Quantcast

<<= Wednesday gmt =>>

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
reassurances are the worst!
"don't worrry about what you've read in the media, this bankruptcy won't affect our team, blah blah blah."
stupid companies.
My company has been hemorrhaging money and market cap all year. The day I got a promotion they laid off 700 people, I couldn't even be happy about it. That said, ski season starts tomorrow and it's perfect biking weather in the foothills. If work were to suddenly be not-so-busy I think I'd manage ok for the Winter.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My company has been hemorrhaging money and market cap all year. The day I got a promotion they laid off 700 people, I couldn't even be happy about it. That said, ski season starts tomorrow and it's perfect biking weather in the foothills. If work were to suddenly be not-so-busy I think I'd manage ok for the Winter.
Lulz.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Getting laid off when my company folded unexpectedly was the best thing that happened to me in a long time. Gives you a new perspective on the rat race/matrix we live in. I wish I stayed out of the slavery for a few more weeks and rode more.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Drive shaft CV/u-joint?
I would start here. At the same speed, does the noise change when you lift the throttle?
It only happens in light load transitions from load to no load. It probably happens at speed, too, with the noise masked, but I notice it at residential speeds ~20 mph, such as when letting off the gas approaching a stop sign.

My bet is a loose body ///mount.
It is a body on frame vehicle, true, but the link with getting on/off the gas seems too coincidental to be non-drivetrain.

That, or the transmission.
Hmm. Either way I think it's time to put it up on jackstands, overnight parts from Japan, and occupy the garage call my preferred shop (Comprehensive Car Care--only Toyota, Honda, and Subaru for them) and book a time.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Toshi, one of our trucks had a similar problem which turned out to be the body mount. When the engine was initially loaded (ie pulling away from stop or accelerating from a coast) it caused a creak/knock under my feet.

The only other time it was evident was when I stuffed the front end in a ditch or up a steep driveway.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I love my job.

I meet some of the coolest old dudes when looking to buy crap on craigs list. There was this sweet bike near by and even though I am broke, I still like to look. He has an awesome house up in the hills with a big ass shop out back. He was laughing at me getting my car up his steep gravel driveway. He told me he had special ordered a Viper truck that ended up costing him $75k total. Then he couldn't get the bitch up his driveway pulling a trailer, all id did was spin the damn wheels. He traded it in for a dually diesel and lost $40k on trade. :rofl:

It's such a sick bike and even comes with a #coolstorybro Nikki Sixx ordered 5 bikes in '97 from Titan Motorcycles. Only paid for 2 of them and the other 3 got wholesaled. This one ended up at the old Titan dealership in Hillsboro and went unsold until they closed in '01 when some other old dude bought it for next to nothing ($35k original retail). He traded a '69 Camaro last month for the bike, 2 AR15's, and $5k in cash. He rode it once and it scared the sh!t out of him, so he's asking $7500, but $1k off for vets.

/coolstorybro

'97 Titan Roadrunner with upgraded 18" spoke front and rear, chrome swing arm, air ride suspension in the rear, and has less than 5k miles on an S&S 113" motor. It's a beast, so full of want...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It only happens in light load transitions from load to no load. It probably happens at speed, too, with the noise masked, but I notice it at residential speeds ~20 mph, such as when letting off the gas approaching a stop sign.
Still say CV/u-joint. The creaking you hear/feel can be any slop in the joint. You might only really notice it when it sees a torque applied to it (or taken off it), but not under a constant load (or lack thereof). It might not be bad enough yet to seem like an issue under a constant load.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Transmission or transfer case output bearing. It is a guess, but my best guess.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I feel ya. I have a pass here at our mountain that includes some free days on decent hills around too.
Been wondering if can barter some video work passes elsewhere. That is how I got my pass here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

It is a body on frame vehicle, true, but the link with getting on/off the gas seems too coincidental to be non-drivetrain.

Hmm. Either way I think it's time to put it up on jackstands, overnight parts from Japan, and occupy the garage call my preferred shop (Comprehensive Car Care--only Toyota, Honda, and Subaru for them) and book a time.
Try it presently.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
:wave:
Work is still busy! But I had to stop in and say hey! Today is supposed to be my last day with the current company. I'm nervous for tomorrow! But no big whoop, I own this place!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There was frost all over my windshield this morning. Had to bust out the scraper. It's high time to cram both cars back in the garage, methinks.

Speaking of cars, can you auto monkeys help diagnose this on my ///Land Cruiser? At residential neighborhood speeds when transitioning from coasting to light acceleration there's a small creaking type sound and feel. I can feel it in the floor a little bit, although it is subtle. The vehicle otherwise appears to be running fine, no CELs or hesitation or the like. It's just this weird sound/vibration, which is new over the past week or so.

I did have an (/a series of 3 incompetent, last two gratis) alignment(s) in the past month and got new front wheel bearings before the first... Could this be related?
Your flux capacitor needs to be replaced.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Night ride last night, first of the year.
Need to switch out the lens on my new gloworm head lamp (only light I run) to a wider pattern.
No shortage of comical moments.
I also did a really short night ride last night, was colder than I was dressed for. Good afternoon, monkeys. Ski season opens in Colorado tomorrow... all hail Ye Olde White Rybbon o' Death.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
///Land Cruiser
:rofl:
Firmly in the u-joint crowd. Maybe engine/transmission mounts?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hurts so fvcking much to swallow food and beverages. :stosh:
Was there last week. Hot/cold flashes plus zero energy and swollen/sore throat for days. Finally feeling better, it took 6 days to cycle through.

Raining here, first rain rain in months. Thing is we need 3 or 4 more days of this before the ground is moist enough to pack berms.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Server room?? Power outages?? Cloud, n00B!
We have a strict policy about using the "cloud". Although really we are such a large company that we have our own cumulonimbus thing going on here.

But even then, you still need onsite equipment. This one is our ESXi server which hosts ALL of my virtual machines. The USB key that the O/S is sitting on has died.

BALLS. Going to be here all night.

:banghead:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I'm so jelly of Colorado right now! I NEED TO SKIIIIIII :)

Wait--does anyone know the techno "I love to ski" song? I can't find it anywhere, but downloaded it from Napster in 2001 :brows:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We have a strict policy about using the "cloud". Although really we are such a large company that we have our own cumulonimbus thing going on here.

But even then, you still need onsite equipment. This one is our ESXi server which hosts ALL of my virtual machines. The USB key that the O/S is sitting on has died.

BALLS. Going to be here all night.

:banghead:
No. No on site equipment. Unless you are in the Datacenter business.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I switched insurance brokers a few months ago: old one was seemingly more interested in preserving his commission than altering the policies as I wished. New one was eager to accommodate my requests.

The old one has called a few times in the meantime, after finding out I was canceling my old policy and tonight yet again. After deciding I wasn't interested in buying more term life insurance he tried to sell me universal life insurance as an investment vehicle. Thankfully I have enough sense about me to say "no".

#doctorproblems <-- people want to sell me junk. I need a "no soliciting" sign for my cell phone #.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I switched insurance brokers a few months ago: old one was seemingly more interested in preserving his commission than altering the policies as I wished. New one was eager to accommodate my requests.

The old one has called a few times in the meantime, after finding out I was canceling my old policy and tonight yet again. After deciding I wasn't interested in buying more term life insurance he tried to sell me universal life insurance as an investment vehicle. Thankfully I have enough sense about me to say "no".

#doctorproblems <-- people want to sell me junk. I need a "no soliciting" sign for my cell phone #.
Life as an investment is such a crock of shit. Hell, most annuities are garbage. The idea of an insurance company being used as an investment tool is ludicrous. I can think of a few situations where an annuity really makes sense, but they are very, very rare.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Life as an investment is such a crock of shit. Hell, most annuities are garbage. The idea of an insurance company being used as an investment tool is ludicrous. I can think of a few situations where an annuity really makes sense, but they are very, very rare.
So true. ten years ago I was hired as an Agent by Northwestern Mutual (needed a job) within 3 months I had to quit. I had been in sales for 20 years and I couldn't even stoop so low as to try and sell folks on that complete scam of a product line.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No. No on site equipment. Unless you are in the Datacenter business.
Or you have customers that require confidential information to be kept on premise and who audit you on it.:busted:

Plus what happens when you farm everything out and your connection to the world dies?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Or you have customers that require confidential information to be kept on premise and who audit you on it.:busted:
So these customers feel that your company's security is greater than that of AWS? Shouldn't be a terribly difficult task to convince them that's not true. :)

Plus what happens when you farm everything out and your connection to the world dies?
You go to the local Starbucks and connect. :think:

In the meantime - power outages are a thing of the past... and physical USB keys? lol.