Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I am gonna have to push the pause button on this until after tomorrows snow storm.
IMG-4264.JPG

Hoping the winds don't do too much damage. Loosing power with the temps falling back into the single digits over the weekend would make life very hard for some folks.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

An uneventful commute in this morning - which is always a good thing. Helped my son work on his science project - there was much stress, yelling and tears - and that was just from me.

The eastern half of the state is getting some snow today. It's just cold here. Cold, with a high probability of angry customers is the forecast.

Imma go get this coffee....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

For brevity purposes, I shall update in list form:

1. Craftsman Professional (one of the still made in the USA versions!) is dead. Keeps locking up with reasonably little torque application. Third time it's locked up on me in the past 2 years requiring the head to be taken apart. Methinks it's time to replace it with either a Snap-On or a Harbor Freight, depending upon how saucy I'm feeling at the time.
2. Best friend asked me to be a groomsman in his June wedding in Boston. Should be interesting, both he and his soon to be wife are Asian and want to integrate some traditional elements into their ceremony. I can't say i've ever been to a wedding like that, so I'm curious to see what these traditional Asian elements are (Chinese/Vietnamese)
3. Installed these yesterday:

Untitled by Tim Souza, on Flickr

4. Contemplating getting a Makita track saw, anyone have one? As much as I've love the Festool, not sure it would be worth it for my purposes.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Still unpacking from the hut trip. Also wearing a flannel shirt. Contemplating listing our spare room on AirBNB or similar. Long chat last night with my girlfriend about moving to the mountains, and what the timeframe could be for something like that, and what we need to get in order before seriously starting a plan in motion.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Mornin!

For brevity purposes, I shall update in list form:

1. Craftsman Professional (one of the still made in the USA versions!) is dead. Keeps locking up with reasonably little torque application. Third time it's locked up on me in the past 2 years requiring the head to be taken apart. Methinks it's time to replace it with either a Snap-On or a Harbor Freight, depending upon how saucy I'm feeling at the time.
2. Best friend asked me to be a groomsman in his June wedding in Boston. Should be interesting, both he and his soon to be wife are Asian and want to integrate some traditional elements into their ceremony. I can't say i've ever been to a wedding like that, so I'm curious to see what these traditional Asian elements are (Chinese/Vietnamese)
3. Installed these yesterday:

Untitled by Tim Souza, on Flickr

4. Contemplating getting a Makita track saw, anyone have one? As much as I've love the Festool, not sure it would be worth it for my purposes.
https://www.kctoolco.com/ratchets-and-handles/

also, that makita has been looking nice, I have been drooling over one :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tim, doesn’t said craftsman have a lifetime guarantee?

mentally burned out, I need to shake things up a bit over here
Me, too. No more late shifts after this month, I think.

I had to get here early for a 7:45 lecture that I’m giving. I’d whine more but these med students started their day with a 5:30 lecture, I think...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I had to get here early for a 7:45 lecture that I’m giving. I’d whine more but these med students started their day with a 5:30 lecture, I think...
They do yes, but the newer models are all imported and aren't built to the same standard. There's a noticeable difference in the fit, finish, and tightness of the ratcheting mechanism. I'd prefer to stick with my USA version but my hand may be forced.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have a feeling I am done here and I have mixed feelers about all that business. I am seriously underutilized and not doing what I want to do, so there is that. I am getting to old for this sh!t and wonder if it is time for a real change. Problem is we need to reduce our lifestyle and that is tough to do with almost a year of payments left and the boy living at home with little projection of leaving before Summer.

I should move to Canada and start over.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

The irony of our recent work/life balance discussion is quite clear at the moment.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They do yes, but the newer models are all imported and aren't built to the same standard. There's a noticeable difference in the fit, finish, and tightness of the ratcheting mechanism. I'd prefer to stick with my USA version but my hand may be forced.

I used to burn through my craftsman 3/8" ratchet regularly. You can get rebuild kits for them, basically a new star wheel and pawls.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The irony of our recent work/life balance discussion is quite clear at the moment.
I make no claims that my balance is ideal now. I'd like to dial it down a notch or three even from working 1.0 FTE without extra shifts but for the debt. 1.0 + 4-5 extra shifts is too much, though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I make no claims that my balance is ideal now. I'd like to dial it down a notch or three even from working 1.0 FTE without extra shifts but for the debt. 1.0 + 4-5 extra shifts is too much, though.
Life is more important than work, get the balance right.

@Nick when are we ruining your car brakes? :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Still unpacking from the hut trip. Also wearing a flannel shirt. Contemplating listing our spare room on AirBNB or similar. Long chat last night with my girlfriend about moving to the mountains, and what the timeframe could be for something like that, and what we need to get in order before seriously starting a plan in motion.
where abouts? thinking of moving to Ned or Gilpin County in the spring myself.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Clear liquids only today. I get a camera shoved up my ass mañana. (no, not for work)

on a more comfortable to talk about note....yup, got nada.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Life is more important than work, get the balance right.
I thought I could add these extra shifts and shrug it off, and benefit from paying off loans earlier. Apparently it's too much, though. I'll drop back to my usual 3.5-4 days per week schedule and not be a hero, since being a hero pays well but makes me unhappy.

Worst case is that I get my self-driving car in 2022 instead. :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
where abouts? thinking of moving to Ned or Gilpin County in the spring myself.
Location TBD, we have constraints of sorts. Gal is a nurse, so it has to be a big enough town or close enough to a big enough town to have work for her. I work remote so not as big of a deal for me. But also, she's not as into winter recreation as I am, so finding a spot with a mild-ish winter for her but still close to good skiing for me might be tough. Probably staying in Colorado, so Salida, Steamboat, and Durango are the top 3 at the moment. Going to do a fair bit of "town visiting" this summer to narrow it down and pick a spot. Then putting in a 2-ish year plan to make it happen.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:wave:

Imma go ski.
:stupid:

In fact, I'm writing this from the ski hill bar, while having a club sandwich and beer. Conditions aren't as good as yesterday though, which is too bad. But at least I'm alone, and that's awesome.
I should move to Canada and start over.
Yes.
Location TBD, we have constraints of sorts. Gal is a nurse, so it has to be a big enough town or close enough to a big enough town to have work for her. I work remote so not as big of a deal for me. But also, she's not as into winter recreation as I am, so finding a spot with a mild-ish winter for her but still close to good skiing for me might be tough. Probably staying in Colorado, so Salida, Steamboat, and Durango are the top 3 at the moment. Going to do a fair bit of "town visiting" this summer to narrow it down and pick a spot. Then putting in a 2-ish year plan to make it happen.
See above. Look at Vancouver, Squamish or Sea to sky corridor...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Durango is prolly gonna win that fight.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Sadly that is for a torque wrench, not my ratchet like this:

I even went through the pain of talking to one of their agents, who even when provided with the model number per the Sears website, could only provide parts for a torque wrench manufactured like 70 years ago that was a "manufacturer's equivalent". As the spring, pin, and pawl mechanism clearly would not work, I suppose I'll be visiting the depressing wasteland that is their store and swapping.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sadly that is for a torque wrench, not my ratchet like this:

I even went through the pain of talking to one of their agents, who even when provided with the model number per the Sears website, could only provide parts for a torque wrench manufactured like 70 years ago that was a "manufacturer's equivalent". As the spring, pin, and pawl mechanism clearly would not work, I suppose I'll be visiting the depressing wasteland that is their store and swapping.
Check E-Bay

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Salida is a cool town. Would totally live there if the job market suited my field.