Quantcast

***Wednesderp GMT***

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Rode a 5 LR this past weekend in size Large, and I liked it but didn't like it as much as the 5.5, which I rode in an XL. Will be riding an XL 5 LR probably next week, on a trail that I know well, to get a better comparison between the two. When I rode the 5 over the weekend, it was on ~18 miles of trail I had never seen before, so that might affect my perception. There is a thing on the 5 that I didn't like regardless of what trail I was on... the handlebars were too high, even with no spacers under the stem. I think reducing travel from 160mm to 150mm on the 36 would (help) resolve this.

I'm 6'1" and change, probably close enough to call it 6'2". Weighing in close to 2 bills, butt-ass naked. Terms and conditions may apply, YMMV.
Drop bars or flipped stem will fix that!

5's unite! I think 150mm up front is perfect. Struck the perfect compromise between uphill and downhill ability. Not sure I've ever felt the need for extra up front, but you rip harder than I do so maybe you might.

Either way, you'd probably benefit of going with the LR just to get the additional burliness of the 36 and dropping the travel accordingly.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Rode a 5 LR this past weekend in size Large, and I liked it but didn't like it as much as the 5.5, which I rode in an XL. Will be riding an XL 5 LR probably next week, on a trail that I know well, to get a better comparison between the two. When I rode the 5 over the weekend, it was on ~18 miles of trail I had never seen before, so that might affect my perception. There is a thing on the 5 that I didn't like regardless of what trail I was on... the handlebars were too high, even with no spacers under the stem. I think reducing travel from 160mm to 150mm on the 36 would (help) resolve this.

I'm 6'1" and change, probably close enough to call it 6'2". Weighing in close to 2 bills, butt-ass naked. Terms and conditions may apply, YMMV.
I liked the large 5 and I'm 5'11" so I'd say you should definitely check out the XL. I haven't ridden the lunch ride so I can't comment on the front end height. It's strange that you say that the handlebars were too high (stack) on the large Lunch Ride though. Looking at the numbers the large lunch ride has a shorter stack height than the XL 5.5, it's possible that what you were feeling was the shorter reach causing a more upright body position?? Do you generally ride a long TT bike?

I'm interested to hear how you like the Lunch Ride XL since the geo numbers are very similar to the 5.5 XL.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I liked the large 5 and I'm 5'11" so I'd say you should definitely check out the XL. I haven't ridden the lunch ride so I can't comment on the front end height. It's strange that you say that the handlebars were too high (stack) on the large Lunch Ride though. Looking at the numbers the large lunch ride has a shorter stack height than the XL 5.5, it's possible that what you were feeling was the shorter reach causing a more upright body position?? Do you generally ride a long TT bike?

I'm interested to hear how you like the Lunch Ride XL since the geo numbers are very similar to the 5.5 XL.
Bar height is a funny thing with me... and I don't subscribe to bar height being driven by stack height and dimensions of the human per se, that sounds like roadie nonsense if all you need the bike to do is move forward when you pedal it. Dialing in bar height has more to do with the way the bike handles... there's a sweet spot (for me) of where the bars need to be, that every bike has, where the bar position to ??? distance/relationship is just right and the control/cornering feels spot on. It's a feel, not a measurement. Maybe not surprisingly, the sweet spot on my steel hardtail 29er (Niner ROS size L) is higher than other bikes I've owned, and the reach/TT on that bike is much shorter as well. It just feels right, and it isn't how leaned over or stretched out or upright or whatever I am. Most everyone I ride with comments and some point how low I like my bars, generally speaking. I'm the stack whisperer, I guess.

If I were to pick a measurement that affects where I want the bars on a particular bike, I'm gonna go with BB height. Partially to be contrarian, but also because I think a little taller BB height (or really, less BB drop from axle line) will affect handling of the bike for sure, and why wouldn't that affect where you want your bars? When you're standing on the bike, the only points of contact are your feet and your hands. So it stands to reason where the BB is in relation to the axles and the top of the head tube affect how much higher than (and how far in front of) the top of the head tube you want your hands. Also vice versa, but you can't (usually) adjust BB position.

And generally yes, I think I prefer longer TT bikes. SB6 before this, gen 1 SB5 (with a 36) before that, SB66 before that... all fairly long TT bikes. This is the first I am going to XL on any of these bikes, though. The first 5 and the 66 both had 70mm stems, the 6 had a 50. So you know... that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
On my way home for one more business call, then a group ride in the evening. I avoided difficult interactions today, I'll pay for that tomorrow without a doubt.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Bar height is a funny thing with me... and I don't subscribe to bar height = stack per se.....

When you're standing on the bike, the only points of contact are your feet and your hands. So it stands to reason where the BB is in relation to the axles and the top of the head tube affect how much higher than (and how far in front of) the top of the head tube you want your hands. Also vice versa, but you can't (usually) adjust BB position
I'm confused. That's literally what stack height is when you're talking about frame geo. The relationship between the BB and the top of the head tube. You can adjust your riding stack height with spacers and stems and stuff but the frame stack number will be the same.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Had an argument with my wife last night at bedtime. slept like shit. it's her birthday tomorrow and I'm supposed to take the day off the be with her. Now I'm not really keen on it. it's supposed to be a nice day. the mountain bike riding sure would be nice...

busy as shit at work too, and I'm cross-eyed from fatigue. thanks O'Bama.
I think she's fucking with me now. She texted me at lunch saying it was ok if I wanted to go biking while she goes to the spa alone. I think it's a trap. I did not fall for it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Full Trucker ....hey....if you are doing the baja 500....kustomcoachwerks from grand junction will be running this....
20180523_171626.jpg

john is a nice guy...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm confused. That's literally what stack height is when you're talking about frame geo. The relationship between the BB and the top of the head tube. You can adjust your riding stack height with spacers and stems and stuff but the frame stack number will be the same.
Mostly I was just taking the piss, talking out of my butt. And you're right, stack height is top of head tube to BB, and does affect where them bars go. But so also does just straight up Axle to Crown height of the fork, and wheel size. It's all black magic to me, so I re-emphasize my assertion that it's a feel, not a measurement. At least it is for me.

@Full Trucker ....hey....if you are doing the baja 500....kustomcoachwerks from grand junction will be running this....View attachment 128895

john is a nice guy...
Rad, didn't know there was a Class 11 team in GJ since the Fire Guys sold their 11 and went Jeepspeed. If that's the current state of the car, they might wanna speed it the hell up though. We're not running... our car is still busted as from the 1000 in November.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
it's a feel, not a measurement
So true. There are so many other variables going on that it's hard to isolate one measurement # as causing the bike to feel good or bad.

In the 5 vs 5.5 comparison two bikes with similar stack will feel very different with different wheel sizes and BB drop #s. For example I'm starting to think I don't like the big BB drop #s on 29ers but who knows if it's something else (wheelbase, A to C length, chainstay length).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dad texted me just as I locked the car to go on tonight's group ride with news that grandma had passed. Pretty much fucked right off from the group and rode solo.

This week just took a spiral turn.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dad texted me just as I locked the car to go on tonight's group ride with news that grandma had passed. Pretty much fucked right off from the group and rode solo.

This week just took a spiral turn.
Sorry to hear that. That's tough. Hope you were able to get a good ride in and remember the good times you had.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Doc put me on a strong NSAID (MOBIC) for my piece of shit arthritis about a month ago. Started feeling a bit stressed out and irritable soon after. Shit kept getting worse and worse until over the weekend I was completely losing my shit over dumb stuff. Looking at the side effects of MOBIC, "nervousness" was listed. I figured it could be the cause. Stopped taking it a few days ago and I am happily back to my normal levels of angry and irritable. I really wish my doc warned me of this.