Quantcast

Weight

dietridg

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys I'm new here, tried the search function but came up with nothing. I was wondering if there were any places that listed the weights of bike frames. I currently ride a rock hopper 29er comp disc, and am looking to build a ss 29er. But am torn on what to go with the guy at the bike shop wants to go super budget with the origin 8, but the builds i have seen have all been in the 30 pound range which is what my geared bike weighs. I would prefer to shed some weight if possible, any good options out there, I love the 220 dollar price attached to the origin 8 frame but understand you get what you pay for, but I also don't want to drop 1500 for the frame alone cause Im still in school. Any good frame recommendations or websites that tell you weights of stripped frames

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Ride your bike, buy some lighter tires and tubes when you wear them out.

Or drop a lot of weight by switching to 26" wheels.

May 1, 2006
Ride your bike, buy some lighter tires and tubes when you wear them out.

Or drop a lot of weight by switching to 26" wheels.
he wasnt complaining about the weight of his geared bike, he just wants to build a 29er SS

as far as the weight of the frame goes, if the frame manufacturer's web site doesnt list the weight, you probably arent giong to find it online

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
My medium Jabber, all built up w/ quality parts but w/ nary a thought of weight savings, tips the scales at a hair over 25 pounds, and I'd expect there's less than a pound of difference in the frame weight between the Origin8 and my frame. So the reason you're looking at 30 pounds is the build, not the frame. A lighter crankset, Stans or ghetto tubeless setup on a lighter wheelset (maybe buy used), better saddle, etc., might get you closer to 25 than 30.
- Joe

dietridg

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
I decided to build the ss out of my specialized, which is a pound and some change lighter than the origin 8, and at a later date i will build up a light geared 29er or ds 26er