Quantcast

Web server from home

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Web server at home on your standard cable broadband connection. Anyone do it? How do you resolve the DNS/dynamic IP issues?

I knew a guy who was doing it but he had some funky set up that seemed very complicated.

Thoughts? Ideas? Alll are appreciated!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nah, don't bother.

Signup at www.dyndns.com for an address and download their automatically updating client. It registers you for an address (like ciaran.dyndns.com), and the client senses IP changes and updates it for you.

Very easy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What are you using for hosting software, by the way?

I've got IIS installed and it seems to work fine. I'm not sure how far I want to carry the "webserver" thing though.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
What are you using for hosting software, by the way?

I've got IIS installed and it seems to work fine. I'm not sure how far I want to carry the "webserver" thing though.
I'm just going to use IIS. I am getting rid of my current hosting service and am only keeping three domains. Two are important to me and will likely find a home at GoDaddy. The third, which is the one I want to run from home, is just for posting pix on here and such. Nothing serious, or heavy duty.

Kornphlake said:
Don't cable and telco ISP's have something in their terms of service prohibiting webhosting on a residential line?
Yes, and most also forbid routers too. They'll never catch me. And if they do, they'll never take me alive.

Hey, you moved from Alpine. Tierrasanta, eh? Movin on up? :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Most ISPs prohibit "servers" which is a pretty vague term, and I'm sure it's that way intentionally. I doubt they'll give anyone a hard time for running a small website.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks like my ISP blocks standard webhosting ports... might want to check on that. I can access my website from inside my network (of course), but any external request gets blocked.

You can host it on another port, of course.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
I'm just going to use IIS. I am getting rid of my current hosting service and am only keeping three domains. Two are important to me and will likely find a home at GoDaddy. The third, which is the one I want to run from home, is just for posting pix on here and such. Nothing serious, or heavy duty.

Yes, and most also forbid routers too. They'll never catch me. And if they do, they'll never take me alive.

Hey, you moved from Alpine. Tierrasanta, eh? Movin on up? :p
If you keep your usage low I doubt the ISP will ever notice you are running a server. I'm not sure about the router claim, I know my ISP will supply me one for about 200% of retail cost, one of those fancy wireless home networking things even. I could totally network my house and my best friend Fabio from India would tell me how to reboot my computer and clear my web browser so it would all work, thank goodness for free tech support. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if Tierrasanta is better than Alpine, I thought I could save a boat load of money in gas, but I'm spending that boat load on rent. At least there are a lot of eucalyptus trees to look at.