Quantcast

Weather stations

The external sensor on my LaCrosse Technologies S85814 weather station just reached end of life.

I have gone through a number of weather stations, finding that rain and wind measurement is of questionable reliability and lifetime, so recently I just look at temperature and humidity.

Thinking maybe a V11 Wireless Wi-Fi Weather Station from the same vendor.

Opinions?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have nothing to add here, but this thread is relevant to my interests. Been thinking about getting a weather station for awhile.
samesies. i have a basic indoor / outdoor temp RH setup from amazon that's been generally reliable, but I'd like to eventually get something more powerful.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have an older low/mid-range AcuRite that has always been surprisingly accurate. Nothing available now looks exactly like it, but this is probably the closest:

I've had it maybe 10-12 years now and still going strong, including the outside sensor that came with it. Would not hesitate to replace with a similar version when it craps out.

Edit - spotted behind a recent photo of my son eating a donut.
IMG_20230110_084918396_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My dad got one and I installed it. He loves it, don't know what model it is though. It's mounted to the fence in his backyard. The thing about wind though is unless it's relatively high and in an isolated spot (no trees or structures) or unless it's just really high, like tree-top level, you are kind of pissing into the...wind, anyways, as far as useful wind and direction information.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are a few commercial weather stations within a mile of my house. Any positional variability will be less than the inaccuracy of any consumer grade sensors I would buy so I just use the data from my favorite weather map. Not to mention the weather her can be drastically different within a 10 mile radius if I actually plan on leaving my compound.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

I bought this rain gauge for my dad for Christmas a couple years ago. He still talks about how much he loves it. It's really good where we live, in a desert that gets 9" of moisture all year. If we lived in a wet place it would over-fill pretty easy though. For us, where we get lots of 1/4" or 1/2" rain events, it works magic.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are a few commercial weather stations within a mile of my house. Any positional variability will be less than the inaccuracy of any consumer grade sensors I would buy so I just use the data from my favorite weather map. Not to mention the weather her can be drastically different within a 10 mile radius if I actually plan on leaving my compound.
It's kind of an "ain't got time for that" thing. It's on the wall for everyone to see before they step outside, probably the temp is 95% of it and the baro the other 5%. NWS vets stations using a lot of important criteria to ensure they are representative of what they are attempting to measure. These days, 10 day forecasts are slightly better than hoping for a Led Zeppelin reunion (just statistically significant enough to be useful), 7 day are decent, 5 day are usually pretty decent bets.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's kind of an "ain't got time for that" thing. It's on the wall for everyone to see before they step outside, probably the temp is 95% of it and the baro the other 5%. NWS vets stations using a lot of important criteria to ensure they are representative of what they are attempting to measure. These days, 10 day forecasts are slightly better than hoping for a Led Zeppelin reunion (just statistically significant enough to be useful), 7 day are decent, 5 day are usually pretty decent bets.

Just less space for my fine art collection.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I use my bald head for now. It’s very accurate unless I’m wearing a hat. I do have a bunch of thermometers around the property and I notice quite a bit of variation. The one suction cupped on the side of the house always shows warmer in the winter, I assume the house gives off a bit of heat. Haven’t checked it in the summer much but I would assume the same happens in reverse.

Seeing this thread though, I’m thinking I need a journal and a rain gauge.

How does one measure snowfall? A ruler?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use my bald head for now. It’s very accurate unless I’m wearing a hat. I do have a bunch of thermometers around the property and I notice quite a bit of variation. The one suction cupped on the side of the house always shows warmer in the winter, I assume the house gives off a bit of heat. Haven’t checked it in the summer much but I would assume the same happens in reverse.

Seeing this thread though, I’m thinking I need a journal and a rain gauge.

How does one measure snowfall? A ruler?

Pretend it is that kind of party and the snow is actually mashed potatoes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i just use a app knowing it will be about as accurate as the weather man...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It's kind of an "ain't got time for that" thing. It's on the wall for everyone to see before they step outside
You don't have windows? I can generally tell what I should be wearing with a quick glance.

If it's sunny, shorts and flip-flops
If it's not sunny, shorts and flip-flops
If it's rainy, shorts, flip flops and a hat
If it's really really sunny and you can see mushroom clouds, shorts, flip-flops and an iodine pill

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I was working in SoCal every winter there would be a few days with cold wet weather. All the locals swore that never happened. And when it happened again the following winter they swore the same thing.
And then they said "if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes", because that's true for every place in the known universe.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You don't have windows? I can generally tell what I should be wearing with a quick glance.

If it's sunny, shorts and flip-flops
If it's not sunny, shorts and flip-flops
If it's rainy, shorts, flip flops and a hat
If it's really really sunny and you can see mushroom clouds, shorts, flip-flops and an iodine pill
charlotte area....shorts year round if you have lived any place where it has been really cold...

i'll wear shorts/sweatshirt down to about 20-30....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
socal only has two weathers
Our two weathers, if anything, make it harder to tell what to wear. Could be 110°, could be 5°, either way it's sunny skies. Never quite know, should I wear boardshorts comando, or is it more of an underwear and cargo shorts kind of day

Up there in snowland where you live, if shit's all white, there's a pretty good chance it's cold.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Maybe stick someone else's dick in it? Drop your local coroner a $100 for leads on any well endowed corpses. Assuming you don't already have a hookup.
Come to think of it there’s a store that sells them in all sorts of high visibility colors.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have always had a thing for weather girls on the news. I trust them unequivocally. No computer can replace Stacey. I also have a thing for girls named Stacey and Nicky. Channel 10 has it going on I tell you....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've had a few and I now have a Davis Something, they make some of it in the USA and you can replace parts individually and maybe even just PCB's, can't remember.
I felt really bad throwing out a whole weather station because one thing craps out and you can't replace it, so I bought one with proper parts backup.
I had been waiting years for Davis to release a more intuitive LCD display but they never did and my last one died so I don't have an option, the graph on the Davis is essentially useless and wastes a lot of screen space.

EDIT- I have this but mine was close to that price in Australian dollars-

Also, if you don't want to pay money you can just download the Davis app and look for people in the local area that bought the expensive internet add on for theirs, will give you all your local weather.

Last edited: