Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
How the hell did they get sticky sweet??

Wait. I don't wanna know. :panic:
Romance is still alive amongst some. One couple came in to order a 35th anniversary ring a day before. That was their way of celebrating, by visiting the smith. It was his idea to surprise her and she loved it. If I can bring a wee bit of joy to others and get paid then so be it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
fucking rainy and warm here. can't do anything outside and it's driving me nuts. at least I'm not on holiday.

Also seem to have picked up another fucking cold or something. Itchy/scratchy throat and nose. This is like the 3rd time since November. WTF?!

Will go do groceries just to get out of the house (with a mask on), and might take the boy to see Les Trois Mousquetaires: Milady tomorrow.

Still hunting for studded fatbike tires for a good price...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
fucking rainy and warm here. can't do anything outside and it's driving me nuts. at least I'm not on holiday.

Also seem to have picked up another fucking cold or something. Itchy/scratchy throat and nose. This is like the 3rd time since November. WTF?!

Will go do groceries just to get out of the house (with a mask on), and might take the boy to see Les Trois Mousquetaires: Milady tomorrow.

Still hunting for studded fatbike tires for a good price...
What size and how cheap you looking for tires?

On borealisbikes.ca they have Cake Eater tires in 27.5 x 4.5" for less than $200. Less for 26"...

Depending on what you find, studding them yourself might be an option. I got 500 studs from this place for $143 (with the tool):

Friggin expensive for tires either way.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What size and how cheap you looking for tires?

On borealisbikes.ca they have Cake Eater tires in 27.5 x 4.5" for less than $200. Less for 26"...

Depending on what you find, studding them yourself might be an option. I got 500 studs from this place for $143 (with the tool):

Friggin expensive for tires either way.
yeah, 26x4.6. That fatbikes.ca place has a deal on for a pair of Cake Eaters and 400 studs for $400. Seems pretty decent. My only concern with the Cake Eaters are their performance in soft/loose snow. The paddles don't seem deep enough. I figure I'll probably be skiing when the snow is like that, but still loathe to give up on those conditions entirely.

Another option is a pair of Schwalbe Al Mighty from the German sites for about $380, shipped. But they're 4.8's and I'm not sure that would fit into the back of my frame (2016 Salsa Mukluk). I've converted to 1x, so I'm pretty sure I can fit a 4.6 in, but I'm not sure about the 4.8...

I'm waiting for my LBS to open again (should be open tomorrow I think). I want to see what they have in stock. I might be able to get a deal through them, they often cut me slack as one of their longest-running customers.

But I'm kind of leaning towards some Wrathchilds from Cycles Quilicot in Montreal. It would be $520 for the pair. They're pre-studded, generally perceived as the best all-rounders, and should fit...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah, 26x4.6. That fatbikes.ca place has a deal on for a pair of Cake Eaters and 400 studs for $400. Seems pretty decent. My only concern with the Cake Eaters are their performance in soft/loose snow. The paddles don't seem deep enough. I figure I'll probably be skiing when the snow is like that, but still loathe to give up on those conditions entirely.

Another option is a pair of Schwalbe Al Mighty from the German sites for about $380, shipped. But they're 4.8's and I'm not sure that would fit into the back of my frame (2016 Salsa Mukluk). I've converted to 1x, so I'm pretty sure I can fit a 4.6 in, but I'm not sure about the 4.8...

I'm waiting for my LBS to open again (should be open tomorrow I think). I want to see what they have in stock. I might be able to get a deal through them, they often cut me slack as one of their longest-running customers.

But I'm kind of leaning towards some Wrathchilds from Cycles Quilicot in Montreal. It would be $520 for the pair. They're pre-studded, generally perceived as the best all-rounders, and should fit...
Fwiw the knobs on the Cake Eaters on my new bike are only a tiny bit shorter than the ones on the Minion FBF's that I have on the old bike, if you've ever seem those.

I think they'll be okay... the rubber is pretty soft, not sure if that really matters though when riding on snow.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got my shelves cleaned off and my workbench is movable. Now it's pouring rain, so I can't really move them at the moment. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow, so that might be moving day. I just need to back the moto and quad out the way.

The wife thinks I need another 2 weeks off to finish, but I think I am close. I could be wrong.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Its Boxing Day. I have always been unclear what we celebrate it for. I am pretty sure you cannot go up to the Pretzel guy and strike him for putting yellow mustard on your pretzel instead of putting guldens on the side in a little ketchup cup. I cannot invent a scenario where someone would put ketchup on a pretzel. Yet he has it available. At least its Heinz.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Its Boxing Day. I have always been unclear what we celebrate it for. I am pretty sure you cannot go up to the Pretzel guy and strike him for putting yellow mustard on your pretzel instead of putting guldens on the side in a little ketchup cup. I cannot invent a scenario where someone would put ketchup on a pretzel. Yet he has it available. At least its Heinz.
Are you sure he wasn't selling Hot Dogs as well ? Because ketchup with pretzels is suspicious. Watch out he might be a Glitter Cartel operative tracking you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You're a day late, 26th is Boxing Day.

Virtually bikecycled indoors, 13 miles and 5150ft of vert to give my quads something to complain about.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Fuck I may just fire a guy for a massive case of annoying stupidity

He is like the employee that opens every email from anyone if it has Joke in the title and infects the server with a virus Over and over again no matter how many times you tell them to stop it.

I really want to let GFF use him for target practice

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Are you sure he wasn't selling Hot Dogs as well ? Because ketchup with pretzels is suspicious. Watch out he might be a Glitter Cartel operative tracking you.
I thought of that. But I had to pee downtown. I didn't want to pee by the war memorial. But certain choices were not made by me. I was lucky nobody was within view to see my disrespect. The thought of a glitter cartel. Is rather disturbing. I have nobody to blame for that mental image but myself. I am almost sorry for that. Except for the fact that you were somehow compelled to promote that all on your own.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I thought of that. But I had to pee downtown. I didn't want to pee by the war memorial. But certain choices were not made by me. I was lucky nobody was within view to see my disrespect. The thought of a glitter cartel. Is rather disturbing. I have nobody to blame for that mental image but myself. I am almost sorry for that. Except for the fact that you were somehow compelled to promote that all on your own.
It's probably just me being paranoid and nothing to worry about, probably maybe. Been finding bits of glitter in unexpected places recently. Can never be too careful with that stuff.