that could be a bunch of fun. I think I would prefer a small berm in the corners though

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you had longer straight sections that could be a bunch of fun. I think I would prefer a small berm in the corners though
That was just a small oval of dirt in a playground next to the cabin we were renting. I have no idea what it was intended for. It was small but there was just enough of a straight to sprint up to speed where you couldn't hold the corner without perfect form. Since it would really take no more than a lawnmower to build I'd like to have a few different length tracks. A longer multi lane track with nice berms would be cool but it would be more of just a cardio challenge. Around here that would be of interest only to a small audience.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yah, I've been following some of that. I've never track raced either, but it always interested me.
What deterred me, was commuting to Portland after work to race. That and the fact that Alpenrose is concrete(ouch) instead of wood

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
What deterred me, was commuting to Portland after work to race. That and the fact that Alpenrose is concrete(ouch) instead of wood
When I lived in San Diego I kept looking to take a class at their velodrome but it always conflicted with something.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
When I lived in San Diego I kept looking to take a class at their velodrome but it always conflicted with something.
I talked to the guy writing the proposal and apparently its "portable", so they would put it in during the fall and winter when one of the buildings isn't being used. He said they may pull it out for the state fair and have a competition (assuming we get it). Sounds cool, would be nice to be permanent but I'll take what we can get

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
That and the fact that Alpenrose is concrete(ouch) instead of wood
:twitch:

"Track racing is aggressive and crashes are common, but rarely serious. One of the worst in recent Australian racing was Craig Milton's now legendary spill in Launceston in 1985. Milton went down when a tyre blew out on him, and as he landed his pedal dug up a splinter of the then-new track surface. A 33cm long, 1cm wide spike entered his torso just under the armpit, puncturing his lung and stopping 1cm from his heart. The spike had to be broken off the track surface so Milton could be removed and he spent 8 hours under the knife as surgeons pulled bits of wood out of the wound. Milton got back on the bike a week later to win the Australian 10 mile and team pursuit championships. His effort in the team pursuit tore open the stitches and he finished the event with his blue NSW track squad strip dyed red, and had to immediately return to hospital. The spike is on display in his bike shop in Cronulla."

http://www.cyclingnews.net/track/?id=trackoverview00

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

"Track racing is aggressive and crashes are common, but rarely serious. One of the worst in recent Australian racing was Craig Milton's now legendary spill in Launceston in 1985. Milton went down when a tyre blew out on him, and as he landed his pedal dug up a splinter of the then-new track surface. A 33cm long, 1cm wide spike entered his torso just under the armpit, puncturing his lung and stopping 1cm from his heart. The spike had to be broken off the track surface so Milton could be removed and he spent 8 hours under the knife as surgeons pulled bits of wood out of the wound. Milton got back on the bike a week later to win the Australian 10 mile and team pursuit championships. His effort in the team pursuit tore open the stitches and he finished the event with his blue NSW track squad strip dyed red, and had to immediately return to hospital. The spike is on display in his bike shop in Cronulla."

Which proves my point:

Dudes that race track bikes in a velodrome are hard core.

Dudes that ride track bikes on the street need to be hung by their white belts.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I raced track for a few years. Made to Cat 3 when i realized it wasn't how I wanted to spend my time. Very unique mentality- lots of testosterone and behind the scenes drama/fights. Leghigh County Velodrome. I actually raced against Marty Nothstein when we were 18- he always had a lot of natural talent.

I do think it is the most dangerous of the cycling disciplines. In Japan, Keirin racing is huge betting. because of the on bike fighting, they had to make rules because the betting had too many wild cards due to punches, head bunts and crashes.

I also believe a track world champion crashed at an indoor event last year, hitting an indoor pole and actually died.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc

great post!!!

splat

Nam I am
Anyone who was at the North East Monkey Gathering at the Kingdom trails this year knows how much fun that can be. Drifting through corners moto style. I think pursuit races like that would be a blast, cardio and skill required.
and the fact who know how much beer was in us at the time !!!

and Doug not leaning hard enough and blew out of the turn and adam near hit me !

and lets not forget that other activity we had going over there
Monkey Launching!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I raced track for a few years. Made to Cat 3 when i realized it wasn't how I wanted to spend my time. Very unique mentality- lots of testosterone and behind the scenes drama/fights. Leghigh County Velodrome. I actually raced against Marty Nothstein when we were 18- he always had a lot of natural talent.

I do think it is the most dangerous of the cycling disciplines. In Japan, Keirin racing is huge betting. because of the on bike fighting, they had to make rules because the betting had too many wild cards due to punches, head bunts and crashes.

I also believe a track world champion crashed at an indoor event last year, hitting an indoor pole and actually died.
Yeah, I remember that incident when he died. Below is a link. I know a bunch of the guys that race track up here (I race other disciplines with them) and they are really cool. We have a pretty laid back racing scene though; even when I have a hard fought battle at a race we all still shake hands afterwards and give congratulations to the winner.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/nov06/nov26news2

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I've always wanted to race track. My dad used to back in Detroit. He actually has a warm up suit from the Madison Board Track team. It looks like a lot of fun and takes a lot of strength and skill. Too bad the closest track to my house is all the way in Colorado Springs.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Where's my rep, damnit?:rant:

:biggrin:
I think I gave you rep approval now, not to derail the thread, but what is this whole rep thing?? Rep, Credits...I'm so confused. I thought we just punch in text like we were the women talking on The View.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wow, sportsmanship at its best there in the second clip, Hey you beat me, let me yank your bar

I think the wanker was teammates with the dude that went down, and he thought the winner deliberately took him out. Looks like they overlapped wheels and when they hit the banking the guy in front leaned into the bank before the guy behind him.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
The first time you go high on the embankment, DON"T look down and second guess. Suck it up and pedal through.

Leave the going slow or trackstanding on the embankments till later. Although dropping back into the pace line after peeling from the front is fun as you power down the bank. It's kinda like dropping in on a skate park.

There's an outdoor 1/6 mile velodrome up the road from me, tried it a few times. They race and train on weeknights which prevents me from joining in too much, at least the missus doesn't have to put up with another bike in the house.

1/6th mile has to my eye a pretty steep bank because the corners need to be pretty tight I'd guess the radius of curve is about 25-30m and the straights are about 40m. To me who has never ridden any other velodrome the transition from straight to corner is pretty strong as you ride through it too.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
You are so freaking lucky if the city pulls through with it. Indoor track is addictive, and nothing will make you realize how poor your form is than racing match sprints with seasoned riders. Good luck!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You are so freaking lucky if the city pulls through with it. Indoor track is addictive, and nothing will make you realize how poor your form is than racing match sprints with seasoned riders. Good luck!
LOL...thanks. It looks like fun, and I'm hoping they pull it off. They have lofty goals of having it built soon. I guess they want the 2008 national championships, I originally thought it was the 2009

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I live 2 miles from the Lehigh Valley velodrome and it's concrete and also open to the public. funniest sh!t was when I decided I'd try to ride my Iron horse hardtail with 2.5s on it around the track! bled worse than any DH accident!
Watching the racing there in the summer is a great time. $6 for a night full of racing and watching some good wrecks. I call it pedaling NASCAR.