Quantcast

We need some more "torture" DH events

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I dunno man, you'd probably start to torture people with those doubles on willigen. At hour 18 people would DEFINITELY be messing those up and getting hurt.
/granddad mode on/

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss here, or are just a sadist. Either way, I think the chances of seeing such an event are fairly small.

/granddad mode off/

/13 year old boy mode on/

Why not have some flaming hoops along a rock garden filled with 'hospital sharps' and piranha filled tubs of acid beneath the 342ft doubles with razors on the lip?

that'd be GNAR!

/13 year old boy mode off/

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
/granddad mode on/

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss here, or are just a sadist. Either way, I think the chances of seeing such an event are fairly small.

/granddad mode off/

/13 year old boy mode on/

Why not have some flaming hoops along a rock garden filled with 'hospital sharps' and piranha filled tubs of acid beneath the 342ft doubles with razors on the lip?

that'd be GNAR!

/13 year old boy mode off/

I would rather see Sharks with Frikkin Lazers attached to there heads

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Like the old Big Bear stuff? I watched some of that footage, kinda underwhelmed by it. I suppose it could be cool. But it would be VERY hard to do right. I mean almost no one can even do 4x right.

I remember in the Mid-90s, there was a 2-at-a-time downhill race. It was somewhere out west, and was even televised (which is how I know about it). Was pretty fun to watch, but usually ended up watching just one guy.

Vaguely remember seeing some schwinn guys do well - chris o'driscall perhaps? Maybe it was Joe Lawill ... can't recall.

Stik?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
set up a couple more "gnar" lines at redbull rampage, a shuttle/ramp/lift/get bikes-people up to the top, and as many runs as they can in 12 hours?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't think they uci is pro BDSM so you'd have to make the torture events without them. After all they've banned the gimp...err skinsuits ;)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I think you would need at least 6 hours to make up for the break on the lift for this event to come anywhere close to Last Man Standing or Erzberg. At least 2 hours of that would need to be at night. 12 hours would be better.

Multiple lines for passing. Not neccessary wuss out lines.

And to if pros would show up, get the purse money and TV coverage that Last Man Standing had and they would come out of the woodwork.

Dan: go look for some video on the Romaniacs race for entertainment. It's like Erzberg for a week straight. http://www.redbullromaniacs.com/

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think you would need at least 6 hours to make up for the break on the lift for this event to come anywhere close to Last Man Standing or Erzberg. At least 2 hours of that would need to be at night. 12 hours would be better.

Multiple lines for passing. Not neccessary wuss out lines.

And to if pros would show up, get the purse money and TV coverage that Last Man Standing had and they would come out of the woodwork.

Dan: go look for some video on the Romaniacs race for entertainment. It's like Erzberg for a week straight. http://www.redbullromaniacs.com/
Ya, I've got both erzberg and romaniacs dvd's, those things are great. Glad to see someone else is on the same page :thumb:.

Ya, If northstar or diablo or whistler or maybe one of the other bigger east coast resorts could put on a 12 hour DH race (they do it for xc?) that starts are noon, that would be amazing. The bragging rights alone for winning would make people show up. You could do team competitions too I suppose. I'm not really framiliar with the endurance XC racing, but you could possibly structure it like that, or do it like the moto stuff. You'd probably have to spread it out over 2 or more trails though to keep **** for getting over ridden or crowded. Could be interesting!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd like to see a race from the top of big whiteface...all 3500 ft or whatever it is. Constant pounding from the top for 15 minutes or so.

Or, a 24hr DH race at plattekill. Lemans start down two trails, up one lift, down and then back up the other. Most complete laps wins. Two trails, varied terrain, one single lit trail at night. Team or singles...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'd like to see a race from the top of big whiteface...all 3500 ft or whatever it is. Constant pounding from the top for 15 minutes or so.
Eh, 15 minute tracks are nothing special. We need lap after lap after lap. Don't they already do a race from the top to the bottom? That 5k race?

edit:

Just checked, winning times for that 5k race are sub 8 minutes. That's nothing. I'm talking HOURS of saddle time.

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I don't think you would need two trails, anyway if the trail gets seriously beat it just adds to the torture :p

One of the best things about the Fort William endurance event was trying to pass people on the first few laps, despite the fact the climb at the start split people up the course was still fairly rammed for the fist 3 or so runs. It was sheer madness overtaking people corner after corner, I loved it!! Obviously the course was way clearer for the people who weren't so lazy on the way up....

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
ya all should really do the burner. It is exactly what you are all talking about......... the WC course at angle fire will beat you senseless after a few hours.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
something like highland or diablo could prob throw down a 12 hour downhill event. Team or solo it would be really awesome.
Highland would be absolutely terrible for that. Slow lift, six trails, and they would get so clapped out from 50+ riders that it would become unrideable...or rather, braking bumps until kingdom come.

Two trails is so that 300 riders aren't all crammed onto one lift....the trail isn't even the biggest concern, it's getting back up and not having to wait in a half hour long line.

And big whiteface adds 1000ft to the top of little whiteface...so figure 2700ft for 8 minutes, 3500ft for...???? Plus the terrain up there looks nutso.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Sandwich said:
;And big whiteface adds 1000ft to the top of little whiteface...so figure 2700ft for 8 minutes, 3500ft for...???? Plus the terrain up there looks nutso.
Whistler does an endurance race. The Garbanzo DH at crankworx is 14+ minutes for the top WC pros.

-KT

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Whistler does an endurance race. The Garbanzo DH at crankworx is 14+ minutes for the top WC pros.

-KT
Uhhh, 14 minutes is hardly an endurance race, no matter how gnarly it is. Endurance = several hours. It needs to be so long that people becoming dangerously tired less than halfway through it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Angel Fire does it, Big Bear used to do it, I think there are other resorts too that run a 12-ish hour race (most number of laps done in 12 hours).

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Something like a giant mega-avalanche only tighter, steeper and more brutal. Ad some hike-a-bike sections so steep that you have to drag the bike up behind you. Big mountains, top to bottom and maybe 3h to finish.