Quantcast

Week vacation with the family this summer where to go?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wife and I have been thinking about going to Vermont with the kids but I am open to suggestions. Has to be somewhere we can drive to but since I drive to Florida that leave a pretty long distance to cover if necessary.

If Vermont I am open to suggestions of where to got there too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maine is really cool if you've never been.

wife and i went to newport RI and martha's vineyard with the kiddo last summer (when he was still just a baby). i had a better time than i expected.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fair warning: acadia gets crowded in the summer.

Portland maine is really cool and worth a stop as well.

depending on how outdoorsy / rustic you wanna get Baxter State Park is EXCELLENT.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
disclaimer to the above post: it's been years since i've been during peak season. i've been going the week of/after labor day the last couple years. main reason being crowd avoidance and rates are slightly better at B&B's (although not full off-peak rates).

i wanna go in the fall / winter sometime in the future.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
depending on how outdoorsy / rustic you wanna get Baxter State Park is EXCELLENT.
^ this

While Acadia is amazing, it can get busy in summer. I like like the whole area south of Rt1 between Brunswick and Rockport. All those bays & necks are fantastic. The Pemaquid lighthouse is iconic, there are some fantastic museums near Rockport. You could also try your luck at the Maine islands, but I suspect they will be already booked for the peak season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^ this

While Acadia is amazing, it can get busy in summer. I like like the whole area south of Rt1 between Brunswick and Rockport. All those bays & necks are fantastic. The Pemaquid lighthouse is iconic, there are some fantastic museums near Rockport. You could also try your luck at the Maine islands, but I suspect they will be already booked for the peak season.
Katahdin from Kidney pond is my desktop background on the work computer. can't wait to go back, gotta wait till the kid is a little older though. wanna spend a week there in one of the cabins.

also, the last time i was at baxter was the first time my wife went camping with me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wow-everyone beat me to ME. Acadia is awesome. The coast between Portland and Camden is great too. My parents live on the Pemaquid peninsula. I grew up going there and we go up for a week every summer with the boys. Shoot me a message if you want details.... I think @dan-o also knows the region well...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow-everyone beat me to ME. Acadia is awesome. The coast between Portland and Camden is great too. My parents live on the Pemaquid peninsula. I grew up going there and we go up for a week every summer with the boys. Shoot me a message if you want details.... I think @dan-o also knows the region well...
So your parents will host the next monkeyfest?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Revere Beach in Boston. When you get sick of the beach you can always take the kids to the Dog Track. Or you could rent a place in the Hamptons. No reported Great White Shark attacks were recorded last year.... You'll be fine....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Canadians are very welcoming - often providing convenient steps to grand vistas... plus Celine Dion is in Vegas, Justin Bieber is in Florida and William Shatner has always remained awesome.
They call Ham Bacon. Almost assured you will have poor breakfast options. They do make good Maple Syrup. Shredded Wheat just doesn't make up the difference IMO. They put Ketchup on eggs and lumpy gravy on everything else.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They call Ham Bacon. Almost assured you will have poor breakfast options. They do make good Maple Syrup. Shredded Wheat just doesn't make up the difference IMO. They put Ketchup on eggs and lumpy gravy on everything else.
Listen good sir, bacon up here is bacon. That Canadian bacon shiz you call bacon/ham is a sham, agreed!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Canadians often misbehave at Yellowstone and show great concern for baby buffalo.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
If Kingdom Trails, the Fairbanks Museum is close in St. Johnsbury (Saint J). Origin of the Fairbanks Scale, active seismology data recording, and other meteorological study / reporting. Good collection of New England / Vermont history also - kids will enjoy it.

Local trails are well done in Stowe with Perry Hill in Waterbury. Plenty of lodging, flavors of food, when the weather is clear (Lamoille is the most-overcast County) many great sunrise and sunset. Depending, I'll post one in the AM here.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Revere Beach in Boston. When you get sick of the beach you can always take the kids to the Dog Track. Or you could rent a place in the Hamptons. No reported Great White Shark attacks were recorded last year.... You'll be fine....
Dog and horse tracks have been shut down.
Knife fights on beach still OK.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Dog and horse tracks have been shut down.
Knife fights on beach still OK.
Thats a shame. Old People in New England have a unique smell that is hard to explain. A trip to the dog track was always a eye opening experience. We went to Carson Beach or Mullen Sq. for knife, gun, car, beer bottle fights, trash can lid fights, etc....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
While I hate the drive out, we have always dug our vacation out in the Wellfleet area of Cape Cod - access to bay & ocean beaches, skate park in town, easy to bike around and easy access to the rail trail. 20 minute drive to P'town and moar sealz (& GW sharks) than you can shake a stick at! Prob is that many places get booked up by February.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
While I hate the drive out, we have always dug our vacation out in the Wellfleet area of Cape Cod - access to bay & ocean beaches, skate park in town, easy to bike around and easy access to the rail trail. 20 minute drive to P'town and moar sealz (& GW sharks) than you can shake a stick at! Prob is that many places get booked up by February.
Thinking about doing some camping. I hate all this planning way ahead of time.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Have to give that GW an "A" for effort...doesn't appear to have paid off in the end. Good selfie opp for those kids I guess.

Anyway, this may prove useful when deciding if you should try out the new seal shaped one-piece bathing suit

http://www.ocearch.org/

Hey looky there, sweet little Betsy is back in the Cape Cod area as of yesterday. She's only 14 feet, so a gentle bump on the nose will probably send her back into deep water.

Last edited: