Quantcast

Wed DH Run

OB1

Monkey
We're headed up to Wayehutta on Wed(west of Asheville). Of course the weather could put a kibosh on that. But post up if you want in. Thanks for the intel choirboy.:D

Edit: For those who have riden it.....SX or Sunday?

Last edited:

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
well for future reference, since the WONDERFUL rain made it awful, it can be ridden on a hardtail. how much do you like living on the edge? if you like sketchy go w. the SX other than that you can blow through it with the sunday

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We're headed up to Wayehutta on Wed(west of Asheville). Of course the weather could put a kibosh on that. But post up if you want in. Thanks for the intel choirboy.:D

Edit: For those who have riden it.....SX or Sunday?
definitely the SX. ridiculously fun on a medium travel....2 wheel drifts FTW:weee:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
well, the hike up is when you can't shuttle it.
also, pedal/hiking back up is a blast if you want to check out some of the inner loops after a good shuttle down. Just turn right up the fire road and ride straight through the back of the parking lot on #455.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/tayloratv.pdf

Oh...and check out what I found for you. The map I traced showing the route inside the park.

When you come to the top of Moses Creek, you will be at the X. Follow the yellow. If you want to climb back up rather than shuttle, here's how to get back to all the interior loops:

bizutch said:
As you head up through the back of the parking lot on the first trail #455, about 1/2 to 3/4 mile in, the trail turns back left and uphill steeply(on the map it's just past the label #455) . There is a LARGE tree down at this point over the original trail. I highly recommend climbing over the tree and using this old trailbed to get to the intersection of #457 and #459, to continue left up and back onto #455.

If you stay left on 455 at the downed tree, you're in for the most brutal, steep climb with no descent that goes up to a peak and add a good 20 minutes to your ride!

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
I go to western and a have a few friends who ride so we can help with shuttles if need be. the actual parking lot is either closed or will be soon because of winter.

OB1

Monkey
In there like swimwear. OB1 can you drive this time. I get off work at 6:00 that morning and may need a little nap.
Yes and no.:D Big red is down for the count til Wed-Thurs. And Shawna needs her Realtor mobile. So if we can use your ride for this one, we'll use my truck for the next 2. Of course I'm always happy to be behind the wheel no matter what we're in.:thumb:

RastaRider

Chimp
Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yes and no.:D Big red is down for the count til Wed-Thurs. And Shawna needs her Realtor mobile. So if we can use your ride for this one, we'll use my truck for the next 2. Of course I'm always happy to be behind the wheel no matter what we're in.:thumb:
Cool. I can still only carry 2 bikes on the roof unless you've got extra trays.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I go to western and a have a few friends who ride so we can help with shuttles if need be. the actual parking lot is either closed or will be soon because of winter.
Gate is closed, but you wouldn't need the parking lot for anything. Plenty of space to park at the exit of the trail if you wanted but why would you. It's faster to just coast your bike to the bottom of the mountain than to bother driving cars up to pick up your bikes.:thumb: It's a pucker factor of 8 on the MTB. Road bike pucker factor-10.:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh, and if someone would get the Highlands Ranger district topos on here, I can show you how to drop in off the parkway from up near Black Balsam. That version is 26+ miles but requires a person interested in a little bit of scrambling old logging road to get to the goods of Wayehutta.
If you miss the ridge line for Wayhutta, you dump down to Moses Creek unknowingly and face a 6 mile gravel road pedal to get back to Wayehutta. I'll email a buddy.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Looks in the video like you guys didn't leave a car at the bottom of the pavement, but outside the gate. Am I seeing right?

Oh, and which aparments? Carolina Village? Speedwell?:nope: That would not be fun.

One shuttle we used to do that was simple was to go up on the Parkway and come down off it, down Moses Creek and then down the pavement and pedal Old Cullowhee Road back to campus. It was a good one to take sobering frat boys on borrowed hardtails on.:drool:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So only 1 shuttle run? Oh, and how come you guys didn't just ride the pavement down to frat alley? Too cold?

Talk to some people around campus or the owner of Motion Makers about the little Hobbit entrance up off Balsam that drops down into Wayehutta/Moses Creek. Worst case scenario if you miss the upper turn into Wayehutta, you have a 6 mile climb back up Moses Creek to get to Wayehutta. We always had a frat guy go with us b/c they had those poor saps "Pledges" to shuttle us to the top and drop us off.

OB1

Monkey
We set up at the end of the fireroad. Over the mounds, left, and kept going up til it goes down. That was run 2. An absolute blast! Uzzi had a tough day. First he leaves his keys at the top of the mountain, which has to make him feel chitty. Then his tire blows at the beginning of run 2. Bummer. I don't think this is a viable place for me to drive out to again. Every run is 2 hours round trip shuttle setup. Not to mention it's 6 hours round trip to get there from home. It can get ridiculous real quick. We ate at Annie's before the ride. That hot chocolate is tasty. But I defy you to drink the whole 3 ounces! Super thick and rich. I swear it was just a melted chocolate bar.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
one each. first ended up in the actual parking lot, the other ended at the bridge right before the lot
OK, so you managed to do the route I suggested on your second run. That's the one where it goes downhill forever and you get so tired of jumping. The 4 monster berms that you can hit like a luge, all that good stuff. That's the run I would do twice. After that, most people don't want anymore b/c you're whooped at that point. The one you hit the first run wound up being just a straight down pinner with both brakes close to the bottom right.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
That's too bad guys. I'm sorry you didn't have that big of a time. If I can get up on Balsam during the holidays and guinea pig the monster descent, I'll report back. I fully understand the epic drive not being worth it. If they ever banned ATV's in there, it would make a phenomenal shuttle park for DH. The main trail out the back of the parking lot is easily driveable to the top by any basic 4x4. If some 4 wheeler guy was smart, he could make money shuttling college kids in the spring on one of those 6 person ATV's. That would mean 4-5 blister fast shuttle runs in 1 spot.