Quantcast

Welcome back to.... NAME THAT STEM!!!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So I have this generic stem that has no branding whatsoever on it. All I know is that it appears to be forged, but it could be cast, I'm not sure (not CNC). It is 60mm long with a 10 degree rise, and has this information, along with the bar diameter (31.8mm) and the torque specs for the bolts laser-etched into the metal. Now accepting suggestions, I have exhausted all my known resources.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So should I run this stem? Seems that a lot of people on MTBR replaced the stem as one of their first upgrades, but that seems like an ignorant waste of money to me, as this stem is lighter than a Syncros Bear Hug or a Holzfeller or a FSA DH300 or a host of other stems out there. What might I suffer from running it? Usage will be trail right now, upgrading to FR eventually, well, light FR.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
That's what I thought. I've never been able to figure out why people shell out so much for a stem, as long as it's light and not going to break off or break your bar either. Seriously, how hard is it to make a piece of metal that is stiff when it's so short? Bars are a lot longer, undergo the same kind of stress, and yet weigh only a little more. Doesn't make sense to me, seeing all these overbuilt, overheavy, overly priced stems out there. Sure, I'd like to lose 70g and get a Thomson X4 eventually, but until I do, I'ma run this one.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
So should I run this stem? Seems that a lot of people on MTBR replaced the stem as one of their first upgrades, but that seems like an ignorant waste of money to me, as this stem is lighter than a Syncros Bear Hug or a Holzfeller or a FSA DH300 or a host of other stems out there. What might I suffer from running it? Usage will be trail right now, upgrading to FR eventually, well, light FR.
keep it, looks well made to me, plus if you say its light, and has no welds....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Freaking awesome, my first bike part with it's own identity. Can his last name be Braski? .2 Foot tall, .00022 Ton sonuvabitch!! To Bob Braski!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by erikkellison
Doesn't make sense to me, seeing all these overbuilt, overheavy, overly priced stems out there. Sure, I'd like to lose 70g and get a Thomson X4 eventually, but until I do, I'ma run this one.
people drop the extra cash on a stem for stiffness, and (for dh guys) durability. i dropped 70 on my diablous and it has paid for itself 10 times over. its acctually gonna be one of the few components that get transfered over to my new sunday when i acctually get the cash to build it.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I've never felt a short stem that has any degree of flexibility though...
And what's there for durability? How does a stem get wrecked??? How is your heavy Diabolus stem paid for itself - what has it done to do this? I don't understand...
I once heard a long time ago about some Azonic ORC stems breaking at the welds, but that's all. Since then, nothing.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree Erik. Pricey stems are kind of a waste if you're not looking to save every gram possible. But for a racer looking to get the lightest bike possible, or for someone who hates lining up stems (so they use a direct mount), an expensive stem is worth it.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I agree Erik. Pricey stems are kind of a waste if you're not looking to save every gram possible. But for a racer looking to get the lightest bike possible, or for someone who hates lining up stems (so they use a direct mount), an expensive stem is worth it.

agree fully.

for me its either a well picked generic (hopefully without any brand so i know im not paying for a logo just for logos sake) or a thomson x4.

i dont see the point in any other stem and any substantially lighter than a thomson i dont think is worth giving up the stiffness and reliability for.

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
the way that it has the markings on it to show how much pressure should be applied makes me think it could be a scott stem, they do that pointless practice on their bikes/components.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Ninja un-edit:
When one holds the X.4 in your hand, memories flash in your mind of the days of Zelda. You stand there beaming with pride and thrust the gleaming gem in the air.....and then just keep on going through the damn maze again.....

But oh in that moment of glory.....

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I luv me an X4... Direct mount sure is convenient though... X4's are just soooo preeeeety!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
That's what I thought. I've never been able to figure out why people shell out so much for a stem, as long as it's light and not going to break off or break your bar either. Seriously, how hard is it to make a piece of metal that is stiff when it's so short? Bars are a lot longer, undergo the same kind of stress, and yet weigh only a little more. Doesn't make sense to me, seeing all these overbuilt, overheavy, overly priced stems out there. Sure, I'd like to lose 70g and get a Thomson X4 eventually, but until I do, I'ma run this one.
Sometimes you just need to drop some dope $$$ to get the bling :cupidarrow: :biggrin:

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
I find most cheaper stems (and a few pricey ones) will slip on the steerer tube. Usually, expensive stems clamp more securely, for example, the Straitline vertical wedge.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Please dude, all steer tube mounted stems will twist if hit hard enough. The older thomson stems has some wedge system too, it didn't really help. Saying expensive stems (that you just so happen to sell) slip less, is a load of crap.

99% of stems simply clamp down with 2 bolts, they all hold pretty much the same unless the manufacturer was incompetent and the tolerances were way off.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I see what you're saying, but really, most of the clamping mechanisms are the same. Funny thing is, The Thomson/old school Syntace bolt clamp kinda sucks. I like the pinch method when the whole clamp bends, which is what most people use. The Straitline is a weird exception, a very unique design, and an exception to the rule.
Got any other examples, specific examples, of stems you've had luck with, and ones you haven't?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Straitline is a weird exception, a very unique design, and an exception to the rule.
Unique design in a "let's be different just to be different and possibly convince people it's better" sort of way.

Seriously, a stem is a stem. You pay for weight and tolerances or sometimes a fancy finish and that's about it.

Same idea as a front 20mm hub.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
99% of stems simply clamp down with 2 bolts, they all hold pretty much the same unless the manufacturer was incompetent and the tolerances were way off.
Hot dog we have a wiener.

Sorry for the spam, but the Straitline stem's wedge holds so tight that you can actually remove the bolts (but don't ride it like that) and it will stay snug.