Quantcast

weekend ride reports

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
So, who rode?

I did a 2.5 hour solo ride on Saturday. Kind of a slow pace as I started off doing some exploring. Finished up with some pretty kickass techy singletrack. Twas a good ride indeed.

I'm starting to think about a century road ride around Cayuga Lake later in the season...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My bikes sat on my back porch, they are dirty from rides long ago.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Me and MBC went to the gym Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We were expecting rain all day Saturday, so we worked legs at the gym first thing in the morning and killed them with squats and deadlifts, which pretty much eliminated any chance of us riding that day. Of course, it hardly rained at all and actually got sunny later in the afternoon.

:p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
does riding my bike home from work Friday count?
Works for me.

I'm commuting tomorrow - brought my stuff in today so I don't have to lug in it by bike tomorrow. That should work better. Might also try a longer loop now that it's getting light out a bit earlier.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
I rode some trails in Germantown, MD on Saturday. It was my first real ride this year, and it was great. I think I tweaked my rear derailleur, but it'll do for now. The trails are looking good this year. MORE has really got its act together.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Saturday was mostly trail work, although we did have to try out some new features. One particular funny moment was when we built a kicker over a stump and I volunteered to be the first to try it, going in cold. It wasn't pretty but I didn't get hurt so it was all good :p

Sunday I took the new roadie out for a 35 miler to visit Mom. Pics and a review of that incredible bike will be coming soon, I promise :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Dude, you had like a 19 MPH average, right? Kick ass. :cool:

it was 18.5mph when I pulled onto my street, not sure how I did that......must have been an overall elevation loss (work to home)

tonight:

Monday, May 9, 6:00 pm, Gibbs farm 1st mtn bike clinic of 2005. As usual the clinic will consist of approximately 3 parts. For beginners/inexperienced riders there will be a mountain bike clinic, held on the dirt parking lot at the farm. Various small wooden boxes and props will be used to teach participants the basic mtn bike skills.

For more experienced riders that want to bump into things, the larger boxes and ramps will be set up in another part of the parking lot. Finally, the third part, the singletrack course will be open.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
tonight:

Monday, May 9, 6:00 pm, Gibbs farm 1st mtn bike clinic of 2005. As usual the clinic will consist of approximately 3 parts. For beginners/inexperienced riders there will be a mountain bike clinic, held on the dirt parking lot at the farm. Various small wooden boxes and props will be used to teach participants the basic mtn bike skills.

For more experienced riders that want to bump into things, the larger boxes and ramps will be set up in another part of the parking lot. Finally, the third part, the singletrack course will be open.
That sounds cool Doug...where's Gibbs Farm?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
despite the crappy weather, i decided to buck up and do a ride yesterday. so i set off for a solo spin on the trails near my house (boxford st forest/bald hill - they are only a mile or two from my driveway). no one else was out on the trails, and the rocks and roots were slimy. hadn't been on these particular trails in well over 2 years, but not much had changed (aside from a beaver dam which created a much larger stream/run-off than had been there previously, rendering the small boardwalk bridges pretty useless.

it was only kinda misting, and the light rain held off until i was on the road home. not a bad little ride, though the many water crossings yielded cold feet. legs feel a bit worse today than i'd expected.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
20 miles Saturday in the lovely shady woods.

90 miles yesterday on the hot as hell asphalt.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, Friday afterschool I decided to give road riding a try. No, I don't have a road bike and I didn't have enough time to even swap my tires, so I set off on a 27-28 mile ride from my house on the Jekyll (locked out front and rear), over West Mountain and ended up at my brother's house in Fort Ann. Carried shingles up on his roof and helped him shingle half of his roof before some beers and dinner. My impressions of road riding: I should have changed my tires, 'cause my knobby tires were loud and provided a great deal of rolling resistance. An MP3 player would have helped...I got bored after a while. Oh yeah, I managed 13.5 mph so not too shabby I guess.

Saturday, putzed around the yard, cleaned the turtle and fish tanks and went to a BBQ. Sunday, dinner with my mother and very little riding around the yard. :(

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
it was suppost to rain heavily o nsat so i wussed out and didnt go to Graham hills. I went and played in the street sunday morning before spending the day with mother. I guess the weekend could have been worse.

next weekend... opening day at diablo.. I cant wait.. probably going sunday

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I set off on a 27-28 mile ride from my house on the Jekyll (locked out front and rear), over West Mountain and ended up at my brother's house in Fort Ann.
What route did you take? That's a pretty sick ride yo!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I rode from the house to the trails Friday night for a 2 1/2 hr ride.

Did a trail ride with the whiner(loco) on Saturday -- maybe 8 miles. I don't have a cycle computer so I just guess.

It stormed Sunday morning so I just hung around the house for Mom's day.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
This weekend I went on two solo rides on a bunch of new trails in the Kingdom. The trails opened Friday, but I didn't get out til Saturday. I did about a 10 mile loop including the new trail "Worth it" which I helped build last season. The new Kitchel is a blast! The trails are in great shape and the week delayed opening was a really wise move!

Sunday I did another 12 mile loop with lots of climbing. During the past month the trail work has been amazing! There are tons of new trails and lots of work on existing trails. I took the new Herbs to end the ride and I must say, it is a masterpiece!!!

Planning on two rides this week, then again this weekend!!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
What route did you take? That's a pretty sick ride yo!
I went down Wells Rd. (from my house) to 9N, through Corinth, over West Mountain via Corinth Mtn. Rd., down West Mountain Rd. to Prospect Rd., over I-87, down 9 to 149. It was interesting (some fun stairs and curbs to hop around on at the outlet mall on 9) :D

Echo said:
Knowing how hilly it is where you live, 13.5 mph on a mountain bike is damn good:thumb:
Thanks! I was surprised at how fast I went and I felt GREAT afterward!!! Earl figured out my avg. and was impressed too...maybe now I can convince him that we need road bikes ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jollytime said:
This weekend I went on two solo rides on a bunch of new trails in the Kingdom. The trails opened Friday, but I didn't get out til Saturday. I did about a 10 mile loop including the new trail "Worth it" which I helped build last season. The new Kitchel is a blast! The trails are in great shape and the week delayed opening was a really wise move!

Sunday I did another 12 mile loop with lots of climbing. During the past month the trail work has been amazing! There are tons of new trails and lots of work on existing trails. I took the new Herbs to end the ride and I must say, it is a masterpiece!!!

ack! I'm so jealous! its too long before monkeyfest

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I went down Wells Rd. (from my house) to 9N, through Corinth, over West Mountain via Corinth Mtn. Rd., down West Mountain Rd. to Prospect Rd., over I-87, down 9 to 149.
Holy sh*t!! :eek: You're braver than I am... Nice work!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jollytime said:

:dancing:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jollytime said:

Way to go JT!!

Say perhaps you could map out some good Monkeyfest routes for us. Will you and Lisa be able to ride for any of that weekend? Maybe a Friday afternoon ride if we get up there early enough?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Friday I did a one hour XC ride after work so I didn't have to sit in traffic. Saturday I took pictures of people riding and yesterday I did a short XC ride, I bonked, which makes me realize I need to do more XC riding.

Orven "the weedwhacker"

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I rode around 26 miles on Saturday at a place that is normally "closed" to riding because it's private property. The Cascade Chainbreaker race took place there Sunday so I went out and helped in the feedzone. It's extremely hard to watch when I know that if I raced, I could probably win. But hey, doctors orders and I'm being good.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
MMcG said:
Way to go JT!!

Say perhaps you could map out some good Monkeyfest routes for us. Will you and Lisa be able to ride for any of that weekend? Maybe a Friday afternoon ride if we get up there early enough?
Hey Mark, I would be glad to lay down some routes for you. Some of the new stuff is just stellar and should not be missed!

I may be able to sneak out on Friday... :sneaky:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jollytime said:
Hey Mark, I would be glad to lay down some routes for you. Some of the new stuff is just stellar and should not be missed!

I may be able to sneak out on Friday... :sneaky:
Brilliant! :dancing: :dancing:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Holy sh*t!! :eek: You're braver than I am... Nice work!!
LOL!!! That's pretty much what Earl said. He had Friday off and drove over earlier in the day to help my brother with his roof. I planned on driving over, but it was such a nice day I decided to ride over. They were all laughing at me but I had a good ride and managed to help out with the roof without wasting a ton of gas driving 2 cars over.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
LOL!!! That's pretty much what Earl said. He had Friday off and drove over earlier in the day to help my brother with his roof. I planned on driving over, but it was such a nice day I decided to ride over. They were all laughing at me but I had a good ride and managed to help out with the roof without wasting a ton of gas driving 2 cars over.
Sq-Earl the wuss! Hahaha!! j/k!! Nice new sig. by the way! :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Sq-Earl the wuss! Hahaha!! j/k!! Nice new sig. by the way! :thumb:
LOL!!! So true. He was mocking me forever because I didn't bother to change my knobby tires out for some slicks. I told him to stop thinkin' like a Sally and that I liked the extra resistence added to my workout rides :p

Yeah, it was about time for me to update the sig. :thumb:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
got one short 3mile dh ride in saturday and got another 6 mile dh run in on sunday. it was so nice to get back on the bike after about 2 weeks of nothing.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have bronchitis so i'm trying to take it easy, but went on a one hour 5 mile jaunt. Then went for a hike in the woods....