Quantcast

weird noise from my 888r

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
anyone have any werid noises coming from their 888r? i just bought one have 5 rides on it and it sounds like the spring inside is hitting the inside of the stanction or something. it almosts sound like i have a broken spoke and its hittint metal but it is coming from the shock. Any info would be great thankss. im taking it to my local shop to have them look at it tomorrow

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i somtimes get a creak out of my shiver when i hit things hard, is this a big CRACK! or BANG!noise>? thats the noise i get. but 888 might be different.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Just had a new one come into the shop making the same noise. I suspect that the stock springs need to be preloaded a bit. Move the C-clip down one notch to put more pressure on the spring. Also, make sure the bottom nuts that hold on the lowers are tight. Those are the only two things I could see as a problem.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Thanks for the info, sounds like your customer had the same problem i did. and it only makes the noise when its fully up which probably means that it is not compressed and the spring is flopping around.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by snowskilz
Thanks for the info, sounds like your customer had the same problem i did. and it only makes the noise when its fully up which probably means that it is not compressed and the spring is flopping around.
My thoughts exactly.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
could you please go into a little more detail about what you did to fix it?

do you think someone that can build their own bike but never has worked with shocks can do it on their own or should i just bring it to my lbs and let them putz with it?

thanks

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
My springs rattle around too, I was just going to leave them like that but now I see there is a cure! I havent taken the caps off at all on the fork yet, so I am probably in for a real treat......clips? I am use to forks that have nothing inside them except springs and oil (junior t).
Anybody know how to take the rebound cap off? Do you have to take the knob off or anything? Might have a go at it tomorrow.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Remove the rebound and compression knobs (2mm allen I think). Remove the top caps. Push down on the handlebars (or push up the front wheel if its in a stand) to bring the internals up. You'll see a cap sitting on top of the spring. If you grip that cap and push it down, you'll see a C-clip that keeps that spring cap in place. While holding the spring down, remove the C-clip and move it down to the next lowest notch. Repeat previous step in reverse. Once the knobs are back on, make sure to screw in the set screws on the sides of the top caps. They keep the knobs from unintentially moving. That's it!

Now if you want to change springs or oil, then things get a bit more complicated.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I had the same issue with my 888. It is the spring preload that is the problem. It's easy to fix though. Just unscrew the top caps (26mm socket) and push the fork down to expose the shafts. There is a small wire clip in a groove on the shaft. These are the preload clips. Pop them off (I used my fingernail), push the spring down to expose the next groove, and pop the clip back on. Easy as that.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The 888 is noisey no matter what. Isn't it? Does changing the preload change much. I mean... can you still hear the spring rubbing on the tubes even after changing the preload? Does that noise go away too.

I weigh 175 and have found the stock 888R to be perfect. I haven't changed anything. I just turn up the compression when doing drops and no problems.

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
You have nothing to worry about. It's just the spring rubbing. If you can get them to sit centered the noise goes away. I have fabed up a few pieces that keep the spring centered always....
I'm custom making these for 888 WORKS forks. It's just that extra step being taken to make the WORKS forks works!

Anything not factory could potentially void your warranty, so you guys that want to make your own..be warned.

Cheers and Beers!!
TR

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
That was way too easy....moving the clip down and all. I thought it was alot more complicated. Thanks though.....I think I need to move the clip farther down though because at the very top of the travel the springs still rattle....who knows. Anything hard about changing the oil? Take the caps off and pull the springs and loose stuff out, pour the oil out, put new oil in and put the internals back in?