Quantcast

webcam questions :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I'd to start using this stuff. I know, years behind.

I'd like to be able to do video chats with long-distance family.

Also, I'd like to set-up security cameras around the house, outdoors*, garage, nightvision?. Maybe store the video, access it on the web, and such.

I don't want to spend a lot since it won't be the primary security system or the primary communication device with family... more like a serious toy.

Suggestions on what and where to buy? What features to get or avoid? Maybe a four-pack of cameras?

* If cams for outdoor use are expensive, I just won't bother with the outside.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Is the other end of the vid chat computer savvy? Skype (recommended) and AIM is free and effective. Any usb cam over $20 bucks will get the job done, but know that the more you spend, the better optics you get. I've had great success with Logitech cams so that is my brand rec.

As for monitoring your household, I've used the Axis brand wireless camera's before and the server was very easy to use and configure. If you get one of the more expensive models that tilt, pan and zoom (don't forget about night vision too), you can look all over your place via web interface. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience setting up 4 cams for a household. Check out the Axis site, it's a great starting point.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ah, I hadn't thought about a remote controlled tilt-pan-swivel cam.

Axis looks more expensive than I want to dish out since it'll primarily be a tech toy, but thanks for the link!

I'm hoping to find four cameras for under $200. Is that reasonable?