Quantcast

Weekend Rides/Spruce Mountain

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Friday morning I was able to get the kids up early enough to get out and go for a spin. We hit the bike path at 5:45 am. Although it was on the sidewalk and not the trail to my surprise we ended up going 20 miles, their longest ride to date. I was quite impressed, with them being 7 and 10 years old.

Saturday morning five of us packed up and headed to Prescott to ride Spruce Mountain. This was my first time on this trail. The first 3.5 files are a steep climb with rocks, tree roots and erosion bars. I managed to do quite a bit of walking along with the rest of the group. The last 5 miles are a fast and fun downhill romp with an occassional fallen tree across the trail. Although the temps were pleasant, the humidity was quite higher than what we are used to so it tended to be a bit tropical. For no further than we went it was quite a tough ride, I look forward to going back with the full suspension bike. It will be even more fun next time knowing what to expect.

This morning I met a friend and headed over to Thunderbird Park from his house which is about half a mile away. This was the site were I took the infamous trouncing from the guy in toe clips. Today on the hardtail I was able to clean just about all of it. Much better. We put in a good spin and I was back home before 8:00 am. This is a good trail for working on some technical skills.

The kid's 20 mile ride

Ready to start up Spruce Mountain

The ride begins

The first gnarly erosion bar section (first of many)

Threading through a rocky climb

At the crossroads

Looking up one of the tamer sections of the climb

Progressing along

Another rocky climb

Bike parking

Approaching the switchbacks

Looking up a series of switchbacks

Roots, rocks and erosion bars

Some walking through this section

And some riding

The view ahead

A well deserved break near the top

A hiker with a nice smile

Flat repair on the way down. We had to walk down the hill off the trail to find a place flat enough to work on the bike.

My friend didn't want to wear his soggy riding shorts and forgot to bring a spare pair of pants so he donned his boxers and enjoyed the breeze. He got some interesting looks in the crowded restaurant after the ride.

Sunday morning on the summit of one of the mountains in Thunderbird Park

Looking back across the park where the street cuts through the saddle

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Looks like a great weekend, TW! Looks like you were able to make the most of the debunked weekend.

I ended up camping just south of flag at Fort Tuthill and went on a couple rides over the weekend; the Forest re-opened Sunday morning and I was able to hit some single track before we left.

I picked up a new GPS unit & a handlebar mount to try out over the weekend, but I can't get the damn thing to connect to my Mac. What do you use, National Geographic TOPO?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
macko said:
I picked up a new GPS unit & a handlebar mount to try out over the weekend, but I can't get the damn thing to connect to my Mac. What do you use, National Geographic TOPO?
Glad to hear you got some riding in! For software I use Topofusion. I used the free version for a while but ended up registering as it is a decent product. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Ride tomorrow?