Quantcast

Weight lose not working

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
How come I don't lose fart while I'm training 7-15 hours a week and only eating at most 2000cal/day and as low as 1000cal on rest days? I've lost some but not as much as I should have by now more like half what I should have. What could I be doing wrong?

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
well perhaps your not consuming enought calories, and you are losing more muscle mass than fat, which would cause it to look like you are getting flabbier, what kinds of food are you eating, how often, what do you weigh, sounds like something is funny, but who knows, post some more details, and what you eat in a normal day
charlie

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
First off, you could be eating too little. Eating too little can make your body store as much fat as possible.

Don't expect to lose weight quickly and keep it off, its a long process. Just keep plugging at it and you'll be losing that fat.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
JMAC - as I have said before - you don't need to 'diet' to lose weight. You are male, young and active - metabolism is on your side. Just pay attention to the quality of your excercise and the foods you eat. Physical body weight is not the primary concern unless you have a high body fat ratio.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya I've figured it out. But now i'm 16 pounds over weight and now i'm taking 2 weeks off training oww well I just have to lose it by April and i'm all good.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
I wouldnt do more than 500-750 calorie deficit a day. 1000 cal is way to low IMHO.

500 cal/day = 1lb week
750 cal/day = 1.5lb week

any more than that takes some serious eating discipline to make sure you're getting the proper nutrition.

I usually cut my breakfast in half on my off days and skip desert every day. Along with training I can lose ~1lb/week.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yep, you could sit on the couch all day and you'd burn 2000 calories.

Your body thinks you're starving, so it's trying to store energy like a mother...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I lost a ton of weight after college a few years back (yay, all that baby pudge gone!)....and I'm sure most would say it wasn't very healthy, but it's stayed off over the years....I went from about 140 (at 5'1 that's not a small person), to 115, to my current which is about 105 on average - the bottom end of the proper weight range for my height and build, over the last 3 years or so.

I did it by cutting almost all sweets (I have a sugar tooth like no other, so I have a hard time avoiding some stuff), removing extras like starbucks treatsies and such, and then keeping a diary of what I ate, it's calorie, fat, protein, and fiber counts. My average was between 900 and 1200 calories per day...but one day a week I was allowed to have something extra like french fries, or a bowl of real ice cream, or potato chips....

Usually, the day after I splurged on something yummy my weight would drop quite a bit...basically reminding my body that I wasn't starving it (it was quite used to a 2000+ daily diet)...so those little boosts of junk seemed to remind my system that it was okay to let go of whatever it was storing.

What unintentionally ended up happening is my diet changed entirely..I don't eat the way I did as a kid, and can't imagine going back. And even though I've still got a sweet tooth, the thought of an oreo (which were my Faves!) is kinda disgusting. ;)

Good luck tho! I found it was way easier to lose the big weight (the drop from 140 to 115 went pretty quick), but when it came down to the last 10 or 15 lbs it took forever, and that felt like a true diet, where the other felt like changing my lifestyle a bit. ;)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i've been trying to lose weight and i;m still unsuccesfull. I don;t understand like i usaully have a devicite of like 1000cal i even right every calarie i eat down. It's weird i'm not fat at all but i have a lot of fat i can get rid of on my legs which most ppl as active as i am wouldn;t have.

Anyways i;m getting my Bpdy fat tested this thursday. With the 7 caliper thing.
Maybe i need lyposuction!;)

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Yo JMAC, im going to tell you what has worked for me in the past, and is working for me now. Basically, im eating 4-6 times a day. depending when i wake up. I am eating no bread, very little grains, lots of fruit, lots of meat, cottage cheese, salads. Once every two weeks, i go hog wild and eat whatever i want all day, and than feel like i want to die. basically if you stay aware of what you are eaing, and be very conscious of when you are satisfied, not full, but satisfied, than the extra fat should come off no problem. i have lost approx 10-15lbs of what i think is fat, since my lifts (im a competive powerlifter) are still getting stronger. I am not too conscious of the total amount of fat i take in, i eat what would be considered "healthier foods" if you eat sensibly, and make sure to stop eating when you are satisfied, than fat loss should not be a problem.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
ok you see i;m not overweight or anything i just want to get down to liek 6% body fat and it's really hard.

scroungydog

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
on the living room rug
6%? pretty low, i'm not sure but for me anything under 9% and i felt pretty weak! most pro body builders just before a competion
rarely go under 5%. i could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that it's not healthy to have that low a %
just my .02
-dave-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
well i've talked to alot of ppl and even some none biking just weight training ppl and they all think 6% is ok.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Staying at 6% is bull****. People (especially gym rats) love to say that they have a <5% body fat. Your organs need at the very least 4% to function at their most basic level. If you are PTing hard, and actually trying to get stronger you'll wear your body out quick. Competition BBers get themselves up to at LEAST 8% BF in order to actually gain muscle. Remember, most of them are juicing too which allows their body to grow lean muscle much better than normal lifters. Then they'll pretty much starve their body in order to get that cut look. If you are that low you will not stay that low for long. I've gotten myself down to 6% 2 years ago. It was hell, I'll never do it again unless I'm hardcore BBing. 8-10% is a much healthier goal. I'm at 8.6% right now and I look good and more importantly, feel good. I'm low enough that I when I do a most muscular pose my striations pop out in my chest, my abs are looking real good, and all that goodness.

When checking for BF, try to do the water immersion method as opposed to BF calipers or the electric scales.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
got a 7 pinch test today and she said i was 5.2%. It's complete BS and she agrees with me. So they have a new data for calculationg the % with the measuremnts and she'll call me when they get them.
I think i;m more like 10-12% from what educated ppl tell me.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
check out one of those BF calculators on the internet. Not a BMI one, but the YMCA calculator. That'll give you a rough idea. Not as close as a proper test. If you're of a normal build, it should work within a percent or two.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Jorvik
check out one of those BF calculators on the internet. Not a BMI one, but the YMCA calculator. That'll give you a rough idea. Not as close as a proper test. If you're of a normal build, it should work within a percent or two.
They usaully say like 10-12%

It's just weird cause in the middle of the summer i was as low as 160 usaully 165 and i could have lost more weight than. Now i;m 180+ thats like mad amounts of weight.
I think it must have to do with weight training but still I have to lose weight.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Alright, what I say you should do is workout a lot and get a solid diet going. Go until you look and feel good. Don't worry about BF% or looking like a fitness model. Set realistic goals and just go for it. All it takes is discipline and motivation.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I was researching exercise v. weight loss recently and came across this:

How much exercise do I need to do to lose weight?
Exercise alone may not be the best way to slim down. To lose a pound of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories, or about 1.5 to 2 days worth of food. Since walking a mile burns about 80 calories, you'd have to cover 44 miles to lose a pound!

But losing weight can be much easier if you combine exercising with a little calorie cutting. If you want to lose about a pound a week (a safe, healthy recommendation), you need a 500-calorie deficit each day. You can achieve that by exercising off about 300 calories (a 3- to 4-mile walk or an exercise class) and cutting back on what you eat by 200 calories (a can of soda and two pats of butter) a day

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Jorvik
Alright, what I say you should do is workout a lot and get a solid diet going. Go until you look and feel good. Don't worry about BF% or looking like a fitness model. Set realistic goals and just go for it. All it takes is discipline and motivation.
Thats what i really go by and i feel fat and heavy i know what it feels like when i;m a good weight. But i thin you're right.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i;m finally geting my weight under control again and everything is just falling together again.
Thanks for the help:)