Quantcast

***Wednesderp GMT***

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It may not up your MPG because when coasting in gear the fuel injectors are turned off. When idling they're on--not much on but not off.

this makes sense to me, and is something I've observed. I have a manual vehicle. when I put it in neutral and coast down a hill, the engine is idling and the car computer indicates that it's consuming about 4l/100km.

But what I don't understand is when I put it in gear and coast, it shows 0 consumption. Is that because the wheels are turning the engine in that situation instead of gas turning the engine? Or (as is implied in the article) is the computer simply not designed to provide that information, so it shows bogus info?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But what I don't understand is when I put it in gear and coast, it shows 0 consumption. Is that because the wheels are turning the engine in that situation instead of gas turning the engine? Or (as is implied in the article) is the computer simply not designed to provide that information, so it shows bogus info?
Wheels are turning engine. Injectors at 0% duty cycle--no fuel injected.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
have you done it before?
a) bring warm layers for the top, and consider a spare banana
2) Burro could be my favorite trail anywhere
c. I'm very jealous.
Somehow on my 1,000 trips to Moab, I've never ridden the whole thing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Apparently when you lose 50# and are less fat, you can walk in and fit into a sport coat right away. I've also learned that I'm still 48/Long despite not still rowing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
WAIT JUST A FUCKIN MINUTE. so you're saying you AND @jonKranked BOTH have hot tubs??? and @stoney DOESN'T???
:panic:
Running costs. Hot tubs are not a good idea in cold climate (or any for that matter). [Puts sheet up to hide M]
Also I was a pool boy in HS. Those things are fucking cesspools.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
BMX track was done with Haley. Ran into CO 45-50 state champion there. He was all about her riding and cheering her on. Bike people are awesome.

House chores prepping for first snow are done. Digging out snow gear for the girls now. Looking forward to my extra long commute tomorrow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I will drive in to work tomorrow, in the Land Cruiser no less. Gotta have cross-Africa capability for driving in 1-3” of snow yo

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I do not posses the skill to drive a Ferrari.
Neither did this guy