Quantcast

We need some more "torture" DH events

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
As I am sitting home sick today I've been watching my extreme moto enduro videos. I was thinking DH needs more competitions that are total torture for the racers, stuff like Erzberg, last man standing, romaniancs, etc. This stuff is great fun to watch. Something spectator friendly.

The rampage stuff and maybe champery come kinda close, but not close enough. We need some kind of race that only a small fraction of pros can really ride, one where they are just glad to be able to finish and are just in total misery the entire time. They need to stop making courses based on what the pro races find "fun" to ride, and just try and kill them. Thoughts?

Also, if you have examples, POST PICS!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Something like a super gnar megavalanche would be sweet.
Something like that, but through barely rideable terrain. I'm talking long sections of 45%+ grades, giant boulder fields, 40-50ft doulbles. Sections that half the pros have to get off and walk. Needs to be long, like 8000ft vert drop or something. Minimal pedaling though I think. Well maybe just give them a section purely to tire them out before the gnarly stuff.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
5-up head-to-head 'Downhill-Cross' is coming to Eastern Washington. The venue has been located. Details need to be worked out. More to come . . . .
Like the old Big Bear stuff? I watched some of that footage, kinda underwhelmed by it. I suppose it could be cool. But it would be VERY hard to do right. I mean almost no one can even do 4x right.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
^^ Got any links so that I can see what it was? Don't want to repeat mistakes; but tired of the same old game too.
Hmm, the only footage I've seen of it is in synopsis, the clay porter video. It just looks like it suffers from the same problems as 4x. It's Just a holeshot out of the gate, difficult to really pass, etc.

It's a cool idea, I just have no idea how you'd make it work and be interesting without making a brand new trail completely designed for this kinda race. Even then, I have no idea what that trail would look like!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bear rocked, theres still some good lines (legit of course :D) that run some beasty drops and straight down blown out chutes that you corner on or try to avoid going over 25' to the crap below. LOL we have a few good runs there and then the rock gap under the lift is not used and get you kicked off as its completely open and an illegal trail so we wouldnt want to run that! :-)thumb:)

But yeah Big Bear has some seriously nasty backwoods lines, I followed atomic adam in andhe made the left turn I came off a log drop into boulders and jagged rocks (12"+ rocks), made it but scared the skittles out of me! LOL
Theres some good and nasty stuff there!!!!

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i do like the idea of the garbonzo dh. 15-20min pinned dh. use the whole mountain top to bottom. better bang for your buck as a competitor. small mistakes don't have the same consequence, more emphasis on fitness & tactics (when to pin, when to conserve) etc. still knarley & fast enough to justify the big bike.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Something like that, but through barely rideable terrain. I'm talking long sections of 45%+ grades, giant boulder fields, 40-50ft doulbles.
If you are looking for a race this dangerous maybe you should insure and organize the event.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
multiple laps on garbonzo use the hard trails up top and joyride down lower or clown shoes, hahahahaha

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Something like that, but through barely rideable terrain. I'm talking long sections of 45%+ grades, giant boulder fields, 40-50ft doulbles. Sections that half the pros have to get off and walk. Needs to be long, like 8000ft vert drop or something. Minimal pedaling though I think. Well maybe just give them a section purely to tire them out before the gnarly stuff.
I think everything but the doubles. The air time would give them too much of a break in between tech sections...

One of my favorite clips..... check the head smash at 28 seconds

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1703727862679379286&ei=0UdZS_KSFoH0qwOW9P3wAw&q=mountain+bike+crashes+compilation&emb=1#

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
There is room to add another 2 minutes to the Champery track. The trail is already built and we would just have to move the start to the top of the hill. That would be pretty brutal on your body and brakes.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I think, race track entirely like top section of Alpe d'Huez MegaAvalanche would be cool ;) but as Pic Blanc seems to be too small, I'd move the event to i.e. Peru or Bolivia :)
We could legaly use coca leafs to avoid height sickness ;)

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Haha this is turning into a cool thread!

For sheer torture the No Fuss Fort William endurance event was pretty gnarly, pedal half way up on a fireroad for your first run then do as many runs as possible in 6 hours! That was fecking sore!! Extend the time and add night riding and your onto a winner I reckon!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I dunno how many pros would be psyched on doing a race like that. Seems they could easily injure themseleves and ruin the season.
Plenty of people do stuff like this in the moto world; Best trick comps at x-games, erzberg enduro, etc. Stuff more or less designed to injure/maim/kill them. Are DH pros less badass?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Haha this is turning into a cool thread!

For sheer torture the No Fuss Fort William endurance event was pretty gnarly, pedal half way up on a fireroad for your first run then do as many runs as possible in 6 hours! That was fecking sore!! Extend the time and add night riding and your onto a winner I reckon!
Maybe something like that would be sweet. Some kind of pro-endurance race. Perhaps do as many laps on some of those gnar gnar central california trails as possible in 12 hours. The shuttle road up is as much a test as anything you'll ride down.

Didn't they do some kinda endurance DH race at angelfire last year?

Maybe they could do something like that at Mammoth on chainsmoke or bullit. The elevation combined with the brutal terrain would be quite torturous.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Ingredients for a torture DH event

- 1 World Cup track(no canberra and Willingen) like Fort William,Champery or Val di sole
- 300 riders
- Worst weather conditions like heavy rain fall
- Worst track conditions
- For each lap they need to drink 1 shot of Whisky or other strong liquor

Let them ride for 24 hours

Last edited: